FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » How I can disable the email address?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
How I can disable the email address? [message #167257] Sat, 26 May 2012 05:53 Go to next message
WhiteTiger is currently offline  WhiteTiger   
In their profile the users have "Show the email address=NO", but when they write in a Forum linked with a Newsgroup of Usenet the address is public.

In a Newsreader (Thunderbird) it is showed in the field "From" and "Reply To:"

Where is the wrong configuration?
In the User Profiles or in FUDF?

Thanks.

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167261 is a reply to message #167257] Sat, 26 May 2012 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
This is expected behavior. The "Show email address" setting is only applicable to messages within the forum. As soon as a message is propagated outside of FUDforum, we are not responsible for protecting it and FUDforum's setting doesn't apply.

Note that we cannot post anonymous messages to mailing lists and Usenet groups. If we do, it will look like SPAM and we would not be able to sync it back into the forum.

If security/privacy is a concern, keep you messages within the forum.
Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167264 is a reply to message #167261] Sat, 26 May 2012 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhiteTiger is currently offline  WhiteTiger   Italy
I'm not agree with you.
If I publish my email address in the Usenet, then I'll receive a lot of spam.
Who works with a newsreader usually puts a fake address in his/her profile because the true address is need only to connect the newsreader to the news server.

Usually I don't work with Google Groups, but if I don't remember bad there is an option to show or not my profile.
Surely there is the alias.

If FUDF is not able to protect the privacy of the user, then I've many doubts that someone will want to use it.
They'll continue to use the newsreader.

This is my situation and my main problem. Maybe it this is not for you, but this is my reality.
Finally I found the right instrument to connect my users to Usenet, but without a solution for the user privacy, now I'll be forced to renounce to use it.
Would be a pity!

Thanks for your reply.

[Updated on: Sat, 26 May 2012 09:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167265 is a reply to message #167264] Sat, 26 May 2012 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you post a message to a Usenet group or mailing list your e-mail address would be exposed. The same applies when FUDforum sends a message to an external entity.

To he honest, I don't really care if you use the software of not, but you are obviously welcome to provide patches to improve it.
Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167266 is a reply to message #167265] Sat, 26 May 2012 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj ha scritto in data Sat, 26 May 2012 05:50

To he honest, I don't really care if you use the software of not, but you are obviously welcome to provide patches to improve it.

Razz
Thank for you sincerity.
However I did not want to pressure you, but simply to tell you my difficulties.

A solution can be to give to user the possibility to choice if:
1) to use his/her email and username
2) to use another email and an alias
3) To use his name or an alias, but to use a generic FUDF email.

With the first option the user keeps the responsibility of his/her address.
With the second the user keeps the responsibility to use a fake address.

With the third option is the admin manager to define for every newsgroup a email address to use when FUDF send message to Usenet.
In this case I can decide if to use a fake address or to use a real address, where to collect any email and then, if I want, throw them in to basket.
In this manner the "rules" about how to work with Usenet are observed, but I can always to protect the user privacy.

The admin must decide if his system can manage the solution or to leave the things as are now.
Then user must decide which solution is good for him.

Thanks for your attention.

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167267 is a reply to message #167266] Sat, 26 May 2012 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerrys is currently offline  jerrys
Frank,

I can understand his problem. I use a slightly mmunged email address on Usenet (with instructions on how to fix it). This stops the automated harvesting of my email address, yet lets individual users contact me. It does help.

Perhaps something similar - munge the email address (or allow the user to have an email address for display) could be done.
Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167269 is a reply to message #167267] Sun, 27 May 2012 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerrys ha scritto in data Sat, 26 May 2012 15:19
Frank,

I can understand his problem. I use a slightly mmunged email address on Usenet (with instructions on how to fix it). This stops the automated harvesting of my email address, yet lets individual users contact me. It does help.

Perhaps something similar - munge the email address (or allow the user to have an email address for display) could be done.

I agree.
In the profile, user can choice if he/she wants:
1) not to show email
2) to show email
3) to show another email address, with a field where he/she can write the new address
In this case is the user that will write a munged address, without any responsibility of the FUDF code to change it.

Or in alternative, the profile will ask:
"For Forum, want you to publish or not your email address?"
"For Usenet, want you to publish your real email address or another email address? (with the field)"

For system messages or emails between users FUDF will use the real address, and for Usenet FUDF will use the choice of the second question.

Thanks Jerry

[Updated on: Sun, 27 May 2012 07:18]

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167272 is a reply to message #167269] Sun, 27 May 2012 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It's easier said than done. If we obfuscate the e-mail address, FUDforum will create a new user if the message is imported again.

Anyway, this is not something I'm going to work on, but you guys are welcome to start working on a solution.
Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167284 is a reply to message #167272] Mon, 28 May 2012 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sorry, but I've not understood.
FUDF creates the users based on their email?
So if a user changes the email I have two users?
I thought that FUDF creates the users based on their username.

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167285 is a reply to message #167284] Mon, 28 May 2012 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You are welcome to work through the program to understand the logic. In summary, if an e-mail or post is loaded, we need to reverse lookup the username from the e-mail address. If we don't find it, we create a new user for the new e-mail address.
Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167416 is a reply to message #167285] Mon, 18 June 2012 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you tell me where is managed the email address for Usenet?

Thanks

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167423 is a reply to message #167416] Mon, 18 June 2012 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I don't understand the question. Usenet doesn't have an e-mail address. However, every single user on FUDforum must have an e-mail address. Use the forum's User Manager ACP to see them.
Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167426 is a reply to message #167423] Mon, 18 June 2012 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the previous message of this thread we have talk about the need to send a fake email address or at least a "common" email because users don't want to publish in Usenet his real email address to avoid a lot of spam.

I wish to try to manage a some solutions, but I need to know where in the FUDF code there is the function that send the message with the email address.

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167428 is a reply to message #167426] Tue, 19 June 2012 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Found! It is nntp.inc.
But I've not understood because at lines 208-209 there is

if ($GLOBALS['FUD_OPT_3'] & Cool { // NNTP_OBFUSCATE_EMAIL
$from = str_replace(array('.', '@'), array('[dot]', '[at]'), $from);

and then the email is not obfuscated.
Where you restore the correct syntax?
However I solved my problem, but only partially.

I need to know where you convert $from in email address.

I'll write you in private
Thanks

[Updated on: Tue, 19 June 2012 06:20]

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167429 is a reply to message #167428] Tue, 19 June 2012 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
OK, didn't realize we had an option like this. In the Global Settings Manager:

Obfuscate E-mails in NNTP posts:
Whether or not to obfuscate user e-mails when sending e-mails from FUDforum to newsgroups.
Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167430 is a reply to message #167429] Tue, 19 June 2012 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But this is a new option?
There was also in 3.0.4RC2? Shocked

If yes, then I have surely change the glasses.

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167431 is a reply to message #167430] Tue, 19 June 2012 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It's a very old option, probably added between 5 to 10 years back. Way before my time.
Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167432 is a reply to message #167431] Tue, 19 June 2012 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj ha scritto in data Tue, 19 June 2012 02:29
It's a very old option, probably added between 5 to 10 years back. Way before my time.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ok. this morning I'll buy a new glasses and a pair of sunglasses and then I start for holiday because this year I worked heavy. Very Happy

However in this thread nobody talked about this option and so I always thought about the need of a some modify of the code.

Then I write you.
For the moment, thank of all and... sorry.

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167433 is a reply to message #167432] Tue, 19 June 2012 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You sure that this is option works correctly?
Now I'll do other test, but this sintax (name[at]domain[dot]suffix) seems to be not correct for usenet and the messages is not sent with an error in the log.
This is the same result of my last tests.
The code "puts" the field $from and it seems that it content is the username, but then in the newsgroup is sent the address. Where?

I would ask you if available some documentation about FUDForum code.
Next week I've a meeting with some colleagues and I whant ask to take code to make some modify, above all the integration with newsgroups and mailing list other than integration of FUDForum with mediawiki and PHPMyFAQ.

Which development environment you use?

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167436 is a reply to message #167433] Tue, 19 June 2012 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
No, I'm not sure. I don't use it and probably never will.

I develop on a Linux server with the vim text editor. Nothing else.
Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167437 is a reply to message #167436] Tue, 19 June 2012 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I wrote, me and my colleagues might be interested in collaborating, but first I would like to know if there is some documentation to get started.

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167453 is a reply to message #167437] Fri, 22 June 2012 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've done a simple and little change of the your code related to option "Obfuscate E-mails in NNTP posts".

at line 209 of nntp.inc
You change @ with [at] and the dot with [dot].
$from = str_replace(array('.', '@'), array('[dot]', '[at]'), $from);

My nntp server rejects this sintax with an error.
This is strange. Is it only a problem with Ethernal September?
If no, how is possible that nobody has never saw the error?
I'm still wrong somewhere else?

However I changed the row 209 with this:
$from = str_replace(array('@'), array('.nospam@nospam.'), $from);

The final result is: John(dot)Wayne(dot)nospam(at)nospam(dot)mydomain(dot)com

Bye

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2012 10:07]

Re: How I can disable the email address? [message #167457 is a reply to message #167453] Sat, 23 June 2012 16:28 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks for the update, I'll change the code accordingly.

W.r.t. documentation, everything we have in on the wiki. Please feel free to add pages or to edit/expand exiting topics as you work through them. A good start is SVN (check-out the source code to your PC).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: How to redirect Forum name?
Next Topic: Configuring FUDForum to use Exim MTA
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 07:56:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02494 seconds