FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Include Yahoogroup Mailing functionality
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Include Yahoogroup Mailing functionality [message #7357] Tue, 19 November 2002 12:04 Go to next message
Micha37 is currently offline  Micha37   Germany
Hi there,

I understood that it is possible to post a forum message to a certain e-mail address by using the mailinglist feature.

What would be very nice, is a script that imports mails from a defined Mail account, writes them into a forum and forwards them to subscribed members, similar as yahoogroups is doing.

I have checked many times for a script, which can do this, but so far no result.

I assume that this function would give a real boost to FudForum, which is already now the best forum, which I found.

Thanks for considering my proposal and very best regards

Michael

Re: Include Yahoogroup Mailing functionality [message #7365 is a reply to message #7357] Tue, 19 November 2002 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm, why not use the existing script, plus how will the script be able to import from a mailbox? It would be in competition with your regular mail retrieval script.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Include Yahoogroup Mailing functionality [message #7366 is a reply to message #7365] Tue, 19 November 2002 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

thanks for your message.
In my idea the script should do the following steps:

In case a member send an e-mail to the group:
  1. Registered Members will send e-mails to a designated E-Mail Address.
  2. FUDForum imports this mails from the mailserver (POP3)
  3. FUDForum automatically forwards this mail to the e-mail addresses of all registered members for that particular forum.

In case a member writes an online message to the forum:
  1. FUDForum forwards this mail to the e-mail addresses of all registered members for that particular forum.

In my understanding the current scripts can not do this, isn't it?

Best regards

Michael
Re: Include Yahoogroup Mailing functionality [message #7367 is a reply to message #7366] Tue, 19 November 2002 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The current script will work with any mail drop mechanism that will pipe the message to it. The mail drop mechanism to setup is procmail, however there are others.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Include Yahoogroup Mailing functionality [message #7369 is a reply to message #7367] Tue, 19 November 2002 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I understand but my problem is, that I do not have any access to my providers mail handler. I can register new Mail accounts but thats about all I can do.

In this case it seems no chance for me.

Best regards

Michael
Re: Include Yahoogroup Mailing functionality [message #7371 is a reply to message #7369] Tue, 19 November 2002 17:14 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well then the alternative for you would be to write or download a PHP/Perl/C script that could connect to your POP3(?) mailbox and retrieve appropriate messages.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Attaching one thread to another
Next Topic: Content-Type in e-mail messages
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 20:37:27 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02437 seconds