FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » i cannot delete the server root and data root folders..
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  i cannot delete the server root and data root folders.. [message #8726] Tue, 18 February 2003 04:11 Go to next message
genqs is currently offline  genqs   Germany
hi there,

i have installed, no, i have tried to install the forum, but i have done something wrong. however, now i want to delete the files and folders, that have been generated during the installation.

when i try to delete a folder (i.e. "server root/images") with my ftp client says "permission denied". Confused

how can i delete the folders, generated during the installation?
..to install the forum in another directory after that.

info: there is php safe mode on my web-server.

thanks a lot in advance

bye

gen

hey, great forum btw. nice spell-checking Smile

--update
my ftp client program told me, that the folders, which were created during the installation, are created by user "wwwrun"
... can ich delete all the files and folders with a php-scipt or something like that?
server root and server data are installed in a folder called "forum". does anyone know a php-scipt, that maybe can delete everything in that specified folder, no matter if these files were created by "wwwrun"?

please help
gen

[Updated on: Tue, 18 February 2003 19:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: i cannot delete the server root and data root folders.. [message #8769 is a reply to message #8726] Fri, 21 February 2003 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Use a PHP script to delete those files/directories, as they are owned by the webserver users and you will not be able to remove them manually.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: i cannot delete the server root and data root folders.. [message #8787 is a reply to message #8726] Sat, 22 February 2003 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
genqs is currently offline  genqs   Germany
thanks
hm..

i am a php newbie. i´ve tried this:
<?php
delete("forum_server_root")
?>

but its not working.. obviously i have no clue about php stuff..
can someone pleasy post a script to delete those files, please.

thanks very much

gen
Re: i cannot delete the server root and data root folders.. [message #8797 is a reply to message #8787] Sat, 22 February 2003 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
To remove a file use the unlink() function, to remove a directory (must be empty 1st) use the rmdir() function.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon9.gif  I need help with this too... [message #9416 is a reply to message #8726] Wed, 26 March 2003 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
k-san   United States
Do you have to specify each file individually to get rid of it? If so that's a lot of work v_-;

Considering that the install.php has instructions creating all of these files, is there an uninstall script or at least a list of all the files used ready? I know uninstalling the forum isn't something the team here generally works on, but the uninstallation is fairly difficult for people who have pretty much no PHP skill...
Re: I need help with this too... [message #9433 is a reply to message #9416] Thu, 27 March 2003 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've previously posted a script that would remove all files & directories.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10118 is a reply to message #9433] Tue, 20 May 2003 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jokerxx is currently offline  jokerxx   Norway
and where can i find this script then?
A direct link please?
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10119 is a reply to message #10118] Tue, 20 May 2003 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stevie is currently offline  stevie   United States
I looked around and I couldn't find such a script here either. But this thread probably gives good clues on how to write one:

http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=42&rid=878

It would be nice to have a simple script available, that can be run from outside the FUD installation that can quickly open up all the permissions. -Steve
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10122 is a reply to message #10119] Tue, 20 May 2003 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont how to write such a php file, but thanks anyway.
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10124 is a reply to message #10122] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
uninstall.php is part of the 2.5.0 release. You can download that release and inside it you will find the un-install script which can be used against any FUDforum release.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10127 is a reply to message #10124] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm..ok, how do i extract this file? I cant install the new version anywhere..i get an error.

Re: I need help with this too... [message #10128 is a reply to message #10127] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Just download the intall archive from the webiste and decompress it with your favorite decompression utility. You should get a few files one of them being install.php (don't need it) and the other uninstall.php (you need it).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10130 is a reply to message #10128] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh oki..i thought it only was the install.php and some readme files there in the zip...i will download it again and give it a try.
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10131 is a reply to message #10128] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I downloaded the May 16 version this morning. It unarchived into a folder containing exactly 4 files, 3 text files (COPYING, CREDITS, README) and the install.php file.

I don't see any other php file at all.

At any rate, I don't personally want to un-install my installation, I just want to unprotect it, so I can sniff around in the various files, for troubleshooting.

-Steve
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10132 is a reply to message #10131] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you want to 'unprotect' the files, you can use the "Lock/Unlock Forum's Files" admin control panel to unlock all of the forum's files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10134 is a reply to message #10131] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uhm..your right. i just downloaded every file there. no such php :-/
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10135 is a reply to message #10132] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Tue, 20 May 2003 14:40

If you want to 'unprotect' the files, you can use the "Lock/Unlock Forum's Files" admin control panel to unlock all of the forum's files.

thats to late for me, i was stupid and started the delet from my ftp program. så i can reach that menu anymore..
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10138 is a reply to message #10128] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Tue, 20 May 2003 14:25

Just download the intall archive from the webiste and decompress it with your favorite decompression utility. You should get a few files one of them being install.php (don't need it) and the other uninstall.php (you need it).

Can you please publish the file? Or mail the file?
It's not in the compressed files in the download sections
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10155 is a reply to message #10138] Wed, 21 May 2003 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just noticed there is a new 2.5 rc installer in the download section with today's date (May 21, 2003) and it does include an uninstall script.

What I'd really like to have is an "un-protect" script, so that idiots like me with hosting accounts that can't chown folders could unprotect the fudforum folders. Ideally there would also be an option to re-protect them afterwards as well. I know this is do-able within fudforum -- but if fudforum won't run for some reason it would be good to have a back door other than simply removing the whole installation.

Thanks! -Steve
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10156 is a reply to message #10138] Wed, 21 May 2003 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
RC2 packages have this file now.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10157 is a reply to message #10155] Wed, 21 May 2003 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Un-protect script or more precisely option already exists. Just go to the admin control panel and use the "Lock/Unlock Forum's Files" option to either protect or un-protect forum's files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10160 is a reply to message #10157] Wed, 21 May 2003 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
either I'm missing your point or you're missing mine Smile

The built-in script is fine if fudforum is running.

But if for some reason fudforum isn't running, it would be good to have an external php script to unprotect those folders.

For instance, let's say that you have fudforum running fine, and then all of the sudden some problem happens that disables fudforum. For instance, one of the crucial php scripts is corrupted, or the mysql server goes down, or something like that. There are various conditions that could cause fudforum to not operate. In a situation like that the admin would want to debug the problem which might involve poking around in the fodforum folders (looking at logs, figuring out if one of the php scripts is bad, etc.)

I'm a newbie but maybe I'll try to figure out such a script - I just assume it would be trivial for you and may help us to debug our own problems rather than rely on you so much. -Steve
Re: I need help with this too... [message #10178 is a reply to message #10160] Thu, 22 May 2003 14:00 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
hmm...
I guess I could write an unprotect.php that would 'unlock' the forum's files. Although the situation you've described is pretty darn unlikely. Because even if you messed up the forum's file you usually will still be able to login via the admin control panel.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion
Next Topic: How to remove installation in safe mode
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 21:54:27 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02521 seconds