FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Using FUDForum As a Mailing List Gateway
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Using FUDForum As a Mailing List Gateway [message #8927] Sun, 02 March 2003 20:53 Go to next message
jgbutler is currently offline  jgbutler   United States
I'm a new system admin who's stuggling to learn about FUDForum and its use as a mailing list gateway. I've created a mailing list rule, which resulted in an "Exec Line" of

/www/html/forum/data/scripts/maillist.php 1

for the mailing list

playlist(at)www(dot)tcf(dot)ua(dot)edu

But now I'm stuck. I've never worked with Procmail before and don't know where to begin. I Googled around a bit for it and read through docs at www.procmail.org, but I'm still lost.

How can I tell if Procmail is, indeed, processing mail? (My system is RedHat 8, using Postfix as an MTA, and FUDforum 2.3.7.)

I assume I need to create a .procmailrc file for FUDforum, but I can't find a file named that on my system. Where does it live? Should I create a new one for FUDforum?

Thanks for the assistance!

Jeremy
Re: Using FUDForum As a Mailing List Gateway [message #8939 is a reply to message #8927] Mon, 03 March 2003 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Procmail includes a statics/debug utility that will let you see how were the messages sent handled. Just enable verbose logging to make sure you get the most detailed messages possible.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Using FUDForum As a Mailing List Gateway [message #8947 is a reply to message #8939] Mon, 03 March 2003 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Mon, 03 March 2003 09:29

Procmail includes a statics/debug utility that will let you see how were the messages sent handled. Just enable verbose logging to make sure you get the most detailed messages possible.

Thanks, prottoss. Please forgive my denseness, but how does Procmail get executed? Does it run from a cron job?

Sorry to be so clueless, but I've never configured Procmail before.

Thanks for the help!
Re: Using FUDForum As a Mailing List Gateway [message #8949 is a reply to message #8947] Mon, 03 March 2003 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
No, procmail works like this.
A message arrives, but instead of going directly to your mailbox it 1st goes through procmail, which determines what to do with the message. Cron is not needed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Using FUDForum As a Mailing List Gateway [message #8962 is a reply to message #8949] Tue, 04 March 2003 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Mon, 03 March 2003 09:59

No, procmail works like this.
A message arrives, but instead of going directly to your mailbox it 1st goes through procmail, which determines what to do with the message.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still missing out on something, I think. Perhaps this is because I installed FUDforum as root and not as a regular user. Thus I don't have a user's .procmailrc to insert the pipe into.

Is this correct? Does FUDforum need to be installed as a non-root user?

Thanks for the assistance.
Re: Using FUDForum As a Mailing List Gateway [message #8963 is a reply to message #8962] Tue, 04 March 2003 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Unless you have previously used procmail you will not have such a file, meaning that you will need to create it yourself. The only requirment is that you have the procmail utility installed on your system.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Using FUDForum As a Mailing List Gateway [message #8965 is a reply to message #8927] Tue, 04 March 2003 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which directory should .procmailrc be put in?

Since I'm running FUDforum as root and since root is aliased to another user, root does not have his own mail directory for receiving mail.

Should .procmailrc go into the mail directory for the root alias?

Thanks for the help.
Re: Using FUDForum As a Mailing List Gateway [message #8978 is a reply to message #8965] Wed, 05 March 2003 17:03 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Usually that files resides in your home directory.
Read procmail.org for more details.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: fudforun still accessing old server
Next Topic: "Archive did pass checksum test, CORRUPT ARCHIVE!"
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 16:15:46 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02132 seconds