FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #982] Tue, 19 March 2002 02:33 Go to next message
ajeffco   United States

First off, what a fabulous product!!! Tripped over it quite by accident, but after installing it, looks good, runs fast, and is easy to install and use.

I am, however, having 1 problem, and have 1 question.

The problem is, I've set my global timezone to NY, which displays on the page, but the time is off of the system's time by 5 hours (5 hours ahead.) This is happening for all users (All 2 of us so far Smile .)

Now, the question(s). I've looked high and low in the config pages, and cannot find a place to change the "from" address on the confirmation e-mail. Is this a configurable? If not, then how do I change?

TIA
Al Jeffcoat
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #983 is a reply to message #982] Tue, 19 March 2002 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
To change the address from which the forum's emails are being sent, edit the GLOBALS.php file and change the NOTIFY_FROM option.

I'll add it to global control panel in the next release.

About the timezone 2 questions:

1) Which OS are you using?
2) Could you give me a URL to your forum please?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #985 is a reply to message #983] Tue, 19 March 2002 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ajeffco   United States

Thanks. Modified that, does it have to be a real user in the system? I know if they respond to it, then it will get rejected if it's not. But I shouldn't think that they would respond to that e-mail. <EDIT> Duh, nm... made an alias for that id to my real userid Smile </EDIT>

I'm using AIX 4.3.3
http://aixinfo.alnglori.net/forum

[Updated on: Tue, 19 March 2002 04:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #986 is a reply to message #985] Tue, 19 March 2002 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can put "anything" inside that field, it does not have to be a valid email address...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #987 is a reply to message #986] Tue, 19 March 2002 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
About the timezone I think I know what the problem is, but need 1 more peice of info.

Could you see if you can find a file called: "zone.tab" it contains a list of timezones supported by your system, and attach gzip of it to your reply. The forum deals with timezones by exporting TZ shell variable which UNIX systems use to determine time settings.
I suspect since our timezone list was built based on latest Linux distro it may have timezones not found on older systems such as Solaris & AIX.

Also, try using other timezones such as US Eastern, that should be the same timezone as NY.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #988 is a reply to message #987] Tue, 19 March 2002 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ajeffco   United States

I tried to find that zone.tab file, *.tab, no luck.

I also looked on the list, and there was no US/Eastern choice... I tried using other time zones, but the amount of time did not change...

I went to a shell, and echo the $TZ env variable, and there's the output:

---
# echo $TZ
EST5EDT,,
---

And by the way, amazingly fast response time for support... I don't get this response from ANY of the vendors where I work at, that we pay for even Very Happy... Great job.
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #989 is a reply to message #988] Tue, 19 March 2002 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmmm it looks like AIX may have its own timezone entries, which do not correspond with the ones used on Linux & FreeBSD...

I'll need to do a weebit of research on this, never had the pleasure to deal with AIX so I really dunno...

Can you can if you have "timezone" directory, it should be inside one of your system's share directories, /usr/share/, /usr/local/share/ etc...

If you find it, please gimme 'ls -l' listing of that directory..

Thanks

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #990 is a reply to message #988] Tue, 19 March 2002 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ajeffco   United States

AIX probably does it different, like a lot of other things. Here's a link with info on the TZ settings...

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/files/aixfiles/envir onment.htm#A243Y98ff1

I coulnd't find the directory you were talking about, did a "find -type d -name timezone -print", and nothing...

If you would like, if it will help, I can give you ssh access to my box.

I can also call IBM SupportLine, and get any info you might need.

Al
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #991 is a reply to message #990] Tue, 19 March 2002 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks for the doc, it does appear AIX handles timezones completely differently, I *think* I know how to make a fix for the problem now.

If you could give me a temporary ssh account it'd be very useful Smile
if you can, make the login "prottoss" and you can make password whatever you feel like and send me the account details to ilia(at)prohost(dot)org.

If all goes well I'll have a patch for you pretty soon...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #992 is a reply to message #991] Tue, 19 March 2002 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ajeffco   United States

Done. I've sent you the info.

Al
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #994 is a reply to message #992] Tue, 19 March 2002 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ajeffco   United States

Simply amazing... The new tz.inc fixed it Very Happy
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #996 is a reply to message #994] Tue, 19 March 2002 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ajeffco   United States

well, spoke too soon Sad... It works for a user, but not for an anonymous user

Al
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #997 is a reply to message #996] Tue, 19 March 2002 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Obviously Smile

You need to go Admin Control Panel and CHANGE the forum's default timezone, this is the timezone used for anon users.

Since I presume you did not do that timezones are still broken for anon users.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Tue, 19 March 2002 06:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #998 is a reply to message #997] Tue, 19 March 2002 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ajeffco   United States

I did this before I wrote my last post. I changed it (when I went in, the default was Co-ordinated Universal Time) to Eastern United States / Columbia. Closed my browser, and restarted just in case... Still the same thing. The time is still off by 5 hours for anon users.
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #999 is a reply to message #998] Tue, 19 March 2002 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmmm okie 1 sec... let me check this problem...
You do appear to have a correct value for SERVER_TZ...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #1000 is a reply to message #999] Tue, 19 March 2002 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Could you try changing the default server TZ to something other then it current timezone and see if that works?

I am still looking but cannot see a reason why would the timezones work for registered users and not anonymous, all data appears to be valid now...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #1001 is a reply to message #1000] Tue, 19 March 2002 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ajeffco   United States

Assuming you meant change the server time zone inside of FUDforum, I changed it to pacific, and same thing, as an anonymous user, the time is 5 hours offset from my current time (5 hours ahead). As a registered user, it is correct.
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #1002 is a reply to message #1001] Tue, 19 March 2002 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Anoying Sad

Would it be possible for you to meet me on IRC... I'll give you a few debug steps that will hopefuly help me resolve this prob.

If you can, connect to irc.openprojects.net #fudforum, otherwise let me know and I'll paste'em here...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation [message #1003 is a reply to message #982] Tue, 19 March 2002 07:15 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Issue resolved.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Problems Problems
Next Topic: new problem - will not start
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 20:09:07 GMT 2024