FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10075] Sat, 17 May 2003 11:20 Go to next message
ncben is currently offline  ncben   Hong Kong
heres the forum i just set up:
http://forum.hkpopmusic.com/rc1b/index.php
2.3.9RC1 sucessfully installed using the 2.5 RC1b database( that means mySQL database has no problem)
http://forum.hkpopmusic.com/beta(2.39rc1)

by da way, the install.php script told me "Installion Complete."
After i press the button "Finsh", i got an error.
what is the problem? thanks. Sad

[Updated on: Sun, 18 May 2003 06:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10076 is a reply to message #10075] Sat, 17 May 2003 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
What error did you get? I cannot see it because in the rc1b directory index.php is disabled.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10116 is a reply to message #10076] Tue, 20 May 2003 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stevie is currently offline  stevie   United States
Hmmm, I'm trying to install 2.5RC1b (FUDforum21_20030516) also, and I'm also getting a fatal error.

I went through all 5 of the installation steps ok, and then I deleted install.php.

When I go to http//MYDOMAIN.com/fud/ I get the following message:

Fatal error:  SQL Error has occurred, 
please contact the administrator of the forum 
and have them review the forum's SQL query 
on line 56

Any ideas? -Steve

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2003 19:12]

Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10123 is a reply to message #10116] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Please send me the contents of the sql_errors file, which can be found in the 'errors' directory of the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10129 is a reply to message #10116] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, arggh.

I can see my FUDforum/errors/ folder, but I can't get into it -- no permissions. It doesn't seem like I can use my ftp client to change the permissions on that folder either.

And since I can't start up FUDforum on this hosted machine, I can't use FUDforum to change the permissions.

What's my next step? -Steve
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10133 is a reply to message #10129] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm can you try to login to the forum as the admin?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10136 is a reply to message #10133] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think so, that's the problem!

Either address I go to:

http://www.MYDOMAIN.com/fud/ or

http://www.MYDOMAIN.com/fud/index.php?t=login&adm=1

I get the same result:
Fatal error:  SQL Error has occurred, 
please contact the administrator of the forum 
and have them review the forum's SQL query 
on line 56

The 5-step install went fine, but I've never been able to log into the forum. I'm not sure what SQL error there is, but I can see by looking at the sql admin app that 25 or so tables were created, so the install.php app was able to successfully talk to the sql server.

Is there some "backdoor" I can use to get to the FUDforum page that will allow me to un-protect the folders? Or just some simple php script? I'm curious to see that error log! Thanks. -Steve

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2003 19:12]

Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10137 is a reply to message #10136] Tue, 20 May 2003 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You could try to login via the admin login panel at:
http://www.MYDOMAIN.com/fud/adm/

If that does not work, here is what you need to do.
Create (inside the directory where you've installed the forum) and run the following PHP script:
<?php
include "GLOBALS.php";
readfile($GLOBALS['DATA_DIR'] . 'errors/sql_errors');
?>

It should output the error strings.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10139 is a reply to message #10137] Tue, 20 May 2003 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I created and ran the script - it generated a file that appears to be encrypted somehow? The dates & times are in English, but then there's about 400 characters of gibberish following them. How can I convert these strings into something useful for debugging? -Thanks, Steve
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10140 is a reply to message #10139] Tue, 20 May 2003 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The error messages are base64 encoded, so you need to pass them via base64_decode() function first.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10141 is a reply to message #10140] Tue, 20 May 2003 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting, hmm, my error messages not only placed in a directory that I can't get to but they are encoded also. This sounds like great security to help prevent me from debugging my problem Razz Rolling Eyes

Okie dokie, I've translated the string:

(index.php) 1044: 
Access denied for user: 'MYDOMAIN_fuduser@localhost' to database 'MYDOMAIN_fud'<br />
Query: LOCK TABLES fud25_ses WRITE<br />
Server Version: 4.0.12<br />

Any idea what this means?

BTW, for anyone else that mioht want to interpret base64, I found a handy web site:

http://www.wc.cc.va.us/dtod/base64/default.asp

Thanks for any advice. -Steve
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10142 is a reply to message #10141] Tue, 20 May 2003 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Normally you view messages through the error viewer and for sake of easy parsing the messages are base64 encoded.

The error is very interesting, it appears that your user account does not have permission to set LOCKs on tables. This is not a FUDforum problem, but rather something you need to ask your system admin to do for you. You need to have them give you permission to set LOCKs on your tables.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10144 is a reply to message #10142] Tue, 20 May 2003 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's very interesting. I've sent a message to my webhost (www.myacen.com) asking them what's up. They tell me that locking privileges are off by default, and they're curious why the script needs to lock tables.

Rolling Eyes

In your experience, is this a common issue with hosted web sites?

Also, do many php scripts for forums, etc. need to lock database tables?

-Steve
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10145 is a reply to message #10144] Tue, 20 May 2003 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Most webhosters who support MySQL grant locking priveleges because without the ability to create table locks you cannot ensure data integrity. Especially when you can have multiple requests to the database occur in the same instance.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10146 is a reply to message #10145] Wed, 21 May 2003 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I'm asking them to allow the table locking, but they're clearly uncomfortable. I don't get the impression they have a specific reason, it's probably just a setting that has worked well for them and it sounds like no one has ever asked about it before.

What's involved with removing the locking code from fudforum? Is it really necessary or is it just a matter or a little extra security or speed?

Thanks. -Steve
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10147 is a reply to message #10146] Wed, 21 May 2003 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Table locking is for neither security nor speed. It basically prevents having 1 application writing data and the other trying to read the same data. Without locks this causes undefined behaviour. I am guessing your ISP had bad experience with dead locks (unreleased lock) because of some badly written code. So they came up with a 'solution' it being disabling of locking priveleges.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10148 is a reply to message #10147] Wed, 21 May 2003 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I said "security" I actually meant data integrity.

At any rate, is fudforum locking these tables for any specific reason or just the general practice of being sure that some application somewhere isn't writing to the tables at the same time?

Has fudforum always done this locking? If so, then what my host is doing must indeed be rare, if this hasn't come up before.

Thanks for the help. -Steve

Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10153 is a reply to message #10148] Wed, 21 May 2003 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good news!

My host (myacen.com) turned on the ability for table locking, and now my installation is working fine.

Thanks for helping me debug this. -Steve
Re: 2.5 RC1b - Fatal Error after the installion [message #10158 is a reply to message #10153] Wed, 21 May 2003 13:12 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum has been using table locks since the first release. When possible to avoid table locks they are not used, however in a number of instances when data is inserted they are unavoidable and therefor are used.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: what the F??
Next Topic: i cannot delete the server root and data root folders..
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 21:29:56 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02851 seconds