FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » SEARCH: search for posts by username
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
SEARCH: search for posts by username [message #11201] Sat, 21 June 2003 19:03 Go to next message
Tobias Eigen is currently offline  Tobias Eigen   United States
Hi,

A suggestion:

A vBulletin (I think) feature I am missing in FUD is a form on the search page to look for all posts by a given user. I know this can be done via the member directory, but it seems to me to be intuitive to also have it on the search page. I often come to a forum looking for my own posts, or for posts by a particularly helpful user.

Cheers,

Tobia

Kabissa - Space for change in Africa
Re: SEARCH: search for posts by username [message #11206 is a reply to message #11201] Sat, 21 June 2003 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Actually you can already do this, if you click on the user's profile, on that page there would be 2 links to "show all posts by this user". This, as you can imagine, will show all posts made by that users.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: SEARCH: search for posts by username [message #11207 is a reply to message #11206] Sat, 21 June 2003 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tobias Eigen is currently offline  Tobias Eigen   United States
Hi Protoss (do you ever sleep? Smile)

I know that, but I'm talking about the search page, not the member profile page. I'd love to be able to search by keyword or by username on that page.

Best,

Tobias

Kabissa - Space for change in Africa
Re: SEARCH: search for posts by username [message #11218 is a reply to message #11207] Mon, 23 June 2003 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
My thinking on the matter is such. The search engine to be usefull needs to be extremely easy to use to an average user (take Google for example). Many options will only confuse the user and make them reluctant to use the feature, while the feature may benefit a few advanced used too many options may scare even them.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: SEARCH: search for posts by username [message #11220 is a reply to message #11218] Mon, 23 June 2003 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United States
ok - this rationale makes sense to me. here's another search question: why doesn't anything show up when I search by a user's name?

Cheers,

Tobias
Re: SEARCH: search for posts by username [message #11221 is a reply to message #11220] Mon, 23 June 2003 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The search works based on user's id not their name. Although I suppose allowing to accept a user's login name would be a reasonable feature request.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: SEARCH: search for posts by username [message #11222 is a reply to message #11221] Mon, 23 June 2003 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it exact match? I type in 'tobias' and my posts don't come up.

Another thing I like at vBulletin: on the search page you can see keywords other people have recently searched for. Cool.

Cheers,

Tobias
Re: SEARCH: search for posts by username [message #11223 is a reply to message #11222] Mon, 23 June 2003 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah - I take it back. works this time.
Re: SEARCH: search for posts by username [message #11226 is a reply to message #11223] Mon, 23 June 2003 16:19 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
As as 'cool' as tracking other people's search keywords I think it is mostly a pointless eye candy feature with no real applications. When you go to search you do so not because you want to see what others are searching for but because you are trying to find a specific message/information on the forum. Tracking search is just a pointless query for the forum to execute.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: MAILMAN: using maillist.php as PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER
Next Topic: cc e-mail address while posting
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 21:49:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03864 seconds