FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » General Chit Chat » what is the path_info template ??
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  what is the path_info template ?? [message #14832] Fri, 21 November 2003 19:21 Go to next message
bobmurphy is currently offline  bobmurphy   Ireland
can someone please tell me what is the signifigance of the path_info template -- why is it called path_info and does it have some relationship to file paths -- when would i use it or base another template on it -- i use default as the basis for all my templates -- am i missing out on something ????

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Re: what is the path_info template ?? [message #14836 is a reply to message #14832] Fri, 21 November 2003 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
It's a template which makes URLs appear like directories.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: what is the path_info template ?? [message #14840 is a reply to message #14832] Sat, 22 November 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
bobmurphy wrote on Fri, 21 November 2003 20:21

when would i use it or base another template on it -- i use default as the basis for all my templates -- am i missing out on something ????

The purpose is the following: Search engines usually get along much better with paths which only contain slashes as separator than query strings. Among them the most poweful: Google. If the Google bot stumbles across a query string link it usually doesn't follow it but only indexes the current page it's on. This, of course, isn't optimal for the hits-conscious webmaster and that's exactly where "path-info" kicks in: It makes the links understandable for this kind of bots and as a result the complete forum or site will be indexed, which usually results in higher traffic.
However given the glitches it has had so far and may still have I'd rather consider it "experimental" at this time. But it's already pretty usable now and keeps getting better, thanks to Ilias hard work Smile

Olliver

[Updated on: Sat, 22 November 2003 00:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: what is the path_info template ?? [message #14843 is a reply to message #14832] Sat, 22 November 2003 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bobmurphy is currently offline  bobmurphy   United Kingdom
so it seems to be connected with the path_info option at the end of the global prefs - i did the test there and the browser threw a blank so is it fair to say that seing as my server doesn't support one , it doesnt support the other either??
Re: what is the path_info template ?? [message #14848 is a reply to message #14843] Sat, 22 November 2003 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
it's not your browser that does not support it, but rather your webserver.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: what is the path_info template ?? [message #14853 is a reply to message #14832] Sat, 22 November 2003 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bobmurphy is currently offline  bobmurphy   United Kingdom
Quote:

....so is it fair to say that seing as my server doesn't support one ...

that's what i said ???? Laughing

[Updated on: Sat, 22 November 2003 07:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: what is the path_info template ?? [message #14866 is a reply to message #14843] Sat, 22 November 2003 23:20 Go to previous message
Olliver   Germany
bobmurphy wrote on Sat, 22 November 2003 03:52

i did the test there and the browser threw a blank so is it fair to say that seing as my server doesn't support one , it doesnt support the other either??

In order to use path info you first need to select the appropriate path info themes and compile each of them. I know it works on Apache 1.3.26-29, haven't checked it on Apache 2.x because all servers I got administrative access to run the old 1.3x series and haven't had any ambitions to set up a forum on my testing server at home (Apache 2.0.48 with PHP 4.3.4 on Linux) Wink.
As mentioned above, path info is only interesting for those who want to be indexed, so people can find them (for what reason ever). On the other hand there are times when you feel more comfortable if people cannot pick up anything you wrote in the past by querying a search engine...

I reckon it may not work with Windoze and IIS, because M$ loves to do things the non-standard way (different or missing environmental variables or even better their strange flags for permissions like modifiable flag for directories on XP) but that's a different chapter and shouldn't be discussed in this thread...

Olliver
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: it's possible change/add fields in the register form ?
Next Topic: 2.5.1 or 2.5.2 ?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 08 14:20:30 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02997 seconds