FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » CVS upgrade help?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
CVS upgrade help? [message #16173] Sat, 17 January 2004 19:30 Go to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
sratring by off-topic - the zlibed zip for 2.6.0 install seems to be corrupted regarding paths information, can't see files with WinRAR 3.20 nor extract with this one or PowerDesk 5 - only able to unzip if no specified path used.

OK, well, now you've done some changes since the 2.6.0 release and I wanted to add them. Although for a hell of me I don't understand how I could use CVS to update my existing files directly nor create the upgrade script, I decided to go in hand by hand.

I use TortoiseCVS (don't remember why any more). Well, I checked out the dir you are giving in your 2.6.0 release readme /forum21 and got all its content. The file dates have surprised me and I discover in core.inc that this was version 2.5.0 !!!
Where should I look for 2.6.0?
"No modules list for this server. Ask your admin to install CVSWeb or ViewCVS on your server or add the modules to the file CSVROOT/modules. And for now look for the module name wherever you want!" the program says me.

I tried to go here on the cvs site using the link on download page, but it required me to log in and would not let pass as some kind of guest. I had to search the messages on this forum to discover a link given to somebody to view directly a certain change, so I were happy to bookmark and entrance page to the changes list at least!

But how can I extract the needed files?

Or somebody please help me to understand how could I apply the changes directly to my working installation if this is possible at all? I've seen a link given to someone to get the needed file by web browser, it seems to me, may be you can provide with the url template (it's understood that I use forum-data or www_root & the file in question)??? I would prefer line by line change for I am making my own hack, but I could use at least a difference checking tool manually on 2 files for I can't understand what and where should be checked out by CVS and how can it make me the upgrade script and would such script destroy my changes or what?
Because manual insertion/deletion of strings after the changelog would be completely sad... Any help, please?

I've lost the whole damn day and could not figure it out! Confused

Lady of Avalon
Re: CVS upgrade help? [message #16174 is a reply to message #16173] Sat, 17 January 2004 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I have finally found how to get the 2.6.0 version - I haven't noticed the branch tab in Checkout dialogue window, so it's all OK with /forum21 dir & fud2_6_0 branch - every release is present... But all the files are from the release date... So how do I get the latest files versions?...

Lady of Avalon
Re: CVS upgrade help? [message #16175 is a reply to message #16174] Sat, 17 January 2004 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
if you do not specify tag or use HEAD tag it'll get you the latest release.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CVS upgrade help? [message #16176 is a reply to message #16175] Sat, 17 January 2004 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jesus! It got me the whole tree instead of just install on update with main branch! But more is better than nothing - definitely! Twisted Evil

Also, what about that famous command line, shall it work within windows? And is the upgrade script independent of what's already installed? Or is this create_file_list thing on CVS updates stores the changed files information and creates the upgrade from there, the files which overwrite the existing versions if the user has done any changes? That's useful to know to understand whether I need this command line at all if I want to keep my changes?

For instance, I've got now the newest files, but have to figure out now how I could use this sandshell as a repository for my working forum installation, if possible at all? Or should I have proceeded differently? And how could I check out my working path against just forum_data & www_root?...

Is there any good tutorial for CVS concepts etc... for windows, somebody? poor my brain...

Lady of Avalon
Re: CVS upgrade help? [message #16181 is a reply to message #16176] Sun, 18 January 2004 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The command line to generate the archive should work as long as you got php installed. That said, I never tried it myself on windows.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CVS upgrade help? [message #16184 is a reply to message #16181] Sun, 18 January 2004 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But what kind of list this will generate? All the files (changed comparing with some period)? This means I loose changes in my files?...

Is there any way to keep a live track on your changes merging them with my own changes? I understand there should be but I can't figure it out techically...

I understand it's a dummy question and that's not for developers of this forum to answer, but isn't there anyone else who could give me a good advice?

Lady of Avalon
Re: CVS upgrade help? [message #16186 is a reply to message #16184] Sun, 18 January 2004 17:49 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Go to http://www.cvshome.org there you'll learn about various capabilities of cvs, diff etc...

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: how to set the forum in another language
Next Topic: Error about: MySQL version 0?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 23:00:21 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02220 seconds