FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » SQL4 compatibility
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
SQL4 compatibility [message #16437] Fri, 30 January 2004 15:09 Go to next message
tecmes is currently offline  tecmes   Canada
(Strangely enough I cannot find info about this on the forum/site.)

My server admin just "upgraded" from SQL3.something to SQL4 and I get ever since the "fatal SQL error" thingy instead of the front page. (though on another machine I can access the forum but get SQL errors when trying to post... weird).

What is the status os the compatibility with SQL4 or can this be explained otherwise ?

Thanks again.

I'm using 2.5.2.
Re: SQL4 compatibility [message #16439 is a reply to message #16437] Fri, 30 January 2004 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
SQL4? Maybe you mean MySQL 4.0?

If it is MySQL 4.0, FUDforum will have not problems, I am running a large number of forums on MySQL 4.0.17

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: SQL4 compatibility [message #16470 is a reply to message #16439] Fri, 30 January 2004 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info, indeed the server is running 4.o.17.

I sort of gather that this may be due to a "disconnected" database at some point, or the connection info being wrong.

I know this is not strictly FUD-related, but do you think such error could come from the SQL3 to SQL4 upgrade procedure ?

The very weird thing is on one machine I can access the forum, but not on any other (running the same OS/browser !), eventhough it seems to be a SQL issue...

On this one machine I can access the admin page but then it seems I cannot validate any change ! (e.g. disabling the forum)

Any Idea on what could cause this strange behaviour ?
Re: SQL4 compatibility [message #16473 is a reply to message #16470] Fri, 30 January 2004 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
When upgrading from MySQL 3.X to 4.X the admin should've ran a certain script to import permission. He either failed to do so or it didn't run correctly. Look at the inside the errors/sql_errors files to see what are the errors.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: SQL4 compatibility [message #16475 is a reply to message #16473] Fri, 30 January 2004 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lines, many lines in the like of :

Quote:

[Fri Jan 30 21:38:41 GMT 2004] KGluZGV4LnBocCkgMTA0NDogQWNjZXNzIGRlbmllZCBmb3IgdXNlcjogJ3JvbGVuZXQyQCUnIHR vIGRhdGFiYXNlICdyb2xlbmV0Mic8YnIgLz4KUXVlcnk6IExPQ0sgVEFCTEVTIGZ1ZDJfc2VzIF dSSVRFPGJyIC8+ClNlcnZlciBWZXJzaW9uOiA0LjAuMTctc3RhbmRhcmQtbG9nPGJyIC8+Cg==

(this is the last line of the file as of now)

Is the script you refer a general script that any admin is meant to apply when upgrading SQL, or is it FUD-specific ?
Re: SQL4 compatibility [message #16476 is a reply to message #16475] Fri, 30 January 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Here is the actual error string:
(index.php) 1044: Access denied for user: 'rolenet2@%' to database 'rolenet2'<br />
Query: LOCK TABLES fud2_ses WRITE<br />
Server Version: 4.0.17-standard-log<br />

You need to ask your ISP to give locking permissions to your MySQL account.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: SQL4 compatibility [message #16614 is a reply to message #16437] Tue, 10 February 2004 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... the admin refused to do anything, so I eventually changed host (short story). I moved FUD, and then... I still get the error ! Sql_error now says :

[Tue Feb 10 0:50:43 GMT 2004] KGRiLmluYykgMTA0NDogQWNjZXNzIGRlbmllZCBmb3IgdXNlcjogJ3JvbGVuZXQyQCUnIHRvIGR hdGFiYXNlICdyb2xlbmV0Mic8YnIgLz4KUXVlcnk6IExPQ0sgVEFCTEVTIGZ1ZDJfc2VzIFdSSV RFPGJyIC8+ClNlcnZlciBWZXJzaW9uOiA0LjAuMTctc3RhbmRhcmQtbG9nPGJyIC8+Cg==

thanks for any help.
THe new host (jatol) is running mysql 4.0.15
Re: SQL4 compatibility [message #16616 is a reply to message #16614] Tue, 10 February 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
string(163) "(db.inc) 1044: Access denied for user: 'rolenet2@%' to database 'rolenet2'<br />
Query: LOCK TABLES fud2_ses WRITE<br />
Server Version: 4.0.17-standard-log<br />

You need to ask your admin to enable LOCK priveleges for your account for your database.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: SQL4 compatibility [message #16646 is a reply to message #16616] Tue, 10 February 2004 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I have obtained those priveleges, and this error has dissappeared, but I get into another one :

I want to access the Admin panel, to change the base directories (it seems changing the globals.php is not enough ?*), but when I enter my admin login/pwd into the admloginuser.php page, the page refresh to load admglobal.php apperas to be sent but then I'm immediately sent back to the admloginuser page. Impossible to get at the admin panel.

* I wanted to change the domain associated with the forum and that seems to not be in the globals.php.
Re: SQL4 compatibility [message #16648 is a reply to message #16646] Tue, 10 February 2004 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Edit GLOBALS.php file inside the include/ directory and make sure that GLOBALS.php inside main forum dir & adm/ are symlinks to that file.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: SQL4 compatibility [message #16653 is a reply to message #16648] Tue, 10 February 2004 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your instant reply.

It did work, the globals.php in include wasn't correct. I don't knwo how to check symlinks but I know the three files are the same.

In the end however quite frankly the repair might have come from the fact that the DNS were wrong and were updated in the meantime, so that it stopped trying to connect to the old domain.

I'm still a bit puzzled by the fact that I don't see how it is possible to change the links in the forum : e.g. say I want to access the PMs : the link is for me :
http://www.rolenet.org/fudforum/index.php?t=pmsg&

But if I,m swithcing server and didn't move the domain name, how can I change the link to :
http://www.othersite.org/fudforum/index.php?t=pmsg&
Re: SQL4 compatibility [message #16654 is a reply to message #16653] Tue, 10 February 2004 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
After you modify the GLOBALS.php go into the template manager and rebuild the theme, this will correct all of the forum's links.

You can check if a file is a symlink via PHP's is_link() function.

FUDforum Core Developer
Moving FUD, symlinks, thanks [message #16686 is a reply to message #16654] Thu, 12 February 2004 20:17 Go to previous message
It worked. It has been stated elsewhere in the forum, but I might as well repeat two important steps when moving FUD from a server to another :

-rebuild the theme(s). One important symptom associated with not doing this are wrong links in the forum.

-make sure the globals.php situated in the web root and webroot/adm folders are symlinks to the globals.php in dataroot/include. To do that, first make sure the globals.pphp in /include looks correct, then erase any possible copies in the two first folders, lastly recreate the symlinks by using shell (if you have shell access) or a simple PHP script such as :

<?php
symlink("<dataroot>/include/GLOBALS.php", "<webroot>/GLOBALS.php");
symlink("<dataroot>/include/GLOBALS.php", "<webroot>/adm/GLOBALS.php");
?> 
e.g. <webroot> may be something like "/users/b/bobsponge/public_html/fudforum/

A symptom for a globals.php symlink error is when you change a parameter in the admin panel but it doesn't appear to be applied to the forum.

---

I want to thank Ilia once more for the fast and efficient support provided along my server switch. You have made this transition smooth despite the hurdles laid by other parties. I'm sure the players in my forum are as grateful as me for your decisive help.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: v2.6.0 FONT tag replaced with FACE
Next Topic: 2.6.1RC1: Installer fails with safe mode enabled
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 08:37:02 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02415 seconds