FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » E-mail notification problems
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  E-mail notification problems [message #17065] Mon, 15 March 2004 04:30 Go to next message
tonyj321 is currently offline  tonyj321   Singapore
HI, I am running a couple of forums based on FUDForum 2.6.0. They mostly work fine, but I am experiencing some problems with e-mail notifications when new topics are created. Although several people have registered to receive e-mail notications, it appears the notification is only sent to one user. Which user seems to vary from one forum to another. (I know this because I monitor the smtp server log, and see only one message with 1 recipient each time a new topic is posted).

I am running FUDForum on windows 2000 (under IIS) and I am usng the SMTP client built-in to FUDForum, since I run two forums on the same machine and need different "from" addresses.

Are there any know issues that could be causing this problem? Any suggestions for tracking down the problem?

Tony
Re: E-mail notification problems [message #17070 is a reply to message #17065] Mon, 15 March 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
When sending e-mail notifications FUDforum optimizes the process by sending a single e-mail with multiple recipients.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: E-mail notification problems [message #17090 is a reply to message #17070] Tue, 16 March 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tonyj321 is currently offline  tonyj321   Singapore
Ilia wrote on Mon, 15 March 2004 08:37

When sending e-mail notifications FUDforum optimizes the process by sending a single e-mail with multiple recipients.

Yes I understand that, but the problem is that it is generating one message with only one recipient each time. I verify this by looking both at the sendmail log and the headers of the e-mail itself. I have also checked that there are in fact multiple users subscribed to the forum.
Re: E-mail notification problems [message #17093 is a reply to message #17090] Tue, 16 March 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Then it probably means that other users have received prior notifications and didn't act upon them. So the forum does not send them additional notifications.
Re: E-mail notification problems [message #17164 is a reply to message #17093] Thu, 18 March 2004 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kwrona is currently offline  kwrona   Germany
Hi,

could you make this mechanism configurable that an administrator could turn it on or off.
I would prefer to have a reliable notification system. It happens very often that my users do not login when they want to read new message but rather use anonymous user.
What is the exact mechanism, are the mails blocked for the entire system or just for forum where the user did not read a message?
By the way is there a way to a get notification when user replies for replay?

Re: E-mail notification problems [message #17167 is a reply to message #17164] Thu, 18 March 2004 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The email 'block' is specific to a particular user. Further more it even distinguishes between forum notifications and topic notifications.
Odp: Re: E-mail notification problems [message #17171 is a reply to message #17167] Thu, 18 March 2004 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kwrona is currently offline  kwrona   Germany
thank for quick reply.
Anyway, can I switch this feature off.
Re: Odp: Re: E-mail notification problems [message #17179 is a reply to message #17171] Thu, 18 March 2004 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You cannot turn it off, but given the number of requests I will add this feature in the future release of FUDforum.
Re: E-mail notification problems [message #17299 is a reply to message #17065] Tue, 23 March 2004 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jasonw is currently offline  jasonw   United States
So, here is the problem I am seeing. ALL email notifications seem to not be working after upgrading the forum from 2.5 to 2.6. The notifications are attempting to go out via the email server to address "@pager.icq.com" I checked into the code and found the following in forum/theme/default/post.php which is probably generated from a src file for the theme, but the code is as follows and is around line 1691:
                        if ($r[2] & 16) {
                                $to['EMAIL'] = $r[0];
                        } else {
                                $to['ICQ'] = $r[1].'@pager.icq.com';
                        }
                        if (isset($r[4]) && is_null($r[3])) {
                                $tl[] = $r[4];
                        }

This is changed from 2.5 which used a conditional ternary operator instead of this if/else block. I think, upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6 there may be an issue with the field from the database this block is checking at the beginning. $r[2] resolves to the users_opt field. I think the if check is failing on that field for some reason or another. Assistance is greately appreciated since I can't seem to figure this one out.

Re: Odp: Re: E-mail notification problems [message #17648 is a reply to message #17179] Thu, 08 April 2004 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tonyj321 is currently offline  tonyj321   United States
Hi I have upgraded to 2.6.2rc1, where the new feature for turning off e-mail blocking is available (thanks Razz ).

However I still see the problem that e-mail notifications are always sent to only one subscriber Sad . I believe I have tracked down the bug in post.php, at line 1714.

Currently it says:

if ($r[2] & 4) {
					$to['EMAIL'] = $r[0];
				} else {
					$to['ICQ'] = $r[1].'@pager.icq.com';
				}

but I think it should say:

if ($r[2] & 4) {
					$to['EMAIL'][] = $r[0];
				} else {
					$to['ICQ'][] = $r[1].'@pager.icq.com';
				}

(IE as we loop over all the subscribed e-mail addresses we append them to the $to['EMAIL'] array). I did not yet check carefully if this same problem occurs in other places.
Re: Odp: Re: E-mail notification problems [message #17649 is a reply to message #17648] Thu, 08 April 2004 18:37 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
You are correct in your analysis, there was indeed a bug with the code, it is now corrected.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Fud 2.0: File upload > 1meg
Next Topic: Replying to a mailing list results in email with no subject (2.6.2RC1)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 23:14:43 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03011 seconds