FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Quick link to a forum
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Quick link to a forum [message #17999] Wed, 28 April 2004 18:48 Go to next message
Gribnif is currently offline  Gribnif   United States
All forums on my system require authentication. So if a user wants to see a forum, they have to log-in, and then choose which forum they want to view. This makes it impossible to provide a single URL that goes directly to the correct forum.

How about a special log-in form, which could be linked to with a URL like this:

http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=jumpto&frm_id=3

When the user clicks on this link, they would be asked to log-in. When they click on the Submit button, they would then be brought directly to forum #3, and not to the top level list of all forums.
Re: Quick link to a forum [message #18001 is a reply to message #17999] Wed, 28 April 2004 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
If you provide a URL to a secure forum, the anonymous user will be given an error message indicating that they do not have permissions to access that forum and a login form allowing them to login. Upon successful login, the forum will redirect them to the URL they were trying to access originally.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Quick link to a forum [message #18004 is a reply to message #17999] Wed, 28 April 2004 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just tried that, and I got the message:

Your user permissions do not allow you to perform the action you are attempting.

When I clicked on the OK button, it returned me to the top level of the forum, showing no categories (because I am Anonymous at that point.)
Re: Quick link to a forum [message #18005 is a reply to message #18004] Wed, 28 April 2004 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You need the very latest release, the next version will have this working properly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Quick link to a forum [message #18010 is a reply to message #17999] Wed, 28 April 2004 20:39 Go to previous message
OK, thanks. I'll try it when I get around to installing the newest version. I'm still at 2.6.2 right now.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Semi-anonymous user
Next Topic: Multiple file extensions per MIME
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Jun 04 00:01:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03030 seconds