FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Error trying to mark messages read
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Error trying to mark messages read [message #18557] Thu, 27 May 2004 15:22 Go to next message
darkness is currently offline  darkness   United States
When clicking "mark all unread messages read" at the bottom of a list of threads within a forum, I get the following error:

Warning: pg_query(): Query failed: ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "SELECT" at character 108 . in /srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/index.php on line 141

Fatal error: SQL Error has occurred, please contact the administrator of the forum and have them review the forum's SQL query log in /srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/index.php on line 47

The URL within the browser at this time is http://forums.caliginous.net/index.php?t=markread&rid=4&S=3aafadef3 5e99aa0a59326e3cb5f5e41&id=4&SQ=2a1e33f4b7b8d20f8a35050e62ce561d. I've attached the output phpinfo phpinfo() on my machine. Using FUDforum 2.6.3 with the "db_li() missing second argument" warning patched out per http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=3795&start=0&. (Note that error sounds the same as mine but that user's error message didn't get close to my own.)

This error occurs sporadically, really. Sometimes I can log in and click it and get an error, one time I had to click twice, etc. The same error occurs when clicking "Show [...] Unread Messages" at the top of the interface. Again, it's not consistently reproducible, but you usually only have to click around two or three times before it happens.

When I attempted to troubleshoot this error when I click "Show [...] Unread Messages" I printed $q in q() before the call to pg_query(). I saw several SQL statements apparently concatenated; I'm guessing these are actually separated by null characters, then pg_query() splits on these null characters and sends each statement to the server individually. (What I don't understand is how the statements all got stuffed into $q.) Anyway, I don't know how this code works, nor PHP, so maybe I'm not observing what I think I'm observing. I did slap strace on the postmaster process and found this to be the offending statement:

UPDATE fud26_1_read SET user_id=4, thread_id=id, msg_id=last_post_id,
last_view=1085633859 WHERE user_id=4 SELECT id, last_post_id FROM fud26_1_thread WHERE forum_id=4

It looks to me like the SQL statements got concatenated together without an intervening null character. After this is received by PostgreSQL, it tosses back "ERROR: parser: parse error at or near \"SELECT\" at character 108".

Thanks in advance, let me know if I can provide any other information.
  • Attachment: info.zip
    (Size: 7.22KB, Downloaded 787 times)

darky
--
Re: Error trying to mark messages read [message #18558 is a reply to message #18557] Thu, 27 May 2004 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Check the forum's error log viewer and see what SQL errors it reports. Also, what version of PostgreSQL are you using?

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Error trying to mark messages read [message #18559 is a reply to message #18558] Thu, 27 May 2004 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a whole bunch of these, and the time stamp indicates they're mostly from me testing:

(/srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/index.php:141
/srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/index.php:1103
/srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/theme/default/markread.php:47
/srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/index.php:1183
) : ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "SELECT" at character 108
Query: UPDATE fud26_1_read SET user_id=4, thread_id=id, msg_id=last_post_id, last_view=1085666536 WHERE user_id=4 SELECT id, last_post_id FROM fud26_1_thread WHERE forum_id=4
Server Version:
[Referring Page] http://forums.caliginous.net/

Then I've got some other SQL errors that I'm guessing are unrelated, but here's a selection of them anyway:

/srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/index.php:208
/srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/theme/default/usrinfo.php:287
) : ERROR: parser: parse error at or near ")" at character 128
Query: SELECT count(*) FROM fud26_1_poll p INNER JOIN fud26_1_forum f ON p.forum_id=f.id WHERE p.owner=17 AND f.cat_id>0 AND f.id IN()
Server Version:
[Referring Page] http://forums.caliginous.net/index.php?t=finduser&btn_submit=Find&rid=17&S=11b2f5b29cf9dcbeb055c7b02943393b

/srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/index.php:134
/srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/theme/default/usrinfo.php:209
) : ERROR: parser: parse error at or near ")" at character 144
Query: SELECT f.id, f.name FROM fud26_1_mod mm INNER JOIN fud26_1_forum f ON mm.forum_id=f.id INNER JOIN fud26_1_cat c ON f.cat_id=c.id WHERE f.id IN() AND mm.user_id=4
Server Version:
[Referring Page] http://forums.caliginous.net/index.php?t=online_today&rid=17&S=11b2f5b29cf9dcbeb055c7b02943393b

Those are the three queries that seem to be in the SQL error log. I'm running PostgreSQL 7.3.4 (Fedora Core 1 Linux, postgresql-server-7.3.4-11).

darky
--
Re: Error trying to mark messages read [message #18560 is a reply to message #18557] Thu, 27 May 2004 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just noticed that I'm not running the latest Fedora errata for PHP and Apache. Let me install all pending errata before anyone kills themselves on what might be a bug in PHP, etc. I'll reply once I've finished the update. (Update includes going from PHP 4.3.4 to 4.3.6.)

darky
--
Re: Error trying to mark messages read [message #18561 is a reply to message #18559] Thu, 27 May 2004 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The sql errors inside usrinfo.php were due to a bug that I've just fixed, here is the patch:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=2800

The mark-read problem should be fixed by the following patch:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=2801

Apply those patches, rebuild the theme and the query failures should go away.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Error trying to mark messages read [message #18562 is a reply to message #18560] Thu, 27 May 2004 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, latest errata installed and problem is not fixed: login, go to my first (and only) listed forum, click "mark all unread forum messages read" at the bottom, and get the same error.

Warning: pg_query(): Query failed: ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "SELECT" at character 108 in /srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/index.php on line 141

Fatal error: SQL Error has occurred, please contact the administrator of the forum and have them review the forum's SQL query log in /srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/index.php on line 47

phpinfo() now reporting PHP 4.3.6, Apache 2.0.49 (Fedora). I can repost phpinfo() output if need be.

For fun I fired up Konqueror, which I don't think I've ever used to log into my forums with, and followed exactly the steps given above. I got the same error.

darky
--
Re: Error trying to mark messages read [message #18564 is a reply to message #18561] Thu, 27 May 2004 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 27 May 2004 12:53

The sql errors inside usrinfo.php were due to a bug that I've just fixed, here is the patch:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=2800

The mark-read problem should be fixed by the following patch:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=2801

Apply those patches, rebuild the theme and the query failures should go away.

Patches applied. Now I get a new error when I perform the same procedure:

Warning: pg_query(): Query failed: ERROR: Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index fud26_1_read_i_tu in /srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/index.php on line 141

Last message in the SQL error log:

/srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/index.php:1103
/srv/www/forums.caliginous.net/root/theme/default/markread.php:47
) : ERROR: Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index fud26_1_read_i_tu
Query: UPDATE fud26_1_read SET user_id=4, thread_id=t.id, msg_id=t.last_post_id, last_view=1085673943 FROM (SELECT id, last_post_id FROM fud26_1_thread WHERE forum_id=4) t WHERE user_id=4
Server Version:
[Referring Page] http://forums.caliginous.net/

darky
--
Re: Error trying to mark messages read [message #18565 is a reply to message #18564] Thu, 27 May 2004 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Does the query work if you change it to this:

UPDATE fud26_1_read SET user_id=4, thread_id=t.id, msg_id=t.last_post_id, last_view=1085673943 FROM (SELECT id, last_post_id FROM fud26_1_thread WHERE forum_id=4) t WHERE user_id=4 AND thread_id=t.id;

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Error trying to mark messages read [message #18566 is a reply to message #18565] Thu, 27 May 2004 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This query seems to work in pgsql:

fcn_fudforums=# UPDATE fud26_1_read SET user_id=4, thread_id=t.id, msg_id=t.last_post_id, last_view=1085673943 FROM (SELECT id, last_post_id FROM fud26_1_thread WHERE forum_id=4) t WHERE user_id=4;
ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index fud26_1_read_i_tu
fcn_fudforums=# UPDATE fud26_1_read SET user_id=4, thread_id=t.id, msg_id=t.last_post_id, last_view=1085673943 FROM (SELECT id, last_post_id FROM fud26_1_thread WHERE forum_id=4) t WHERE user_id=4 AND thread_id=t.id;
UPDATE 6

Is this a change I should make in my users.inc.t?

darky
--
Re: Error trying to mark messages read [message #18567 is a reply to message #18566] Thu, 27 May 2004 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Here is the patch:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=2802

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Error trying to mark messages read [message #18568 is a reply to message #18567] Thu, 27 May 2004 17:44 Go to previous message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 27 May 2004 13:37

Here is the patch:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=2802

I do believe this is fixed now. Thank you very much, for writing FUDforum and for your support. Smile

darky
--
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: 2.6.2 Find User link broken
Next Topic: 3 phantom visitors
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 21:54:43 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03165 seconds