FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Cookies Get Zapped
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Cookies Get Zapped [message #4006] Thu, 11 July 2002 19:22 Go to next message
james is currently offline  james   United States
I have 3 computers networked at my house. If I login to one at any FUDforum, I can stay logged in for as long as the cookie says it will stay logged in (30 days, for example) without having to re-input my name and password. However, if I login from one computer one night, then login from another computer the next night, when I go back to the first computer, I have to re-input my name and password. (I'm not talking about simultaneous logins; I'm saying that the original cookie becomes invalid after I access the forum from another computer).

I do not believe this is a universal cookie error; if I follow the above procedure with a site such as DSLReports, my cookies remain on all 3 computers and still keep me logged in. I believe it only occurs with FUDforum.

I will do further research to try to determine (on my own) what is the cause of this. I have a feeling it has to do with a random number generator + the database working in conjunction. To elaborate, I believe that FUDforum randomly generates a number to create the cookies, and this number gets stored within the FUD database as well; therefore, logging in with an old cookie, even if it is on a different computer, will make FUD think that you need to re-input your username and password. I believe that to be the problem; I am unsure of the solution, however.
Re: Cookies Get Zapped [message #4007 is a reply to message #4006] Thu, 11 July 2002 19:56 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This issue has already been covered in 2 other threads. There would be an option in upcomming FUDforum 2.2.2 that would prevent 'cookies from being zapped' as you've put it when logging in from different machines into same forum account.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Admin Control was deleted by forum?!
Next Topic: Moderator Melee
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 19:17:29 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04062 seconds