FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Thread Pruning by date
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Thread Pruning by date [message #802] Fri, 01 March 2002 02:11 Go to next message
BugLaden is currently offline  BugLaden   United States
Forgive my ignorance if this has been asked and answered.

Is there a way to prune, or delete, threads that are old than a given date? So if I want to delete all thread that are older than 90, I could go to some admin function to do this...

Thanks!

-=BugLaden
Re: Thread Pruning by date [message #804 is a reply to message #802] Fri, 01 March 2002 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
BugLaden wrote on Thu, 28 February 2002 9:11 PM

Is there a way to prune, or delete, threads that are old than a given date? So if I want to delete all thread that are older than 90, I could go to some admin function to do this...

Thanks!

Currently there is no such automatic functionality. You'll need to manually delete threads one by one.

We are however planning to add such a feature in the future.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Thread Pruning by date [message #820 is a reply to message #802] Sat, 02 March 2002 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

BugLaden wrote on Fri, 01 March 2002 11:11 AM

Thanks!

Well, we'll prolly add a function like this, but I would like to propose a question.. why delete old threads?

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Thread Pruning by date [message #1101 is a reply to message #820] Thu, 21 March 2002 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, my biggest concern is space. How many posts would FUD have to have before I should become concerned about space?

-=BugLaden
Re: Thread Pruning by date [message #1104 is a reply to message #1101] Thu, 21 March 2002 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I cannot give you an exact answer to that question, since the disk space used is mostly dependant on the size of the messages. In most cases you will find that MySQL disk usage is greater then disk space needed to store the forum's message files.

The best example I can give you is this, a forum with 68,000 messages uses ~250 megs of SQL space & another 20 megs to store message bodies & attached files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Thread Pruning by date [message #1109 is a reply to message #1104] Thu, 21 March 2002 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

prottoss wrote on Thu, 21 March 2002 12:30 AM

I cannot give you an exact answer to that question, since the disk space used is mostly dependant on the size of the messages. In most cases you will find that MySQL disk usage is greater then disk space needed to store the forum's message files.

The best example I can give you is this, a forum with 68,000 messages uses ~250 megs of SQL space & another 20 megs to store message bodies & attached files.

If you were to disable the full text search features you would cut down the SQL usage in 1/2... if not more...

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Thread Pruning by date [message #1119 is a reply to message #802] Thu, 21 March 2002 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
On the same note disabling file uploads in the forums or allowing people to upload 1-2 small files would also reduce your disk space usage by quite a bit.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Thread Pruning by date [message #1128 is a reply to message #802] Thu, 21 March 2002 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the numbers. And to answer my own question there is a thread pruning link in the Admin menu under Forum Management that does exactly what I need if I understand it correctly.

-=BugLaden
Re: Thread Pruning by date [message #1129 is a reply to message #1128] Thu, 21 March 2002 16:58 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
BugLaden wrote on Thu, 21 March 2002 11:57 AM

Thanks for the numbers. And to answer my own question there is a thread pruning link in the Admin menu under Forum Management that does exactly what I need if I understand it correctly.

Yes it does, it was added due to popular demand for such a feature Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Is there a way to change anonymous name so that it's not "Anonymous Coward"?
Next Topic: Registration -> moderator authentication?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 08:30:06 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02813 seconds