FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » FUDforum 2.0 Alpha Release  () 1 Vote
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
FUDforum 2.0 Alpha Release [message #1245] Tue, 26 March 2002 21:56 Go to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I've just released the Alpha version of what will become FUDforum 2.0.

This release contains 3 possible languages that you can choose form (the translation is not entirely complete yet, but most of the text is already translated).
Many thanks to Ken Kizaki for German translation and to djupsjob for the Swedish translation.
If you wish to help us translate the forum to a different language please let me know.

The CORE of this release are 2 features, i18n support & templating system for the entire forum.

Please try it on your test servers and lets us know how it works out.

Much testing & feedback is needed.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Tue, 16 April 2002 15:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: FUDforum 2.0 Alpha Release [message #1280 is a reply to message #1245] Tue, 02 April 2002 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
List of features added since 1st Alpha Release:

1) Thread-X-Change, moderators can request that threads in their forums be moved to other forums they do not moderate. Their requests can be approved or decline by the admin or the moderator(s) of the destination forum.

2) Forum Import & Dump, this creates a backup of your forum, which you can then import via a convenient utility. If your PHP contains GZIP extensions (included by default on 99% of php distros) it will compress the "dump" file.

3) Avatar notifications, the user will now be notified whenever their custom avatar is approved or declined by the admin.

4) MIMEs. The icons for the uploaded files are now determined by their files types, so the user can quickly see what type of a file it is. In addition it allows FUDforum to send appropriate header to the browser when the file is being downloaded. Also added admin control panel for removing, adding & editing various MIMEs.

5) Numerous bug fixes.

6) Local support, this affects mostly the multilingual installation, where exporting of proper local makes dates appear in correct language as well string mangling functions now work appropriately.

7) Added German & Swedish support to the spell checker. Note, you may need to download German or Swedish dictionaries from Aspell's website.

8) Added Optimizer, this tool optimizes the PHP files compiled from templates.

Current TODO:

1) Create translated buttons in Swedish & German.
2) Finish the groups permission system.
3) Add special handler for timezones on Windows. (for v1.2.5 also)
5) More debugging :P

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Thu, 04 April 2002 23:49]

Re: FUDforum 2.0 Alpha Release [message #1290 is a reply to message #1245] Wed, 03 April 2002 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Another new feature, MySQL table prefix.

During the forum's installation you canv now specify MySQL table prefix, this string will be appended to names of all tables used by FUDforum. The importance of this feature is that now you can run multiple FUDforums within the same MySQL database. It also allows you to prevent potential conflicts with your existing tables in the unlikely event they share same MySQL table names as FUDforum.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Wed, 03 April 2002 18:54]

Re: FUDforum 2.0 Alpha Release [message #1308 is a reply to message #1245] Thu, 04 April 2002 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
YANF (Yet Another New Feature) Razz

After much discussion and consideration between hackie & myself we've converted our message storage system to use a *single file rather then a file per thread. The BIG benefit of this is the fact it makes the message storage directory manageable rather the having thousands of files, in the same dir which would cause a problem when trying to do anything with that directory.
This also, eases the file system work somewhat since multi-thread pages such as selmsg.php & search.php need to open/deal with a single file pointer rather the several.

*Single file the message will be stored in 1 file until the file reaches a size of 2 gigs, at that point a new file will be created and new messages will be stored in it until it too reaches the size of 2 gigs.

This way your forum's message count is not limited by the file size. Not that 2 gigs is small by any means, by my calculations 2 gigs message file is enough to store ~2million messages.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum 2.0 Alpha Release [message #1313 is a reply to message #1245] Thu, 04 April 2002 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
YANF

Added thread splitting functionality. Now the moderator & the admin can break appart a thread into 2 threads, this is most useful for threads which have gone off topic.

Also, I've added a small security fix that prevents unconfirmed users from seeing messages inside forums which only registered users may view.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon5.gif  Re: FUDforum 2.0 Alpha Release [message #1315 is a reply to message #1313] Fri, 05 April 2002 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
Will you be releasing another packaged 'official' alpha soon or should we get the code by CVS?
Re: FUDforum 2.0 Alpha Release [message #1316 is a reply to message #1315] Fri, 05 April 2002 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob wrote on Fri, 05 April 2002 2:11 PM

Will you be releasing another packaged 'official' alpha soon or should we get the code by CVS?

I will hopefully be making another release next week. The CVS version of the forum requires a a few instructions before it can be installed. I'll post those sometime this weekend. As well as info on how to get it from CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum 2.0 Alpha Release [message #1403 is a reply to message #1308] Fri, 12 April 2002 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ctbk is currently offline  ctbk   Italy
prottoss wrote on Thu, 04 April 2002 1:46 PM

After much discussion and consideration between hackie & myself we've converted our message storage system to use a *single file rather then a file per thread.

What are the disadvantages of this solution?
Will be the editing and deleting of already stored msgs much slower (needing to rewrite a big file)?

~
~
:wq
Re: FUDforum 2.0 Alpha Release [message #1405 is a reply to message #1403] Fri, 12 April 2002 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The speed of writing will not change @ all it will be the same speed.

The only disadvantage is that should your drive become corrupt in the old storage system if the corruption was small you may have lost a a few threads. In the new system you could loose all the messages.

But, this simply means you gotta do regular backups Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum 2.0 Alpha Release [message #1415 is a reply to message #1405] Sat, 13 April 2002 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ctbk is currently offline  ctbk   Italy
Sorry if I insist, Smile but what happens when I have a file of 200MB and I change a message placed at the 1024th byte in the file, maybe changing its dimension? 199Mb are not going to be rewritten?

And finally (I promise! Very Happy ) I read in another topic that you created a bunch of data to benchmark the forum; is it possible to have it (or to have the procedure you followed to make the benchmark)? Before proposing to our costumer to switch forum I'd like to have some number -apart from the list of features- to show to him to help in the decision : )

Later,
Ste

~
~
:wq
Re: FUDforum 2.0 Alpha Release [message #1418 is a reply to message #1415] Sat, 13 April 2002 14:29 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
When you edit messages the old message remains, a new version of the modified message gets prepended to the file.

The forum includes a "compacter" tool (option in admin control panel). This will clean up the message files and remove unused data.

Running it once per month on a large forum may save a few megs.

We will write detailed benchmarks results once 2.0 stable is released. Meanwhile, I've asked one of our 1.9X alpha users to enable stats for all users, so you can now see the timings & amount of SQL work it takes to generate pages on 1.9X forum.
That forum can be found at http://www.mediaminer.org/forum/

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Sat, 13 April 2002 14:31]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDforum 1.9.7 Alpha
Next Topic: 1.9.8-RC1
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jul 26 23:59:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06009 seconds