FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » multiple domain names
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
multiple domain names [message #1288] Wed, 03 April 2002 17:18 Go to next message
BugLaden is currently offline  BugLaden   United States
Is it possible under the general settings to specify multiple domain names for the cookie? I currently am able to access my site through 2 domain names, and access through the non-named domain doesn't allow a login.

-=BugLaden
Re: multiple domain names [message #1289 is a reply to message #1288] Wed, 03 April 2002 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
BugLaden wrote on Wed, 03 April 2002 12:18 PM

Is it possible under the general settings to specify multiple domain names for the cookie? I currently am able to access my site through 2 domain names, and access through the non-named domain doesn't allow a login.

You CANNOT set a cookie for more then 1 domain, that is simply impossible. If the forum tries to set a cookie for domain A and then a cookie for domain B only 1 will be accepted by the browser.
This is because a browser will ONLY allow a cookie to be set for the domain your currently on.
If you are using multiple domains, my suggestion to you is to only use sessions.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: multiple domain names [message #1291 is a reply to message #1288] Wed, 03 April 2002 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick response! Very Happy I did a search here on "turn off cookies" but couldn't find anything useful. Can you turn off the ability to login with cookies?

If a user tries to log into the forum through the cooki-fied domain, and checks the "use cookie" checkbox, it will return that user to the home screen, not logged in and no message indicating an error.

Is there some other workaround?

-=BugLaden
Re: multiple domain names [message #1292 is a reply to message #1291] Wed, 03 April 2002 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
BugLaden wrote on Wed, 03 April 2002 2:34 PM

Thanks for the quick response! Very Happy I did a search here on "turn off cookies" but couldn't find anything useful. Can you turn off the ability to login with cookies?

If a user tries to log into the forum through the cooki-fied domain, and checks the "use cookie" checkbox, it will return that user to the home screen, not logged in and no message indicating an error.

Is there some other workaround?

Yeah there is and it is pretty easy to add.

You need to edit login.php form and replace the checkbox, with
<input type="hidden" name="use_cookie" value="">.

This will make sure that every logged in user will be "forced" to use the session system and the cookies will not be set.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: multiple domain names [message #1293 is a reply to message #1288] Wed, 03 April 2002 20:09 Go to previous message
Worked perfectly. Much obliged! Very Happy

-=BugLaden
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Dump Messages to HTML - Archive?
Next Topic: Private Forums?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 08:12:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02971 seconds