FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » scalability
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
scalability [message #17125] Wed, 17 March 2004 19:00 Go to next message
MathForum is currently offline  MathForum   United States
I don't see a forum for general questions, so I'll ask here.

I'm evaluating forum software for the Math Forum, and this is one of few packages that provide the features we need.

How well does FUDforum scale to our level? The Math Forum currently has about 1.3 million messages. The largest single discussion has over 500,000 messages and around 100,000 pageviews per day, in a threaded view, with heavy use of search.

Can you point me to any example site on a similar scale?

http://mathforum.org/
Re: scalability [message #17126 is a reply to message #17125] Wed, 17 March 2004 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
MediaMiner.org Forum ~ 1/2 million messages & 200,000 pages views per day

http://online.startribune.com/forum/

http://www.linux.com.pl/forum/

There are more on Google Smile.

Personally, I have dealt with forums (FUDforum) that had several million messages on internal systems or systems where messages were imported from mailing lists or NNTP.
Re: scalability [message #17127 is a reply to message #17126] Wed, 17 March 2004 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks! Looking at the 250,000 message discussion in your first link, I thought I saw a bit of a slowdown compared to the smaller discussions, but nothing serious.

Can you say something about search scaling? On a big forum, search can be the only way to find what you're looking for.
Re: scalability [message #17129 is a reply to message #17127] Wed, 17 March 2004 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
On big forum you are actually likely to see speed up in searching compared to a smaller forum. It may sound 'weird' but it is true. FUDforum uses a caching algorithm to store found search results, so repeated search for the same subject matter (very common on large forums) appear instantly after the results have been found once. On small(er) forums there is a greater quantity of unique searches, so there is a much smaller benefit from caching.
Re: scalability [message #17131 is a reply to message #17125] Wed, 17 March 2004 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caching, cool. That brings up a related question: Clustering.

We don't need more than one server just for discussions. But for the totality of Math Forum services, we do, and the preferred strategy is for all application server boxes in the cluster to be identical. It's simpler for each server to provide all services.

Is there anything in FUDforum that complicates that strategy? Either caching, or storing dynamic data in the filesystem instead of the database, could make the simple strategy more complicated.
Re: scalability [message #17132 is a reply to message #17131] Wed, 17 March 2004 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum stores a certain amount of disk for performance reasons. These being the file attachments and bodies of public & private messages.
Re: scalability [message #17133 is a reply to message #17125] Wed, 17 March 2004 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info! Those files can be put in network-mounted storage and mounted across the cluster, so unless there are synchronization issues (which there may be for moderation), it's only a minor complication.

You've been very helpful, which is always a good sign. (Pause while I resist the urge to insert a cute smiley.)
Re: scalability [message #17134 is a reply to message #17133] Wed, 17 March 2004 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The files can be safely put on a network mounted partition, FUDforum does not do any file system locks using SQL locks for concurrency so this is quite safe to do.
Re: scalability [message #188308 is a reply to message #17134] Mon, 06 March 2023 20:48 Go to previous message
Jhonii is currently offline  Jhonii
Although it may sound "strange," it is true. Since FUDforum employs a caching method to save search results, repeated searches for the same topic (which are frequent on busy forums) get results right away. Because there are more unique queries on small(er) forums, caching has a significantly lower impact.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: looking for json api
Next Topic: FUDforum's IRC chat channel
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:59:41 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04838 seconds