FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Suggestion: i18n of date/time formats
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Suggestion: i18n of date/time formats [message #1752] Mon, 22 April 2002 11:04 Go to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
I just noticed a minor problem with the time format. FUDforum seems to be unaware of the fact that the 24h ("military") time format is used in Finland and Sweden. This shows in, for example, the post view. The time box at the bottom of the page is correct, though.

Update: strangely enough the time format is correct in some places, but not in others. See online_today.php for an example. The second column is correct, the third isn't.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 April 2002 11:49]

Report message to a moderator

icon6.gif  Re: Suggestion: i18n of date/time formats [message #1754 is a reply to message #1752] Mon, 22 April 2002 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kerhold is currently offline  Kerhold   Poland

Salut!

Well. I have a small question.
Is it possible to obtain names of month in other then English language?
For example in English it is Apr and in Polish it should be Kwi, like on machine on which forum is installed, when I invoke 'ls' command.

Best regards,

Kerhold Cool

Common sense is not so common.
Re: Suggestion: i18n of date/time formats [message #1755 is a reply to message #1754] Mon, 22 April 2002 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kerhold wrote on Mon, 22 April 2002 2:37 PM

Is it possible to obtain names of month in other then English language?

Yes, it's possible. When you select the language of the forum the proper locale should be set as well. There's seems to be some kind of bug in that code at the moment though, because the locale gets set to "en" even though I choose Swedish. But in principle it should work this way.

Update: I forgot to tell you, but you can correct this setting by hand. Open GLOBALS.php in your editor, find the variable $LOCALE and change it to whatever you would like it to be. If the locale is supported on your server it should work.

As for all the places the change of locale doesn't help - you have probably noticed you can edit the msg file which contains all text strings used in the forum. There you can change the names of the months as well.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 April 2002 14:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Suggestion: i18n of date/time formats [message #1756 is a reply to message #1752] Mon, 22 April 2002 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob wrote on Mon, 22 April 2002 7:04 AM

I just noticed a minor problem with the time format. FUDforum seems to be unaware of the fact that the 24h ("military") time format is used in Finland and Sweden. This shows in, for example, the post view. The time box at the bottom of the page is correct, though.

Update: strangely enough the time format is correct in some places, but not in others. See online_today.php for an example. The second column is correct, the third isn't.

The time is "correct" in some places because the date formatting string passed to strftime() function asks for 24h format is some places and AM/PM format in others.

If anything, this could be a consistency bug, I s'pose but the different date types were entered intenionaly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestion: i18n of date/time formats [message #1914 is a reply to message #1756] Wed, 24 April 2002 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would you want the time formats to be inconsistent? Why not have a global setting for this?

Setting: Time format
Options: AM/PM or 24h
Re: Suggestion: i18n of date/time formats [message #1917 is a reply to message #1914] Wed, 24 April 2002 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Because I'll most likely be getting rid of AM/PM entirely and changing to 24 hour format. Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestion: i18n of date/time formats [message #1918 is a reply to message #1917] Wed, 24 April 2002 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I see. Good thinking... Wink
Re: Suggestion: i18n of date/time formats [message #1920 is a reply to message #1752] Wed, 24 April 2002 23:52 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Commited to CVS

Too many files to list here are affected.

Checkout the entire tmpl/ and i18n/ directories

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Suggestion: CREDITS
Next Topic: Bug report: automatic setting of locale fails
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jul 26 23:55:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02543 seconds