FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Translators Needed
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon4.gif  Translators Needed [message #1239] Tue, 26 March 2002 19:51 Go to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Since the next version of the forum will contain i18n support, I am looking for translators, who would be willing to help translate the forum to other languages.

If you would like to help, reply to this thread or send me a private message or an email.

Thanks

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Thu, 06 June 2002 18:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Translators Needed [message #1327 is a reply to message #1239] Sun, 07 April 2002 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fanoos is currently offline  fanoos   United Arab Emirates
hello
I ready to translate fud to arabic
please email me at
saead62(at)hotmail(dot)com
thank you
Re: Translators Needed [message #1975 is a reply to message #1239] Fri, 26 April 2002 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
I'm working on a Finnish translation at the moment, with about 20% of the msg file translated at the moment. Prottoss, could you please send me a list of all the graphical button texts that need translation as well?
Re: Translators Needed [message #1979 is a reply to message #1975] Fri, 26 April 2002 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Here they are:

flat_view.gif: flat view
homepage.gif: www
msg_about.gif: profile
msg_delete.gif: delete
msg_edit.gif: edit
msg_email.gif: email
msg_forward.gif: fwd
msg_pm.gif: pm
msg_quote.gif: quote
msg_reply.gif: reply
new_pm.gif new pm
new_thread.gif: new thread
post_reply.gif: post reply
show_posts.gif: posts
tree_view.gif: tree view

FUDforum Core Developer
Singular/Plural issue [message #2074 is a reply to message #1979] Mon, 29 April 2002 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
After reading the FAQs on i18n I've decided it would be more appropriate to translate "member(s)" like strings to plural, always.

This is because many languages don't have slavick concept of many/single for numbers and it would result in unusual situations for those languages. The use of plural also appears to be a common practice in existing i18n projects that I've looked up.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Translators Needed [message #2270 is a reply to message #1239] Tue, 07 May 2002 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ecxeleron is currently offline  Ecxeleron   Australia
I could translate fud in to Polish, and give polish technical support (I'm familiar with php/mysql)

Re: Translators Needed [message #2299 is a reply to message #2270] Tue, 07 May 2002 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kerhold is currently offline  Kerhold   Poland

The Ecxeleron wrote on Tue, 07 May 2002 5:04 AM

I could translate fud in to Polish, and give polish technical support (I'm familiar with php/mysql)

It's already there. Laughing

Kerhold Cool

Common sense is not so common.
Re: Translators Needed [message #2379 is a reply to message #1239] Wed, 08 May 2002 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can Hackie or Protoss speak Polish by any chance? Smile

icon6.gif  Re: Translators Needed [message #2381 is a reply to message #2379] Wed, 08 May 2002 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kerhold is currently offline  Kerhold   Poland

I don't think so. Rolling Eyes

But I could be wrong. Embarassed

Best regards,

Kerhold Cool

Common sense is not so common.
Re: Translators Needed [message #2384 is a reply to message #2379] Wed, 08 May 2002 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The Ecxeleron wrote on Wed, 08 May 2002 7:41 AM

Can Hackie or Protoss speak Polish by any chance? Smile

Nope.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Translators Needed [message #2433 is a reply to message #1239] Thu, 09 May 2002 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So who translated it before I could?

Re: Translators Needed [message #2441 is a reply to message #2433] Thu, 09 May 2002 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Kerhold did Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Translators Needed [message #2814 is a reply to message #1239] Thu, 30 May 2002 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ala1 is currently offline  Ala1   Germany
I will translate the help files to German (is not included in actual version).
icon14.gif  Re: French Translation [message #2864 is a reply to message #1239] Mon, 03 June 2002 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fruey is currently offline  fruey   Morocco
I have already started a translation for French; it's only the first 140 or so lines (at the moment) but at least consult with me should you have more free time than I have to translate. I will post updates as I get on with more progress.

Regards,
Simon
Re: Translators Needed [message #2869 is a reply to message #1239] Mon, 03 June 2002 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where is it possible to translate the words for the current date (January, February,... and also the short forms Jan, Feb, ...)?
Re: Translators Needed [message #2871 is a reply to message #2869] Mon, 03 June 2002 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

Ala1 wrote on Mon, 03 June 2002 18:53

Where is it possible to translate the words for the current date (January, February,... and also the short forms Jan, Feb, ...)?

Those aren't controlled by us fully, your operating system is responsible for those, we export a LC_ALL environment variable, and your OS should support posix locales. If it doesn't bug your admin or read up on localdef utility.

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Translators Needed [message #2882 is a reply to message #1239] Tue, 04 June 2002 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, I saw in core.inc that the syntax is:
@setlocale(LC_ALL, $GLOBALS['LOCALE']);

the problem is in the admin- language-selection when I change the value for Language to german, the default value for Locale is de but it should be "german" so that it works. Could you please change it in future releases? Then it works fine with date and time. Thanks.
Re: Translators Needed [message #2888 is a reply to message #2882] Tue, 04 June 2002 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ala1 wrote on Tue, 04 June 2002 05:27

ok, I saw in core.inc that the syntax is:
@setlocale(LC_ALL, $GLOBALS['LOCALE']);

the problem is in the admin- language-selection when I change the value for Language to german, the default value for Locale is de but it should be "german" so that it works. Could you please change it in future releases? Then it works fine with date and time. Thanks.

That is actually something unique to your system, because 'de' is actually a more common way of refering to the german language according to POSIX. I will do more tests on what is supported on various servers, maybe this value will be changed to german.

Btw, which OS are you running?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Translators Needed [message #2890 is a reply to message #2888] Tue, 04 June 2002 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, thanks. My provider told me: Redhat Linux with Apache.
Re: Translators Needed [message #2958 is a reply to message #1239] Wed, 05 June 2002 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about a translation HOW-TO? I'm looking around to see what file to modify and I can't find it any more. I also remember when I discussed this before (in IRC) then there was something about recompiling and all that.

A few lines here somewhere would be useful, I think.

Regards
Re: Translators Needed [message #2959 is a reply to message #2958] Wed, 05 June 2002 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The user How-To can be translated, all the 'help' howto files are located inside the i18n/{language}/help/ directory.

For example the polish help files were already translated.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Translators Needed [message #2961 is a reply to message #2959] Wed, 05 June 2002 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What I meant was, a document on How to translate the stuff, points to not screw up, how to recompile afterwards, etc. Rolling Eyes
Re: Translators Needed [message #2962 is a reply to message #2961] Wed, 05 June 2002 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
fruey wrote on Wed, 05 June 2002 13:44

What I meant was, a document on How to translate the stuff, points to not screw up, how to recompile afterwards, etc. Rolling Eyes

If you are referring to the FUDforum Manual, then your welcome to translate it, it is inside the CVS.

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous(at)asuka(dot)prohost(dot)org:/forum2 checkout fud2_docs

Command will fetch out the docbook xml of it. If you do translate it I will definately add it to the CVS and the Documentation page.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Translators Needed [message #2970 is a reply to message #2962] Wed, 05 June 2002 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I meant an idiot's guide to how to take the language file, enter your translations, copy it to the relevant directory, recompile the forum, and check your work. If that's already in the manual, then please point me to the relevant section, I couldn't find it.

Points I'm thinking of are like escaping apostrophes, not forgetting proper linebreaks, etc...

Coders aren't often translators, so translators have to have plenty help.
Re: Translators Needed [message #2973 is a reply to message #2970] Wed, 05 June 2002 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This is more along the lines of a developer documentation, but certainly something that can be explained.

I'll post a thread in the FUDforum 2 forum in regard to how to translate the forum to other languages.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Translators Needed [message #2991 is a reply to message #2973] Thu, 06 June 2002 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xavier is currently offline  xavier   Chile
I have started a translation for spanish, and currently have around 200 lines translated. I think I'll be able to complete it in the next few days.
I have a doubt about the use of some of the messages. Why are there messages for full month names (month_1, month_2, etc..), when (acording to one post in these same thread by hackie) FUDforum uses the locale for this sort of thing? Looking through the source code I saw these messages are being used, I just think is a much better idea to use the locale.
Re: Translators Needed [message #2992 is a reply to message #1239] Thu, 06 June 2002 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

I think you're talking about the birthday select on the register form.

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Translators Needed [message #2993 is a reply to message #2991] Thu, 06 June 2002 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
When the forum is printing dates it uses locale, however the month select you are refering to is actually printed manually, so that the user can choose the month of their birth on the profile page.
We cannot easily use a locale in that case.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Translators Needed [message #2995 is a reply to message #2993] Thu, 06 June 2002 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xavier is currently offline  xavier   Chile
What about create_month_select(). You could use that function only replacing this line:

$month = date("F", mktime(1, 1, 1, $i, 1, 0));

by this line:

$month = strftime("%B", mktime(1, 1, 1, $i, 1, 0));

I suppose strftime() is slower than date(), but it would be used only once for creating the month select. Just a thought.

Re: Translators Needed [message #2996 is a reply to message #2995] Thu, 06 June 2002 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Actually the code you propose would need to run 12 times, once per each month. Also, if the system does not for whatever reason supports the locale, this field will not be translated correctly.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon12.gif  Re: Translators Needed [message #4495 is a reply to message #1239] Sun, 28 July 2002 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vidaubannais is currently offline  vidaubannais   Germany
I came across FUD 3 days ago and fell in love with it the first minute (not longer after its *QUICK* installation Smile ) , but SHAME it is not in my Frenchy mother tongue language yet Very Happy

I have finished the transation in French language this morning but did not manage to get time to try it out yet (tomorrow monday, back to the real life, the office Confused ), plus I need to look into the help file as I think it should be translated too.

I'll keep you posted to provide you with my translated files soon after some tesing on them.

Ciao
Re: Translators Needed [message #4497 is a reply to message #4495] Sun, 28 July 2002 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks, I look forward to your French translation Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Here is the Frenchy version! [message #4591 is a reply to message #4497] Wed, 31 July 2002 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As promised, find enclosed all you need to turn your favorit forum into French Very Happy

However, please keep in mind:

DO NOT INSTALL THIS VERSION OF THE FILE ON YOUR PRODUCTION SYSTEM AS IT STILL SHOWS A FEW PROBLEMS.

The translation is finished, but still has not been tested intensively (e.g. I have done a few tests to make sure it was compiling and optimizing without showing missing messages or parser errors).

My main problems were (I should say ARE for some of them):

• I don't have a French keyboard at home Confused
    As I use an American keyboard, I had to add the accented characters (heavily used in French language) one by one manually (I use Linux and not Windows/Office and did not figured out any other ways to do so) - So if one of you, French patriots notice that a character is not accented when it should, let me know for me to update ASAP
  • Special characters to be protected Mad
    The msg handling by the parser is quite basic for efficient l18n operations: It in not able to protect special characters when they should be (e.g. in French, the character <'> is used in every sentence - unfortunately sometimes, some entries in the msg file are used in PHP scripts which complain when one of them is not protected [using the escape character \ accordingly]) - It would be a good thing for the humanity if FUD could take care of this business for us efficiently.
    As a result you MIGHT find strings displaying "J\'accepte" instead of "J'accepte" on the interface (this is only an example) - Same story here: If you see one of them walking around (even if I think I have cleaned them properly where needed), let me know ASAP
  • I am not a PHP Guru Sad
    The only tests I have done on FUD so far were on FUD official website (the crash test dummy test forum if you see what I mean) - [gimmy some credit, I have adopted FUD only 4 days ago, and had to read the doc on top of all of this] I did not get a chance to dig deeper into my own environment.
    It seems that I cannot create a new user (register) or even post a message on my FUD - Don't know if it is a problem of my installation yet or if the problem is caused by my msg file yet. If one of you could look into this and fix it (if needed), it would be great.

I hope I am going to receive a good feedback from this first release of the French msg file.

Enjoy Wink

Note: I had to rename the msg file "msg.txt" in order to be able to upload it on the forum - You need to remove the extension to install it OK
  • Attachment: msg.txt
    (Size: 63.91KB, Downloaded 1920 times)
Re: Here is the Frenchy version! [message #4593 is a reply to message #4591] Wed, 31 July 2002 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thank you very much, I'll make sure to add in the next release and it will be possible to choose to view this very forum in French when I do that.

I have a small request of you, there are a few small text bit that appear on FUDforum's buttons, could you please translate them to French and reply to this message with the translation.
Here are the text strings:

delete
Tree View
forward
edit
new thread
new p.message (new private message)
flat view
pm (private message)
email

Once those are translated I will be able to make translated buttons for FUDforum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Here is the Frenchy version! [message #4598 is a reply to message #4593] Wed, 31 July 2002 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
delete --> Effacer
Tree View --> Vue Arborescente (difficult to make it shorter!)
www ---> www
forward ---> Transférer
edit ---> Editer
posts ---> Messages
post reply ---> Repondre
new thread ---> Nouveau thread
profile ---> profile
new p.message (new private message) ---> Nouveau message perso
flat view ---> Vue plane
reply ---> Repondre
quote ---> Sitation
pm (private message) ---> mp (message personnel)
email ---> e-mail

Note1: In french, We do not have a world for "post", we just say "message", We know what we talk about, I mean there is no chance to get confused with MP (personal message)

Note2: In French, it does not really matter if you put a capital letter at the beginning of a world as long as it is not a NAME (person's name) or that it is a the very beginning of a sentence (I specify this as I know that in German for instance, it is not so easy)

[Updated on: Wed, 31 July 2002 20:39]

Re: Here is the Frenchy version! [message #4599 is a reply to message #4593] Wed, 31 July 2002 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, could you let me know if you see that anything is wrong when you try the file (e.g. not possible to register .etc ...)
Re: Here is the Frenchy version! [message #4600 is a reply to message #4599] Wed, 31 July 2002 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Will do, I'll let you know tonight or tommorow if I had come across any problems.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Here is the Frenchy version! [message #4607 is a reply to message #4600] Thu, 01 August 2002 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Came across a little problem with button label for 'Tree View'.
Your text is just WAY too long.

I've come up with two alternatives to the text you've suggested, let me know which one you think matches the meaning the best and I'll use it.

Vue chaînée
vue filetée

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Here is the Frenchy version! [message #4611 is a reply to message #4607] Thu, 01 August 2002 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
UserTom is currently offline  UserTom   United States
Er...
Vue branche?
Vue embranché?

[Updated on: Thu, 01 August 2002 04:05]

Re: Here is the Frenchy version! [message #4614 is a reply to message #4611] Thu, 01 August 2002 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
I think "vue branche" or even "vue en branche" is the most nice sounding to me ...
The msg file needs to me modified to shift "arborescent" or/and "arborescente" the same way.
Pages (2): [1  2    »]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Protected email address
Next Topic: Question: Message counter
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 08:15:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02784 seconds