FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » CVS Patch
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
CVS Patch [message #1883] Wed, 24 April 2002 05:21 Go to next message
mauftarkie   United States

Ah, you knew this was coming... Smile

As promised, I worked in FUDforum 2 tonight. Most of tonight was spent trying to wrap my head around the new way of doing things.

I managed to squash a bug, though: gender would default to female if it was set to "unspecified".

I tinkered with the MIME types (and added a few) in def_mime.sql. I based my corrections on the official Apache mime.types that I have on my server.

Everything else is grammar/spelling/consistency fixes.

Now for the bugs I identified, but didn't fix (either due to time or incomprehension on how the code is structured):
compact.php spits out an error (line 133, IIRC) if you try to compact an empty forum (such as one that is freshly installed). I had a patch for it, but I was unclear on some of the process and so I left it out. It was a broken patch anyway.

I guess this isn't really a bug, but it can lead to a problem. I think the install script should force the user to put an email address into NOTIFY_FROM. I say this because:

1. the admin might not know they need to set this value, and
  2. it's used for registration purposes.

A blank "From:" isn't very friendly. Sad

Lastly, I promise I actually installed this patch and played with it before I uploaded it here. I've been sloppy the past few nights and I apologize.
Re: CVS Patch [message #1895 is a reply to message #1883] Wed, 24 April 2002 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Thank you very much for a great patch Smile

I've included the patch in the CVS as well as added a source.gif icon for the perl & php mime types you've added.

The only change that you have and I didn't apply was in register.tmpl. Because your patch removed the explanation text of the notification option. Since, I had not seen a reasoning for that change I decided not to apply it.

The NOTIFY_FROM & the compactor error will be fixed shortly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CVS Patch [message #1898 is a reply to message #1883] Wed, 24 April 2002 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
the 2 issues you've mentioned have been fixed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CVS Patch [message #1900 is a reply to message #1895] Wed, 24 April 2002 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss wrote on Wed, 24 April 2002 7:55 AM

The only change that you have and I didn't apply was in register.tmpl. Because your patch removed the explanation text of the notification option. Since, I had not seen a reasoning for that change I decided not to apply it.

Bah. So I did. Sorry, it wasn't intended. I meant to remove the Y/N variable on the left since it's the same as the radio button to the right, correct? At least, the Y/N is modified when I change and submit the radio button. Seems a little redundant to me, but if that's intentional I guess I can leave it alone. Smile
Re: CVS Patch [message #1921 is a reply to message #1900] Wed, 24 April 2002 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Good catch, variable removed in CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CVS Patch [message #1965 is a reply to message #1883] Fri, 26 April 2002 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Tonight's patch includes minor spelling, grammar, and consistency fixes. The usual stuff from me. I also think that the install script should either encrypt the "root" password in a password textbox, or drop one of the password inputs. The only reason to type the password twice is because they should be *'d out. I have changed the password boxes, but you may want to do it differently.

The big bug I worked on and fixed tonight was the email image button. I found out that the user can have "Allow Email Messages" disabled in their profile, and yet still have the email button show up everywhere the email button was. As far as I can tell, that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Three things that I noticed, but was unable to fix. One, the send a message through ICQ in userinfo had a mislabeled label (sender_email). I corrected it in the English and German msg files, but djupsjob will probably need to fix it in the Swedish since I'm not sure what it should be. And I'm too chicken to guess.

Two, polls. I got stuck on this one for awhile, and it's actually two problems. Ready for some fun? Create a thread and create a poll. The first thing I noticed is that the "Disable smilies" checkbox does not stick between form submissions. But you can still select it and submit a poll option... which lead me to the next bug. And this one is a doozy. Enter ")" (minus quotes) as an option. Hit update. Now edit your poll. BAM! Mozilla either coredumps, or if it's being nice, it gives me a nice juicy eval error. Konq tells me that there was an error and then dumps me back to the main screen. Of course, I lose the message and poll in the process...

Third, and not as exciting as the last one, actually create a new message. While looking at the message, click on the "profile" button (or username). The error up top, "You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this thread." ... is odd. I'm not looking at a thread, I'm looking at a user profile.

Heh. That's it for tonight. Don't stay up too late. Smile
Re: CVS Patch [message #1968 is a reply to message #1965] Fri, 26 April 2002 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
mauftarkie wrote on Fri, 26 April 2002 9:24 AM

Three things that I noticed, but was unable to fix. One, the send a message through ICQ in userinfo had a mislabeled label (sender_email). I corrected it in the English and German msg files, but djupsjob will probably need to fix it in the Swedish since I'm not sure what it should be. And I'm too chicken to guess.

So, what should I do? Can you tell exactly what you did change so that I know what to look for.
Re: CVS Patch [message #1970 is a reply to message #1968] Fri, 26 April 2002 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Quote:

Two, polls. I got stuck on this one for awhile, and it's actually two problems. Ready for some fun? Create a thread and create a poll. The first thing I noticed is that the "Disable smilies" checkbox does not stick between form submissions. But you can still select it and submit a poll option... which lead me to the next bug. And this one is a doozy. Enter ")" (minus quotes) as an option. Hit update. Now edit your poll. BAM! Mozilla either coredumps, or if it's being nice, it gives me a nice juicy eval error. Konq tells me that there was an error and then dumps me back to the main screen. Of course, I lose the message and poll in the process...

Hi I'm only able to replicate the "disable smilie" bug, the checkbox doesn't accept being checked marked once u update it. On my version (still yesterday's state when I reported the bugs) I can create a poll, options and whatever I want with a closed bracket without having problems, no matter how often I edit my post. Maybe it's been caused by something not related to the forum itself?
bye
Ken
Re: CVS Patch [message #1971 is a reply to message #1970] Fri, 26 April 2002 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Ah, If I use the opening bracket as an option I'm able to produce a bug that's definetely an issue with the forum. Looks really amazing Wink:
Quote:

Parse error: parse error, expecting `'('' in /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php(450) : eval()'d code on line 1

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php(450) : eval()'d code:1) in /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php on line 340

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php(450) : eval()'d code:1) in /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php on line 341

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php(450) : eval()'d code:1) in /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php on line 342

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php(450) : eval()'d code:1) in /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php on line 343

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php(450) : eval()'d code:1) in /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php on line 466

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php(450) : eval()'d code:1) in /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/kunden/web180/html/forum/poll.php on line 1543

Steps to reproduce:
Create a poll or edit an existing one. Then add "(" or "[" (without quotation marks) as an option. Now in the small window a bunch of error messages should appear.
bye
Ken

[Updated on: Fri, 26 April 2002 08:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: CVS Patch [message #1981 is a reply to message #1965] Fri, 26 April 2002 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've commited the patch that you've sent, thanks.

There was 1 thing I left out though and that was the change to the install script, which would have made the password fields of the type password.

I didn't do this, because I intentionally want the password to show up twice as text. The reason being that should you mis-type that field you'll need to re-install, unless you know enough to tinker with FUDforum's SQL.

Also, since it is the text field the user can always click "back" in their browser if they had forgotten the password or mistyped it originally. Using "password" type for the textbox eliminate such a posibility.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CVS Patch [message #1982 is a reply to message #1968] Fri, 26 April 2002 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob wrote on Fri, 26 April 2002 4:04 AM

So, what should I do? Can you tell exactly what you did change so that I know what to look for.

You need to modify the "sender_email" value in the msg file.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CVS Patch [message #1983 is a reply to message #1968] Fri, 26 April 2002 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

djupsjob wrote on Fri, 26 April 2002 1:04 AM

mauftarkie wrote on Fri, 26 April 2002 9:24 AM

Sorry, I should have been a litte more clear. The English msg file had:

sender_email: Sender Name:

It now reads:

sender_email: Sender Email:

Thanks.
Re: CVS Patch [message #1984 is a reply to message #1971] Fri, 26 April 2002 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yeah, those are the errors. I was too afraid to try when composing the message last night under Mozilla because it would randomly coredump on me and I didn't want to lose my message. I only saw this output under Mozilla, Konq gave me a nice user-friendly error screen. I still lost the message, though. Smile

I discovered this accidently while putting smilies in my poll options. I then figured out that it was the ()[]{} characters that was causing it...

I scratched my head trying to figure it out for a good hour or so. I finally admitted defeat.
Re: CVS Patch [message #1985 is a reply to message #1981] Fri, 26 April 2002 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Okay, the password textbox isn't a big deal. I figured there was a good reason for it, but I submitted the patch just in case.

Thanks!
Re: CVS Patch [message #1986 is a reply to message #1984] Fri, 26 April 2002 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
mauftarkie wrote on Fri, 26 April 2002 12:23 PM

Yeah, those are the errors. I was too afraid to try when composing the message last night under Mozilla because it would randomly coredump on me and I didn't want to lose my message. I only saw this output under Mozilla, Konq gave me a nice user-friendly error screen. I still lost the message, though. Smile

I discovered this accidently while putting smilies in my poll options. I then figured out that it was the ()[]{} characters that was causing it...

I scratched my head trying to figure it out for a good hour or so. I finally admitted defeat.

Yeah, I see the bug and can replicate it easily, although my Mozilla 1.0Rc1 doesn't dump core hehe Smile

Should be fixed shortly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CVS Patch [message #1988 is a reply to message #1986] Fri, 26 April 2002 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The problem with polls has been fixed in latest CVS.

Affected file: cookies.inc.t

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: CVS Patch [message #1989 is a reply to message #1988] Fri, 26 April 2002 18:48 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
The loss of the disable smilies option has been fixed.

Affected files: poll.php.t poll.tmpl

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Bug report: changing the language doesn't change the graphic buttons
Next Topic: just a small bug today
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 06:25:03 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02286 seconds