FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Multi-linual input
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Multi-linual input [message #214] Fri, 25 January 2002 04:16 Go to next message
zerobits is currently offline  zerobits   United Kingdom
Can we allow feature for the user to type in chinese or japanese? Basically can this forum made to support multi-lingual? I notice others does. What does it takes to support multi-lingual? Question
Re: Multi-linual input [message #219 is a reply to message #214] Fri, 25 January 2002 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
zerobits wrote on Thu, 24 January 2002 11:16 PM

Can we allow feature for the user to type in chinese or japanese? Basically can this forum made to support multi-lingual? I notice others does. What does it takes to support multi-lingual? Question

Yeah, the user should be able to type messages in any language.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon3.gif  Re: Multi-linual input [message #224 is a reply to message #219] Sat, 26 January 2002 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, cannot, type in japanese, but garbage show on the screen. Do I need to enabled HTML posting? Neutral
Re: Multi-linual input [message #225 is a reply to message #224] Sat, 26 January 2002 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
zerobits wrote on Fri, 25 January 2002 8:44 PM

no, cannot, type in japanese, but garbage show on the screen. Do I need to enabled HTML posting? Neutral

You may need to, PHP has a nasty way of treating multi-byte characters, so htmlspecialchars() functions used by FUDforum, may cause problems.

To be honest, I have not done any multilingual tests yet, so I'd be grateful if you could share your results with me.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Multi-linual input [message #226 is a reply to message #224] Sat, 26 January 2002 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

zerobits wrote on Fri, 25 January 2002 8:44 PM

Infact we are very interested in making the forum i18n compliant, and if someone is willing to give us feedback on this we'd consider it, and probobly quite soon. Depending on how much work it requires, if it is not a lot of work it could go in around at 1.1.5 possibly or so, if it's a lot of work it's something we'd leave off for 1.2.0 or so, but then again we never know.

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Multi-linual input [message #234 is a reply to message #226] Sun, 27 January 2002 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suspect you need to enable HTML output in the forum postings. There's really nothing much you need to do, as multi-lingual output and display is handled by IE or netscape.

Is there a way where you can allow both FUDML and html to be turned on. So instead of having a drop down list to choose only either FUDml or html, you should have a check box to select either one or both.
Re: Multi-linual input [message #237 is a reply to message #214] Mon, 28 January 2002 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Actually what you need to do is put a metatag such as this
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS">

Which will tell the browser which character encoding to use.
This example I believe should allow for Japanese text (I copied this from http://www.honda.co.jp/ ).

I tried and it seems to work just fine.

However, certain character may be misinterpreted by FUDcode parser, which relies or preg_() style functions which may not support multi-byte characters properly.

Try it, if you come across any problems let me know.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Multi-linual input [message #251 is a reply to message #237] Tue, 29 January 2002 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about chinese chars? what encoding to use?
Re: Multi-linual input [message #252 is a reply to message #251] Tue, 29 January 2002 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
zerobits wrote on Mon, 28 January 2002 9:16 PM

what about chinese chars? what encoding to use?

I don't know. You could check on http://www.w3.org or look at the meta tags of a site, which uses Chinese characters.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Multi-linual input [message #459 is a reply to message #252] Wed, 13 February 2002 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ironstorm is currently offline  ironstorm   Canada

Another good site to look at for multi-language stuff is the site for Debian GNU/Linux, which has translations for something like 14 or more languages including a couple for Chinese (for Tawanese, HK'ers, and Mainlanders)...

You might be able to get the meta tags from there.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 February 2002 03:40]

Report message to a moderator

icon5.gif  Re: Multi-lingual input [message #509 is a reply to message #225] Fri, 15 February 2002 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fruey is currently offline  fruey   Morocco
Hello

I'd be interested in a multi-lingual version. Depends mainly on how much of your forum is hard coded and how much is in arrays / initialised at startup. It can be a big task to convert everything.

In any case, I'd love to have a version of the forum in French and could even help out a bit if you needed it.

Simon.
Re: Multi-linual input [message #512 is a reply to message #509] Fri, 15 February 2002 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
fruey wrote on Fri, 15 February 2002 6:53 AM

Hello

I'd be interested in a multi-lingual version. Depends mainly on how much of your forum is hard coded and how much is in arrays / initialised at startup. It can be a big task to convert everything.

In any case, I'd love to have a version of the forum in French and could even help out a bit if you needed it.

Simon.

As soon as version 1.2 is released (it is currently in final beta testing stage), we will start on the next version, who's primary feature would be addition of full template support and i18n, which would make multi-lingual.

P.S. All of the forum's developers reside in Ontario, so we are somewhat English biased Razz

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Fri, 15 February 2002 16:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Multi-linual input [message #519 is a reply to message #214] Fri, 15 February 2002 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ironstorm is currently offline  ironstorm   Canada

If you are going to make it multi-lingual it's proably a good idea to first convert it to template driven... That in itself will be a big jump.

Re: Multi-linual input [message #521 is a reply to message #519] Fri, 15 February 2002 22:56 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
ironstorm wrote on Fri, 15 February 2002 5:49 PM

If you are going to make it multi-lingual it's proably a good idea to first convert it to template driven... That in itself will be a big jump.

I know, that's the plan...

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Mirroring threads across separate boards
Next Topic: Login return to the page you were on..
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 02:36:07 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05933 seconds