FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » My little suggestion: Instant Messaging
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #119] Tue, 22 January 2002 02:38 Go to next message
zerobits is currently offline  zerobits   United Kingdom
hi,

thanks for the great work that you guys have done, and you are quick to fix bugs too. I'm very impressed with your enthusiasm.

Like to suggest one feature, which is quite different from PM.

-> A web-based Instant Messaging.

Whenever user logins, he can activate instant messaging by clicking on a link and a popup window appears listing all the users currently online.

And a click on the user allows him to send simple text message to each other.

The popup window refresh at periodic time, some polling mechanism script to monitor if each user receives any new message, if yes, the message is popped up.

If you want to see a live one in action, please go to www.makanplace.org, once registered, when you sign in, you see the instant messaging at work.

Just a little idea, a simple modification of your PM script should be enough to make it into a IM tool, but it will sure bring back lotsa fun in posting. Rather than every time if i want to send a person message, i need to go to Profile, click on PM and then send, and need to come back and check if I receive any replies.
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #120 is a reply to message #119] Tue, 22 January 2002 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Interesting concept.

What does it do when there are multiple messages to a user,
does it pop them up all @ once, or does it offer some sort of a message navigator?

Also, would it be better for example to follow in the steps of ICQ, and instead of popuping up the message putting some sort of flashing icon beside the name of the user from who you have messages in queue?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #121 is a reply to message #120] Tue, 22 January 2002 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when there are multiple messages (they are basically stored in a database table), it is queued and displayed to the user, based on time chronological order. I guess that can be one implementation or like what you suggested, is to have a ICQ0-like function.

But IM is really cool, many users want this feature. And a icon gif on each user's posting under their author box to indicate whether they are online would be excellent, rather than everytime i have to go back to the main page to see who are online. The Who's online feature should be prevalent in every page, so that a simple click of the user icon, I can send an instant message to him.
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #124 is a reply to message #121] Tue, 22 January 2002 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
zerobits wrote on Mon, 21 January 2002 10:05 PM

when there are multiple messages (they are basically stored in a database table), it is queued and displayed to the user, based on time chronological order. I guess that can be one implementation or like what you suggested, is to have a ICQ0-like function.

But IM is really cool, many users want this feature. And a icon gif on each user's posting under their author box to indicate whether they are online would be excellent, rather than everytime i have to go back to the main page to see who are online. The Who's online feature should be prevalent in every page, so that a simple click of the user icon, I can send an instant message to him.

Online/Offline indicator can be pretty easily integrated into the drawmsg.inc file, which is responsible for drawing messages on just about all the pages...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #129 is a reply to message #124] Tue, 22 January 2002 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Mon, 21 January 2002 10:14 PM

zerobits wrote on Mon, 21 January 2002 10:05 PM

Online/Offline indicator can be pretty easily integrated into the drawmsg.inc file, which is responsible for drawing messages on just about all the pages...

So is there a plan to implement IM? I'd love to collaborate with you if my services are needed.

When are you releasing the feature for online/offline?
And how about having the "Logged in user" box on the main page on every pages?

Thanks so much! Wink
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #135 is a reply to message #129] Tue, 22 January 2002 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
zerobits wrote on Mon, 21 January 2002 10:38 PM

So is there a plan to implement IM? I'd love to collaborate with you if my services are needed.

I'd imagine this would require quite a bit of beta testing and feedback, if you are willing to take upon the role of beta tester it would be of great help.

Quote:

When are you releasing the feature for online/offline?

I am planning on making 1.0.1 release sometime this week (Friday or Thursday), it will include the fixes to the bugs you've noticed as well as few other you didn't Razz

Quote:

And how about having the "Logged in user" box on the main page on every pages?

You can do it yourself actually Smile
put this inside your footer:

<?php if( substr(strrchr($GLOBALS['HTTP_SERVER_VARS']['SCRIPT_NAME'], '/'), 1) != 'index.php' ) fud_use('logedin.inc'); ?>

We'll probably add an option to allow to do that without needing to tinker with the footer in version 1.0.1

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #141 is a reply to message #135] Tue, 22 January 2002 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i tried adding the line using the Style Manager to the footer setting.

It gives me the following error...

Warning: chmod failed: Operation not permitted in /xxx/public_html/kopitiam/adm/admstyle.php on line 223

Warning: chmod failed: Operation not permitted in /xxx/public_html/kopitiam/adm/admstyle.php on line 224

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /xxx/public_html/kopitiam/adm/admstyle.php:223) in /xxx/public_html/kopitiam/adm/admstyle.php on line 226

But it works though, any idea how those errors come about? Do we need a fix?
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #143 is a reply to message #135] Tue, 22 January 2002 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Mon, 21 January 2002 11:20 PM

I'd imagine this would require quite a bit of beta testing and feedback, if you are willing to take upon the role of beta tester it would be of great help.

So are you going to implement IM? I can volunteer as beta-tester.
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #144 is a reply to message #141] Tue, 22 January 2002 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
hrm...

2 questions:

1) Which install did you use, shell script or install.php?

2) Could you show me directory listing of your forum settings directory (the ones stores inside FORUM_SETTINGS_PATH variable).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #145 is a reply to message #143] Tue, 22 January 2002 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
zerobits wrote on Mon, 21 January 2002 11:44 PM

prottoss wrote on Mon, 21 January 2002 11:20 PM

So are you going to implement IM? I can volunteer as beta-tester.

I'd say version 1.0.2 or so, since I intended 1.0.1 to be mostly a bug fix release, which will resolve the various little bloopers.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #146 is a reply to message #144] Tue, 22 January 2002 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. web-based install
2. /xxx/public_html/kopitiam/data/settings/

thanks
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #147 is a reply to message #146] Tue, 22 January 2002 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
zerobits wrote on Mon, 21 January 2002 11:48 PM

1. web-based install
2. /xxx/public_html/kopitiam/data/settings/

thanks

err...

I wanted to see the permission of the files inside that directory.

Could you run "ls -lia" inside that directory, I am wondering why php was able to create files but not chmod them.

As you saw from the error message the script gave, it had a problem chmoding the files to 666.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #148 is a reply to message #147] Tue, 22 January 2002 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've actually enabled them to owner: makan group:makan and 777 earlier on, as i have problems amending some of the files, because after web install, some of the files are owned by nobody and group nobody which doesn't allow me to amend the scripts.

so how to fix this?

now my style manager cannot work... it gives error as above.
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #149 is a reply to message #148] Tue, 22 January 2002 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
zerobits wrote on Mon, 21 January 2002 11:56 PM

i've actually enabled them to owner: makan group:makan and 777 earlier on, as i have problems amending some of the files, because after web install, some of the files are owned by nobody and group nobody which doesn't allow me to amend the scripts.

so how to fix this?

now my style manager cannot work... it gives error as above.

Yeah, when the web install runs it has no choice but to assign the webserver permissions to the files.
You can however restore the permissions back to yourself, by using a chown command, for example:

if your forum's settings are inside
/home/user/forum/settings/
you can do chown makan:makan /home/user/forum/ /home/user/forum/settings/

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #150 is a reply to message #149] Tue, 22 January 2002 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but i have already chown makan:makan on /xxx/public_html/kopitiam/data/settings. Is that not enuff?

which brings me to the question, what should be the correct settings (owner:group, permission bits) for /xxx/public_html/kopitiam/data/settings which contains all the *.inc files.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 January 2002 05:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #151 is a reply to message #150] Tue, 22 January 2002 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
zerobits wrote on Tue, 22 January 2002 12:08 AM

but i have already chown makan:makan on /xxx/public_html/kopitiam/data/settings. Is that not enuff?

which brings me to the question, what should be the correct settings (owner:group, permission bits) for /xxx/public_html/kopitiam/data/settings which contains all the *.inc files.

err...

settings directory is where the settings files are kept, the *.inc are in a different directory, unless you've put them inside settings also.

The correct permissions for the settings files should be 666, allowing both you and the webserver to edit them. The directory itself should be chmoded 1777 or 777 allowing your & the webserver to create new files in it.

P.S. could you PM the actual file listing inside that directory, including the permissions, it would be REALLY helpful.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #153 is a reply to message #151] Tue, 22 January 2002 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just PM you, check your PM.
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #154 is a reply to message #153] Tue, 22 January 2002 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Patch for the problem.
  • Attachment: admstyle.php
    (Size: 12.52KB, Downloaded 991 times)

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #157 is a reply to message #119] Tue, 22 January 2002 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes fixed. thanks! Laughing
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #159 is a reply to message #157] Tue, 22 January 2002 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I am on a roll today Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #230 is a reply to message #159] Sat, 26 January 2002 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Tue, 22 January 2002 1:08 AM

I am on a roll today Smile

so protoss, are we going to see IM feature in the next release? Comon' don't disappoint us? This is already a marvellous script, with IM and SMS, this is going to be the best! Wink
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #313 is a reply to message #230] Fri, 01 February 2002 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Were are currently considering how to implement the IM system as per your suggestion.

We've done some research & a little bit of playing around with code and few questions/issues have come up. Since your site use to have a similar system I was hoping you could help us come up with an answer (obviously anyone who has an opinion or suggestion is welcome to participate).

1. FUDforum has a buddy list, should the popup menu only have links to allow you to IM your online buddies? The problem with doing it for all the online users, is that on a large forum (ex. http://www.hardforum.com/) with over 400 users logged it at any one time showing ALL online users will make this list unusable.
  2. When & How to popup the IM window for people, should it be automatic upon login for registered users?
  3. Should the IM window try to stay on top of the normal browser window?
  4. How often should the window refresh to update the info shown?

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Fri, 01 February 2002 21:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #367 is a reply to message #119] Fri, 08 February 2002 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can see an example of a portal with instant messaging at www.postnuke.com.
Re: My little suggestion: Instant Messaging [message #368 is a reply to message #119] Fri, 08 February 2002 09:03 Go to previous message
You can see an example implementation of a forum at http://www.postnuke.com. Some of their demo sites come with IM or go to their Modules download area, they have the source to how an IM could be implemented.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Private Topics?
Next Topic: Suggestion
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Aug 31 23:55:15 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04117 seconds