FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Mirroring threads across separate boards
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon2.gif  Mirroring threads across separate boards [message #382] Sat, 09 February 2002 19:51 Go to next message
ironstorm is currently offline  ironstorm   Canada

I posted a message on my Win2K box, and I
was thinking this should go on the main FUD Board too...
(as it has steps on how to configure SMTP on Win)

I was thinking wouldn't be cool if I could log on to
the FUD.prohost.org board and then enter a command that
would go to my to my server and mirror the thread over.

What do people think?
<
Re: Mirroring threads across separate boards [message #383 is a reply to message #382] Sun, 10 February 2002 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
ironstorm wrote on Sat, 09 February 2002 2:51 PM

I posted a message on my Win2K box, and I
was thinking this should go on the main FUD Board too...
(as it has steps on how to configure SMTP on Win)

I was thinking wouldn't be cool if I could log on to
the FUD.prohost.org board and then enter a command that
would go to my to my server and mirror the thread over.

What do people think?

An interesting, however very difficult concept to implement properly at the moment. Why difficult? Well, a thread can contain numerous message, each message could have polls, attached files etc... Also, what if some of the posters in the thread are only members of one forum, do their accounts get imported in the process or do the posters become "anonymous".

P.S. Thank you for the SMTP how-to, I'll be sure to copy it over ti this forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mirroring threads across separate boards [message #384 is a reply to message #383] Sun, 10 February 2002 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss wrote on Sat, 09 February 2002 7:50 PM

An interesting, however very difficult concept to implement properly at the moment. Why difficult? Well, a thread can contain numerous message, each message could have polls, attached files etc... Also, what if some of the posters in the thread are only members of one forum, do their accounts get imported in the process or do the posters become "anonymous".

Hmmm...
I'm glad you brought up those points, I hadn't really thought all the dependencies through.

When I was daydreaming about it earlier, I had thought that the if a site's message board wanted to allow thread mirroring, it could enable a view that renders a thread's data in an XML display (kinda like backend.php or slashdot's RSS files)...

I think it would be possible to mirror over a message thread structure with static stuff like the message bodies and file attachments, but I can't see polls working out.

Depending on what info was available in the mirror output, one might be able to match users across boards by their email address, and any non-matches could become anonymous posts (as you suggested)...

I definitely need to think about it some more... Smile
To gener
Re: Mirroring threads across separate boards [message #386 is a reply to message #384] Sun, 10 February 2002 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
To generate xml files with data of the forum is actually pretty easy. All that would take would be a slight mod of the output code to draw xml output rather then the current HTML one.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mirroring threads across separate boards [message #387 is a reply to message #382] Sun, 10 February 2002 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hmmm... how come the first 2 words of your reply ended up being
at the end of my previous post?

I wonder if it might have something to do with the regex you use to replace the smiles symbols perhaps?

[Updated on: Sun, 10 February 2002 17:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mirroring threads across separate boards [message #388 is a reply to message #387] Sun, 10 February 2002 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
ironstorm wrote on Sun, 10 February 2002 12:29 PM

A bug? This forum is running experiment version 1.1.3, which has MANY changes so it is a little buggy at this point.

I hoping to release 1.2 next week, it will have many speed improvments as well as few bug fixes.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mirroring threads across separate boards [message #413 is a reply to message #387] Mon, 11 February 2002 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

ironstorm wrote on Sun, 10 February 2002 12:29 PM

I wonder if it might have something to do with the regex you use to replace the smiles symbols perhaps?

nah it's a bug Smile we run rather expiremental forums on here.... but this one we fixed in 1.2 that's gunna be out in a very short while. th

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Mirroring threads across separate boards [message #487 is a reply to message #382] Thu, 14 February 2002 13:54 Go to previous message
FUDchild is currently offline  FUDchild   United States
thread inheritance would be nice, it could be written so that when the admin setup a forum it could have mirror selections so that as long as the thread has a mirror available when a post is made it could update the mirror as well. just write the script so that if the mirror is down or doesnt exist "bail"

dig it!
PEACE
{GT}TheGhost
AKA Ernest Buffington
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Excelent Bulletin Board
Next Topic: Multi-linual input
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 13:09:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02916 seconds