FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » styles folder is protected and cannot be altered
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon8.gif  styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #558] Sun, 17 February 2002 21:39 Go to next message
etraas is currently offline  etraas   Netherlands
Hi,

i wanted o use some other gif files in my forum, but the styles folder is protected.
the chmod comamnd does not work.

What am i doing wrong ??
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #559 is a reply to message #558] Sun, 17 February 2002 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
etraas wrote on Sun, 17 February 2002 4:39 PM

Hi,

i wanted o use some other gif files in my forum, but the styles folder is protected.
the chmod comamnd does not work.

What am i doing wrong ??

you need to chmod the folder and its contents recursively...

Do you use FTP client or shell account?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #560 is a reply to message #559] Sun, 17 February 2002 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,

i use a ftp client under linux called gftp.
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #561 is a reply to message #560] Sun, 17 February 2002 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
etraas wrote on Sun, 17 February 2002 4:43 PM

hi,

i use a ftp client under linux called gftp.

Does your ftp client support the "chown" command?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #562 is a reply to message #558] Sun, 17 February 2002 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, which client is supporting this command , i will install it ...
tell me futher what to do..
thnaks in advance
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #563 is a reply to message #562] Sun, 17 February 2002 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
etraas wrote on Sun, 17 February 2002 5:01 PM

no, which client is supporting this command , i will install it ...
tell me futher what to do..
thnaks in advance

it be easier if it did. But you can do without it here are the instructions:

for example sakes I'll /home/forum/www/docs/forum/ as the path for the directory where the forum is installed.

chmod 777 /home/forum/www/docs/forum/
chmod 777 /home/forum/www/docs/forum/styles/
chmod 777 /home/forum/www/docs/forum/styles/default/
chmod 666 /home/forum/www/docs/forum/styles/default/*

Replace the /home/forum/www/docs/forum/ with the path to the root web browseable directory of the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #603 is a reply to message #558] Mon, 18 February 2002 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my hosting service is telling me i cannot change the right because of the script which is creating the folders. I do not own the files in that foler .. is this right ???

Thanks
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #604 is a reply to message #603] Mon, 18 February 2002 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
etraas wrote on Mon, 18 February 2002 4:27 PM

my hosting service is telling me i cannot change the right because of the script which is creating the folders. I do not own the files in that foler .. is this right ???

Thanks

The webserver owns the file, BUT you own the root directory, hence you should be able to change permissions as you please.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #2545 is a reply to message #604] Sat, 11 May 2002 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake   United States
I recieve this same error except with the root directory of unknowns.

I have did chmod 777 of forums and of unknown
yet I can't touch the includes directory at all

Now have you considered the fact that the script installing the forums is setting the folder permissions wrong?

Since this tends to come up time and time again and I can't touch the headers or design stuff in the unknown directory.
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #2548 is a reply to message #2545] Sat, 11 May 2002 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can use the forum's file manager to change the permission of all the forum files.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #2550 is a reply to message #2548] Sat, 11 May 2002 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried that and it didn't work.
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #2556 is a reply to message #2550] Sat, 11 May 2002 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
Do u have shell access on ur web account? If so u could ssh/telnet there and do a chown either with typing the command or via Midnight Commander (bash$: mc)
bye Ken
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #2559 is a reply to message #2556] Sat, 11 May 2002 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok that didn't work either. I get a changing ownership not permitted when I do the include directory. The forum and unknown directory can be changed though.

Seriously you probably have a bug in your code.
Re: styles folder is protected and cannot be altered [message #2565 is a reply to message #2559] Sat, 11 May 2002 15:18 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Does your system have safe_mode enabled?

Send me your email via PM and I'll send you a debug script, then I'll be able to tell you exactly what is the problem and if indeed there is a bug with the Forum's file manager.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Deleted Files
Next Topic: PHP using all the CPU
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 08:21:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02902 seconds