FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » WinNT Install Probs
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #583 is a reply to message #580] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ironstorm is currently offline  ironstorm   Canada

prottoss wrote on Mon, 18 February 2002 12:16 PM

Could you please check if there are any files inside the: D:\\Inetpub\\wwwroot\\forums_HOTC_com\\files/ directory and if there are any could you show me the directory listing please.

Can you turn on directory listings for:
http://forums.sysop.com/files/

Then Prottoss can have a look at what's getting saved....

Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #584 is a reply to message #583] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
ironstorm wrote on Mon, 18 February 2002 12:20 PM

prottoss wrote on Mon, 18 February 2002 12:16 PM

Could you please check if there are any files inside the: D:\\Inetpub\\wwwroot\\forums_HOTC_com\\files/ directory and if there are any could you show me the directory listing please.

Can you turn on directory listings for:
http://forums.sysop.com/files/

Then Prottoss can have a look at what's getting saved....

That's okie, I think I know what the problem is...

Just need the data from SQL table to confirm my suspicion...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #585 is a reply to message #582] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jkrische2   United States
Gotcha...

here it is:

SELECT * FROM fud_attach (3 Records)
id proto location original_name owner private message_id dlcount
1 LOCAL D:Inetpubwwwrootforums_HOTC_com/files/1.atch <table>.png 3 N 2 0
5 LOCAL D:Inetpubwwwrootforums_HOTC_comfiles/5.atch 20_0.gif 1 N 4 0
4 LOCAL D:Inetpubwwwrootforums_HOTC_comfiles/4.atch cathappy.gif 3 N 5 0

generated 2/18/02 11:33:17 AM by MySQL-Front 2.1

Odd... where are all the directory slashes?
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #586 is a reply to message #585] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Magic Quotes?
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #587 is a reply to message #586] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ironstorm wrote on Mon, 18 February 2002 11:23 AM

Magic Quotes?

Question

OK, color me ignorant - "Magic Quotes" are... ??
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #588 is a reply to message #586] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That's the problem Sad

Although, I expected there to be 1 set of slashes the 2nd would be missing the total lack of slashes is even more puzzling...

I am including attach.inc in the message which may solve the problem, please replace your current one with this one and tell me when you do.

Thanks.
  • Attachment: attach.inc
    (Size: 3.83KB, Downloaded 1050 times)

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #589 is a reply to message #588] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Done!
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #590 is a reply to message #589] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a thought on the slashes...

Instead of:
"D:\\Inetpub\\wwwroot\\"

...and so on, should it maybe be...

"D:\/Inetpub\/wwwroot\/" or something along those lines?

Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #591 is a reply to message #589] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
jkrische2 wrote on Mon, 18 February 2002 12:29 PM

Done!

That seems to have fixed the problem...

Could you give me another listing from the fud_attach table in MySQL.

I want to see what is there now...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #592 is a reply to message #590] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
jkrische2 wrote on Mon, 18 February 2002 12:31 PM

Here is a thought on the slashes...

Instead of:
"D:\\Inetpub\\wwwroot\\"

Nope, you don't need to escape the / slashes...

You can use them fine in windows, PHP will interpret them fine...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #593 is a reply to message #517] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's the new SQL data:

SELECT * FROM fud_attach (4 Records)
id proto location original_name owner private message_id dlcount
7 LOCAL D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\forums_HOTC_com\files/7.atch <table>.png 3 N 2 1
5 LOCAL D:Inetpubwwwrootforums_HOTC_comfiles/5.atch 20_0.gif 1 N 4 0
4 LOCAL D:Inetpubwwwrootforums_HOTC_comfiles/4.atch cathappy.gif 3 N 5 0
6 LOCAL D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\forums_HOTC_com\files/6.atch b_image.gif 3 N 6 1

generated 2/18/02 11:49:10 AM by MySQL-Front 2.1

Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #594 is a reply to message #592] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss wrote on Mon, 18 February 2002 12:32 PM

This is equivalient to "D:/Inetpub/wwwroot/" Grin

Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #595 is a reply to message #593] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks...

Well the problem seems to have been solved by the patched attach.inc

You may find it easier to use / as the separator between directories rather then \ which you must enter as \\. This causes all kinds of nasty confusion both on part of PHP & MySQL since \ is an escape character, which to be interpreted normally needs to be escaped by itself, in a \\ manner.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #596 is a reply to message #595] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NT won't have a problem with the "/", going the "wrong" way for NT file paths? If so great, have to remember that for future PHP & MySQL coding.
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #597 is a reply to message #595] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss wrote on Mon, 18 February 2002 12:40 PM

You may find it easier to use / as the separator between directories rather then \ which you must enter as \\. This causes all kinds of nasty confusion both on part of PHP & MySQL since \ is an escape character, which to be interpreted normally needs to be escaped by itself, in a \\ manner.

Perhaps you could preg_replace \ (and \\) with / during the install in all the default values, so folks running IIS will get the same default path as folks running Apache.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 February 2002 17:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #598 is a reply to message #597] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
ironstorm wrote on Mon, 18 February 2002 12:44 PM

prottoss wrote on Mon, 18 February 2002 12:40 PM

Perhaps you could preg_replace \ (and \\) with / during the install in all the default values, so folks running IIS will get the same default path as folks running Apache.

Can't do that, s'pose someone installs the forum inside the "forum's dir" directory. In order to enter the path correctly it will need to be "forum\'s\ dir". If I replace \ & \\ I will most definately break their installation.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #599 is a reply to message #598] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

prottoss wrote on Mon, 18 February 2002 12:46 PM

Can't do that, s'pose someone installs the forum inside the "forum's dir" directory. In order to enter the path correctly it will need to be "forum\'s\ dir". If I replace \ & \\ I will most definately break their installation.[/quote]

I mean before folks edit the path, i.e.
<input name=www_root value='<?=preg_replace('/\/g','\',$DOCUMENT_ROOT)'>

Well I guess if they install it in /sharky\'s/htdocs then they'd run into that too Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 18 February 2002 17:50]

Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #600 is a reply to message #599] Mon, 18 February 2002 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum will support both \\ and /, however IMHO it is easier to use /. However, if there are any bugs due to incorrect usage of \\ inside FUDforum they'll be fixed Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #602 is a reply to message #517] Mon, 18 February 2002 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, cool - will use "/" in FUD where applicable. Handy to know for when I move this thing to its final home on another domain.

Just through up a test poll, and it worked fine, so it looks like all of the essentials are there at least. Just have to watch it and see at this point.

Prottoss, ironstorm, thanks both for your help!
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #1295 is a reply to message #517] Wed, 03 April 2002 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Gang...

Just updated to 1.2.4 and the install went without a hitch, but I'm discovering bugs as I try to use the thing in the most basic sense.

Structure:
PHP 4.1.0 (will be updating soon)
MySQL 3.23.39 (will be updating soon)
FUD 1.2.4

web root = d:\inetpub\wwwroot\forums_hotc_com
data dir = d:\inetpub\wwwroot\forum_data

both have very loose permissions for now, until I know it works.

url = forums.homeonthecam.com

Specific Error:

Trying to sign up as a user. Upon completing the form, a 30-second hang occurs, followed by these error messages:

Warning: Failed to Connect in D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\forum_data\include\email.inc on line 153

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\forum_data\include\email.inc on line 154

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\forum_data\include\core.inc on line 25

Looked around inside email.inc and core.inc at those line numbers, didn't see anything I knew how to change or was comfortable changing. Didn't find anything mailer-related inside globals.php either. Based on the error, I'm guessing it's looking for a linux-style mailer (sendmail, postfix, qmail, whatever) and not finding one, since this is NT.

I make this guess because this is not the only email-related failure I've hit in this FUD version on NT. Also tried to resend myself my password. Got no error message when I tried - but I got no email either. Further, pressing on and getting around the above error messages, the user can log in and sue the foirums but never receives the confirmation email (which is what I'm guessing the above is trying to do, yes?)

An SMTP server is available on the machine (IMail server, from ipswitch), but it requires authentication for all smtp traffic.

Any ideas?
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #1296 is a reply to message #1295] Wed, 03 April 2002 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
web root = d:\inetpub\wwwroot\forums_hotc_com
data dir = d:\inetpub\wwwroot\forum_data

should be:

web root = d:\\inetpub\\wwwroot\\forums_hotc_com
data dir = d:\\inetpub\\wwwroot\\forum_data

When you enter file paths in windows and you use \ as dir separator, you MUST enter then as \\, because normally \ is considered an escape character by PHP.

I believe PHP is not able to do authentication. If your server requires it you'll need to read up on how to make php's mail function send the AUTH information, by sending some special headers (guess work on my part)
The reason for the time out is simple, php sits on a socket to the SMTP server who in turn waits for PHP to send it auth information. So, php waits for SMTP server indefinately on the socket. Eventually PHP timeouts, and gives you the warning you're seeing here.

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Wed, 03 April 2002 23:04]

Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #1297 is a reply to message #1296] Wed, 03 April 2002 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, sorry, paths are actually using the "/" as you recommended last time. My mistake, was typing it in in NT terms instead of what's klisted in the config file.

Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #1298 is a reply to message #1297] Thu, 04 April 2002 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
jkrische2 wrote on Wed, 03 April 2002 6:50 PM

Oh, sorry, paths are actually using the "/" as you recommended last time. My mistake, was typing it in in NT terms instead of what's klisted in the config file.

aha Smile

I've done a little bit of reasearch and it would appear that PHP's native mail function simply cannot/doesn't support SMTP authentication. The only solution is to write your own smtp mailer that would be capable of supporting the particular brand of SMTP authentication your server supports.

Of course, making a suggestion to PHP development team to add SMTP auth to PHP is not a bad idea either Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #1299 is a reply to message #1298] Thu, 04 April 2002 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good idea on the devel team.

Is there a way to tell FUD to attmept to send through a server on a different machine (one where I don't have smtp auth)?

Re: WinNT Install Probs [message #1303 is a reply to message #1299] Thu, 04 April 2002 15:53 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
jkrische2 wrote on Wed, 03 April 2002 7:15 PM

Good idea on the devel team.

Is there a way to tell FUD to attmept to send through a server on a different machine (one where I don't have smtp auth)?

Yeah there is, in your php.ini change the smtp server to one which allows you to send mail without authentication.

FUDforum Core Developer
Pages (2): [ «    1  2]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Step 1 on install
Next Topic: Please Help, im going crazy with this............
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jul 26 23:53:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03503 seconds