FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Archiving an Email List
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Archiving an Email List [message #160221] Thu, 06 August 2009 04:13 Go to next message
wittrs is currently offline  wittrs   United States
Greetings.

I have a discussion group called Wittrs. Currently it is a Yahoo and a Google group. (I'd post the link, but I'm not allowed. Google "Wittrs Wittgenstein's Aftermath" if you want to see it)

What I would like to do is get a better archiving system. And, perhaps, a better discussion set up. I read that FUDforum has the ability for emails in the group to be posted, and for group members to get some sort of email if someone posts at FUDforum.

Trouble is, I don't know how to do this. Can anyone just sort of get me started? Like, do I need my own web host (which I have)?
Do I have to check to make sure the host can run php? Is this thing rather difficult to configure? I take it I have to download the software on the home page. But what next? I created for myself a log in, but it didn't really do anything.

Any grandmother-type help out there?
Re: Archiving an Email List [message #160222 is a reply to message #160221] Thu, 06 August 2009 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
This may help:

Installation: http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Installation

Defining Mailing List Rules: http://cvs.prohost.org/index.php/Mailing_List_Manager

Please let us know if you require more details.
Re: Archiving an Email List [message #160267 is a reply to message #160222] Wed, 12 August 2009 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello.

Here is what I have done so far. I had someone install the discussion board for me. It's up and running. And so now I would like to get it to capture my email group's messages. I went into the Administrator Control Panel, found the mailing list manager, and put in all the relevant options (the group addy, etc.).

But it is not working. It does tell me at the very end, however, that some sort of script needs put somewhere? Am I reading that correctly? Can you tell me where this script should be put? (Into what file)?

Also, do I have to subscribe the message board to my email group? How will it logically receive the posts?

Thanks for your help.
Configuring an Email Group [message #160273 is a reply to message #160221] Wed, 12 August 2009 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi.

I've installed FUDforum and have completed the email-group settings. But I don't know what to do next. There is an execution script of some sort that needs placed somewhere. The script appears to consist of the location of my maillist (maillist.php.1)

The directions speak of a "command line," which I don't appear to have, and they also give this example

:0:
* ^TO_.*php-general(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net
| /home/forum/F/test/maillist.php 1

(1) what does "php-general(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net" refer to?
(2) where does this command go -- in the maillist.php file?

Thanks for any help that is out there.
Re: Configuring an Email Group [message #160278 is a reply to message #160273] Thu, 13 August 2009 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can try one of these:

popfud - http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=19834&#msg_19834

fudbox - http://fudforum.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=19835&#msg_19835
Re: Configuring an Email Group [message #160279 is a reply to message #160278] Fri, 14 August 2009 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi. Thanks so much for those examples. I purchased a php book and am finally starting to understand this better. But what I am having trouble with is something that appears to be quite elementary. There's something extremely basic that I am not grasping. You have shown me two examples of php script, one that grabs emails and another that grabs a certain kind of archive. Presumably these examples stand as alternatives to the generic ones provided in FUDforum documentation? That documentation says one of two options exist:

1. run this: "cat 0471.msg | /usr/local/bin/php maillist.php 1" in the command prompt (for unix), which on my host I believe is located in something called a CRON tab, which allows me to run a Unix-shell command. (the maillist.php is a general example, mine looks a little different).

2. run the following script where php-general(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net is simply the email address you want to capture:
:0:
* ^TO_.*php-general(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net
| /home/FUDdata/scripts/maillist.php 1

Here is a very simple question. If I were to run 2 above, or if I where to take your example script instead, WHERE WOULD I PUT IT???? Does 2 (above) get inserted directly in the maillist.php file? If I use your recommended php script, do I use that as an alternative to 2, and if so -- WHERE DO I PUT IT? Does it go in place of maillist.php? (Just cut and past into the maillist.php file, erasing the old script and using the alternative you gave?).

I don't know where to put this stuff!!

Yours hopeful and wishing that my ignorance will soon be abated. And thank you so much for your help

Re: Configuring an Email Group [message #160280 is a reply to message #160279] Fri, 14 August 2009 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
All these examples simply pipe messages into the maillist.php script. Please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipeline_(software)

Example 2 makes use of procmail, which you must install before you can use it. Please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procmail
Re: Configuring an Email Group [message #160281 is a reply to message #160280] Fri, 14 August 2009 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... alright.

So that leaves me with the cron tab or popfud. If I choose popfud, all I have to do is:

1. copy the file to my scripts directory

2. change the define settings to match my own values.

Is there anything else? How does the computer know to run or access the file?

Also, do I change any of these things (don't yet know what they are:)

$mailing_lists = array(
5 => '/^List-Id.*whitebox-users\.beau\.org/im',
2 => '/^List-Id.*whitebox-announce\.beau\.org/im',
3 => '/^List-Id.*whitebox-devel\.beau\.org/im',
4 => '/^List-Id.*whitebox-ia64\.beau\.org/im'
);

P.S. -- Thank you for all of your help. I'm trying to learn this as best I can.

Re: Configuring an Email Group [message #160290 is a reply to message #160281] Sat, 15 August 2009 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello. Could you please assist me with this question:

popfud has the following array, which it says is the "id of the forum you want to load messages to." If I am understanding this correctly, this example is sending mail to the www.beau.org ??

$mailing_lists = array(
5 => '/^List-Id.*whitebox-users\.beau\.org/im',
2 => '/^List-Id.*whitebox-announce\.beau\.org/im',
3 => '/^List-Id.*whitebox-devel\.beau\.org/im',
4 => '/^List-Id.*whitebox-ia64\.beau\.org/im'
);

What would this array look like if the forum was http://seanwilson.org/forum/ and the number of the forum was simply 1?

Can I just do this:

$mailing_lists = 1

I don't think I need an array
Re: Configuring an Email Group [message #160294 is a reply to message #160290] Sun, 16 August 2009 10:48 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I haven't used this before, but you probably need something like:
$mailing_lists = array(
1 => '/^List-Id.*your-mailing-list-host/im'
);

Where:
1 - your forum number
2 - header in incoming mail to validate that it comes from the server that hosts the mailing list
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: How Can I Transfer a website?
Next Topic: What template/section ?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Oct 21 20:26:27 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02632 seconds