FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » Database discussions » Oracle database support
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Oracle database support [message #28545] Sun, 30 October 2005 11:48 Go to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi,

Oracle recently bought InnoDB (part of the MySQL DB) and just released a free version of their database. Not sure what it will do to MySQL in future. Nevertheless, I would love to see FUDForum also supporting Oracle!

More info here - http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Support for MYSQL vs Oracle XE [message #28547 is a reply to message #28545] Sun, 30 October 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
It won't do anything to MySQL. Oracle is a very rarely used database system used on conjuction with PHP and offers nothing over existing database backends that are supported. The effort required to support it is not worth the time.

FUDforum Core Developer
Oracle support (PDO?) [message #34056 is a reply to message #28545] Tue, 03 October 2006 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pgregg is currently offline  pgregg   United Kingdom
Almost a year ago Ilia wrote "oracle is a very rarely used database system used on conjuction with PHP and offers nothing over existing database backends that are supported. The effort required to support it is not worth the time."

I'm looking at FUDforum as a potential replacement in our company, however what has not been considered is that (huge win) if we don't have to install (and support) another database then we get huge buy-in from IT. No need to find other DBA skills, no worry (or investment) in new backup systems, etc.

Surely with Zend & Oracle's recent collaboration, and PDO+oci8 it would be helpful for FUDforum to support Oracle db?

Thanks,

Paul
Re: Oracle support (PDO?) [message #34058 is a reply to message #34056] Tue, 03 October 2006 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, since we now support PDO, technically speaking adding Oracle support and support for other database for which PDO provides drivers should not be too challenging. The main problem I have is that I do not have Oracle database readily available and would not be able to test forum's queries to ensure that they work.

That's really the only thing holding oracle driver for FUDforum back at this time.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Oracle support (PDO?) [message #35506 is a reply to message #34058] Wed, 17 January 2007 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yunosh is currently offline  yunosh   Germany
Has anyone tried to run FUDforum on Oracle in the meantime??
Re: Oracle support (PDO?) [message #35749 is a reply to message #34056] Wed, 07 February 2007 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ckrause is currently offline  ckrause   Germany
I'm also interested in Oracle Support!

How many time would you calculate to do this work?
Or is it already done?

Christian
Re: Oracle support (PDO?) [message #162932 is a reply to message #35749] Wed, 01 September 2010 20:56 Go to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
I've got FUDforum working against Oracle. If you can help us with testing, please contact me ASAP.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Error Message
Next Topic: When we are at our busiest
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 10 10:57:49 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02669 seconds