FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Is there a way to change anonymous name so that it's not "Anonymous Coward"?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  Is there a way to change anonymous name so that it's not "Anonymous Coward"? [message #859] Sun, 03 March 2002 23:35 Go to next message
juicysauce is currently offline  juicysauce   United States
Is there a way to change the anonymous login name so that it's not "Anonymous Coward"?
Re: Is there a way to change anonymous name so that it's not "Anonymous Coward"? [message #861 is a reply to message #859] Mon, 04 March 2002 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can change the name for anonymous users via the global control panel,

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Is there a way to change anonymous name so that it's not "Anonymous Coward"? [message #863 is a reply to message #861] Mon, 04 March 2002 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Embarassed i've gone through the admin control panel, but can't find it. sorry.
Re: Is there a way to change anonymous name so that it's not "Anonymous Coward"? [message #864 is a reply to message #859] Mon, 04 March 2002 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm... you're right it does appear to be missing. I've already fixed this in the CVS.

For now to change the nick you'll need to manually edit to GLOBALS.php file.

Open the file and search for $ANON_NICK, change the value of that variable to whatever you want the anonymous username to be.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Is there a way to change anonymous name so that it's not "Anonymous Coward"? [message #879 is a reply to message #864] Wed, 06 March 2002 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't open globals.php. I've tried opening it in the main forum folder and in the include folder, but with no luck.

I get an erros message telling me that no such file or folder exists. This isn't true, of course, but that's what the silly program is telling me.

I think it's because I'm running Windows. Is there some other way to access the file? Perhaps another FTP client? (I've tried WS FTP and CuteFTP to no avail.)

Sorry to be such a pain in the #%!

Thanks!
Re: Is there a way to change anonymous name so that it's not "Anonymous Coward"? [message #880 is a reply to message #879] Wed, 06 March 2002 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
juicysauce wrote on Tue, 05 March 2002 9:05 PM

I can't open globals.php. I've tried opening it in the main forum folder and in the include folder, but with no luck.

I get an erros message telling me that no such file or folder exists. This isn't true, of course, but that's what the silly program is telling me.

I think it's because I'm running Windows. Is there some other way to access the file? Perhaps another FTP client? (I've tried WS FTP and CuteFTP to no avail.)

Sorry to be such a pain in the #%!

Thanks!

Can your FTP client list the files inside the include directory?
You may need to 1st change directory to include and then try to download the file. Alsom upgrading to 1.2.2 will fix this bug and allow you to change the option via the admin control panel.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Is there a way to change anonymous name so that it's not "Anonymous Coward"? [message #881 is a reply to message #864] Wed, 06 March 2002 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
never mind... i fixed it!

instead of trying to d/l the file, i simply viewed it and then saved it my hard drive. after making the necessary changes, i uploaded it into the include folder.

thanks for all your help!!!

Razz
Re: Is there a way to change anonymous name so that it's not "Anonymous Coward"? [message #1102 is a reply to message #859] Thu, 21 March 2002 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BugLaden is currently offline  BugLaden   United States
Perhaps the language needs to be reworked. Anonymous Coward? I know you are trying to be cute, but you don't want to insult any propective members before they even register. Neutral

-=BugLaden
Re: Is there a way to change anonymous name so that it's not "Anonymous Coward"? [message #1105 is a reply to message #1102] Thu, 21 March 2002 05:30 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, this is not a hardcoded option, the admin can change the "nick" for anonymous users at any time.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Forum Languages
Next Topic: Thread Pruning by date
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 03:17:28 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01942 seconds