FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » importing data after server move
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
importing data after server move [message #8920] Sun, 02 March 2003 06:19 Go to next message
gekido is currently offline  gekido   Canada
k i've been running a fud forum for a while, we're now moving to a new upgraded server...

i did a 'datadump' from the old server, it created a .fud.gz file about 55 megs in size...

i ran the install.php file on the new forum, it's setup with the empty forum, the install process went fine...

the admin console works fine, i can login...but when i try to run the data import, it seems to just hang and not do anything...

i've let it run for quite a while (over an hour), but nothing seems to be happening...

just for curiousity, i've checked the database tables via webmin and nothing seems to be getting added to the database...

here's the machine info:

PHP built On: FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE #0: Sat Feb i386
MySQL Version: 3.23.55
PHP Version: 4.3.0
Web Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) PHP/4.3.0
WebServer to PHP interface: apache
Forum Version: 2.3.2
Relavent PHP Settings:
Safe Mode: OFF
Display Errors: ON
File Uploads: ON
Magic Quotes: ON
Register Globals: ON
Output Buffering: OFF
Disabled Functions: none
PSpell Support: Yes

do i need to turn safemode on to import data or something? i REALLY need this forum up asap, any help or suggestions you have is greatly appreciated.

the forum url is http://rfactory.uber-geek.ca/forum/

cheers

Mike W
Reality Factory Web Guy
http://rfactory.uber-geek.ca
Re: importing data after server move [message #8921 is a reply to message #8920] Sun, 02 March 2003 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, i also have a mysql datadump of the previous database's contents (about 22 megabytes) and a tar of the previous forums' 'forum_data' directory (about 60 megabyte).

any alternate's to doing a direct data import? can i just import and overwrite the default empty database with these somehow?

again, any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Re: importing data after server move [message #8923 is a reply to message #8921] Sun, 02 March 2003 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
k well, i let it run and finally the sucker completed...but it lost all of the file attachments that had been uploaded to the forum.

hmm...somewhat annoying as this is a game development forum and people are uploading useful attachments and whatnot all the time...

dunno...the forum works...i still have access to the old forum...might be good enough...can glean whatever i need from the old one i guess...sigh

[Updated on: Sun, 02 March 2003 10:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: importing data after server move [message #8941 is a reply to message #8923] Mon, 03 March 2003 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The import/dump process may work with safe_mode, but ideally it should be ran with it off. You also need to make sure that the version of the source & destination forum in the same, if they are not there may be problems.

You can manually move the forum too, basically you'll need to do the following:

1) Compress all forum directories & backup the mysql data
2) Decompress forum directories on new server & import mysql data
3) Modify GLOBALS.php to correct paths & sql info
4) Using the theme manager rebuild the theme.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #8952 is a reply to message #8941] Mon, 03 March 2003 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suckers already live on the new server.

sigh. too bad, those attachments were pretty important.

i had the exact version of the forum on each server, different php version, different mysql version.

and i thought of turning safemode on, but didn't know how ;]

[Updated on: Mon, 03 March 2003 18:39]

Re: importing data after server move [message #8953 is a reply to message #8952] Mon, 03 March 2003 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about adding those steps to the manual so people in the future don't have to do this?
Re: importing data after server move [message #8954 is a reply to message #8953] Mon, 03 March 2003 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ideally people should use the dump/import because it is the fastest and more proven method. The other method while it 'sounds' simply can be quite prolematic. Even I occasionaly have problems doing it and usually just use the dump/import.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #10440 is a reply to message #8954] Sun, 01 June 2003 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Micha37 is currently offline  Micha37   Germany
Hi Prottoss,

thanks for many of your advises in the past.
Also I finally have decided to move to a hosted exclusive server and would like to move my Fudforum from the orginal place to the new server.

Problem: I can not make a MySQL dump using FUDforum due to the script execution limits.

I can do a dump with other programs (MySQL Commander 2.51) but not with FUDForums integrated dump script.

Accordingly I can not import the dump into the newly created forum on the server.

Do you have any advise??

Best regards

Michael
Re: importing data after server move [message #10449 is a reply to message #10440] Mon, 02 June 2003 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can do a datadump manually but you need to do a bit of work.
In addition to dumping the SQL data you need to backup the messages/, files/ and images/ directories of your existing forum.

Then when you install a new forum and overwrite it's databases with the ones from the old forum you'll also need to import the files you've backed up into the appropriate directories.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #10461 is a reply to message #10449] Mon, 02 June 2003 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

I did everything:
1) Made a full dump of my MySQL database
2) Installed FUDforum on the new server (it was running but empty)
3) Overwrote the new SQL tables with my dump
4) Copied the messages/ and files/ directories from the old installation data directory to the new one. Which image directory did you mean??

Result : White screen as you can see at http://217.160.162.169/forum2/

You can see my PHP settings at http://217.160.162.169/phpinfo.php

Sorry but something went wrong.

Do you have any idea?

Best regards

Michael

[Updated on: Mon, 02 June 2003 14:19]

Re: importing data after server move [message #10462 is a reply to message #10461] Mon, 02 June 2003 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Did you modify your GLOBALS.php to use the right table prefix etc...?
Did you recompile the templates after importing the data?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #10463 is a reply to message #10462] Mon, 02 June 2003 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

I did not change the globals.php from the original installation. Also the table imported had the same prefix (fudforum) as the tables of the new forum, which I have overwritten. Do I still need to change anything in the globals.php.

Also could you let me know how to recompile the templates after importing the data

Tks and best regards

Michael
Re: importing data after server move [message #10479 is a reply to message #10463] Mon, 02 June 2003 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That should be fine, no GLOBALS.php changed are required. To rebuild templates go to the theme manager and use the rebuild themes link.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #10483 is a reply to message #10479] Mon, 02 June 2003 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

thanks for the advise.
Problem is that I can not call the Admin Menu due to the resulting white screen. If I call the Addresse http://217.160.162.169/forum2/adm/ I am getting an 403

Any idea?

Best regards

Michael
Re: importing data after server move [message #10495 is a reply to message #10483] Mon, 02 June 2003 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Are there any files inside the adm/ directory and if so, does the webserver have permission to access them?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #10504 is a reply to message #10495] Tue, 03 June 2003 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

I did CHMOD 777 to all files inside /adm and the directory itself. Now the result is a white screen as well but at least no error message.

Thanks for your advise.

Best regards
Re: importing data after server move [message #10508 is a reply to message #10504] Tue, 03 June 2003 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Make sure that other files are also accessible to the webserver.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #10579 is a reply to message #10508] Thu, 05 June 2003 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

did 777 to everything but no change. My wondering point is, why the program changed the CHMOD settings after first installation, which used to work before dumping the SQL backup?

Anyway, still no chance.

If you wish, I can give you FTP access to my server (1&1) + MYSQL and you can see yourself, whats wrong.

Best regards

Michael
Re: importing data after server move [message #10952 is a reply to message #10579] Sat, 14 June 2003 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

I am still struggeling with this matter.
I did again the following steps:

1) Tared the original (working) Forum Directory and Data directory.
2) Untared them to the new server.
3) Copied the MySQL dump to the new server
4) Edited the GLOBALS.php (new root and new MYSQL Server)

Result ist, that I am getting an error message:
Quote:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: fud_use() in /homepages/3/d81427973/htdocs/diabetesring/Forum/index.php on line 19

You can see that at http://217.160.162.169/diabetesring/Forum/

Do you have any idea for this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards

Michael
Re: importing data after server move [message #10953 is a reply to message #10952] Sat, 14 June 2003 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW, I am still using FUDforum 2.3.1
Re: importing data after server move [message #10962 is a reply to message #10953] Sat, 14 June 2003 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
To be honest with you, version 2.3.1 is quite old and has many bugs that by know have been long solved & forgotten. My advice to you would be to upgrade to 2.3.8 before doing any further debugging.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #10964 is a reply to message #10962] Sat, 14 June 2003 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

thanks for the advise. As you may remember, my current webspace has limits regarding the script execution time. This is the reason, why I changed to my own server.

I am afraid, when updating the Version 2.3.1 on my old webspace, it will not work anymore and even the update itself could create problems.

My idea was, to first of all move it to the new server and then upgrade it to the newest version.

I would really appreciate, if your could support my idea in helping to get the issue fixed.

Thanks in avance and best regards

Michael
Re: importing data after server move [message #10967 is a reply to message #10964] Sat, 14 June 2003 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I don't recall, but how big is your forum? If the forum is quite small then the upgrade process should work fine.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #10971 is a reply to message #10967] Sun, 15 June 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

here is the stats about the size of my FUDForum:
Quote:

FUDforum Include Directory: 0 Kb
Web Dir: 8,986 Kb
Template Dir: 1,369 Kb
Total Disk Usage: 10,355 Kb
MySQL Disk Usage: 10,948 Kb

It contains 3521 Messages with 207 users.

Best regards

Michael
Re: importing data after server move [message #10990 is a reply to message #10971] Mon, 16 June 2003 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm if you server has about 500-700mhz and the php time limit is 3-4 minutes that the upgrade script should be safe to run.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #10994 is a reply to message #10990] Mon, 16 June 2003 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Prottoss,

my PHP Script limit is 6 seconds, which was the reason for changing to my own server.

Sorry but as you can see, the only chance is moving it by todays version.

Best regards

Michael
Re: importing data after server move [message #11035 is a reply to message #10449] Mon, 16 June 2003 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gserban is currently offline  gserban   Netherlands
prottoss wrote on Mon, 02 June 2003 08:37

You can do a datadump manually but you need to do a bit of work.
In addition to dumping the SQL data you need to backup the messages/, files/ and images/ directories of your existing forum.

Then when you install a new forum and overwrite it's databases with the ones from the old forum you'll also need to import the files you've backed up into the appropriate directories.

hello Greethings from holland (sorry my english is not so good)

we did above and we recovered 95% of our forum only the atached files are not recovered.

All the files (1986 FILES) are still be found in the directorie /forum/files in theire i see still file 1.atch until 1986.atch

de files in the message you see only a red cross.

example http://www.mercedesbenzclub.nl/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=125&start=0 &rid=375

what we have to do so that all the files will be vieuw able again and also download able

txs yours Gregor
President Mercedes-Benz Club Netherlands
Re: importing data after server move [message #11036 is a reply to message #11035] Tue, 17 June 2003 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to make sure the webserver can read the file attachments.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #11039 is a reply to message #11036] Tue, 17 June 2003 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Mon, 16 June 2003 22:13

You need to make sure the webserver can read the file attachments.

ty for your quick answer prottoss

the web server is able to read them i think when ik make a new reply with picture then you can see it only not the pitures of the old files

Gregor
Re: importing data after server move [message #11040 is a reply to message #11039] Tue, 17 June 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm i tried accessing the forum but got an SQL error.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #11042 is a reply to message #11040] Tue, 17 June 2003 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the forum is running again i was making a backup of the forum
Re: importing data after server move [message #11043 is a reply to message #11042] Tue, 17 June 2003 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ok, the problem is slightly different from what you've described. The file is actually there, however it's size appears to be 0 bytes, Hence the broken image you are seeing. You need to do several things. 1st of all check the SQL database and make sure that the files sizes are not 0, if they are let me know and I'll tell you what you need to do.

Also, with the forum's file browser go into the files/ directory and see if you can use it successfuly download any of the file attachments.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #11046 is a reply to message #11043] Tue, 17 June 2003 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the files are existing in dir

/var/www/www.mercedesbenzclub.nl/forum/files

you can vieuw them under link

http://www.mercedesbenzclub.nl/forum/files

for exapmle 102.atch is 40kb

server rights are

example for 988.atch and 99.atch

-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 24999 Apr 28 19:54 988.atch
-rw-rw-rw- 1 www-data www-data 39778 Apr 20 02:26 99.atch

[Updated on: Tue, 17 June 2003 13:42]

Re: importing data after server move [message #11047 is a reply to message #11046] Tue, 17 June 2003 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ok, what about the data in SQL? Does the fsize have a >0 value inside the attach table?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #11050 is a reply to message #11047] Tue, 17 June 2003 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you mean the file fud_attach.tbl in

/var/www/www.mercedesbenzclub.nl/forum/sql/mysql

if it is so in that file is written now

# copyright : (C) 2001,2002 Advanced Internet Designs Inc.
# email : forum(at)prohost(dot)org
#
# $Id: fud_attach.tbl,v 1.2 2002/09/12 23:00:58 hackie Exp $
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS {SQL_TABLE_PREFIX}attach;

CREATE TABLE {SQL_TABLE_PREFIX}attach
(
id INT UNSIGNED AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
proto ENUM('LOCAL', 'REMOTE') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'REMOTE',
location CHAR(255) NOT NULL,
original_name CHAR(255),
owner INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
private ENUM('N', 'Y') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'N',
message_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
dlcount INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
mime_type INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
fsize INT NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,

INDEX(message_id,private)
)

[Updated on: Tue, 17 June 2003 13:33]

Re: importing data after server move [message #11051 is a reply to message #11050] Tue, 17 June 2003 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
No, that file contains just the table defenition. I would like you to connect to MySQL and run a query such as this:
SELECT id,size FROM fud25_attach ORDER BY id LIMIT 100;

If your SQL table prefix is not fud25, then change fud25_ to whatever your SQL table prefix is.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #11059 is a reply to message #11051] Tue, 17 June 2003 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We are still working on it we found a map with the name fud23_attach
Re: importing data after server move [message #11060 is a reply to message #11059] Tue, 17 June 2003 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That should be it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: importing data after server move [message #11061 is a reply to message #11060] Tue, 17 June 2003 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmz in Globals.php

$DBHOST_TBL_PREFIX = "fud23_"; /* do not modify this */
Re: importing data after server move [message #11062 is a reply to message #11061] Tue, 17 June 2003 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
ok, so run:
SELECT id,size FROM fud23_attach ORDER BY id LIMIT 100;

FUDforum Core Developer
Pages (2): [1  2    »]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Can not post attachments with Mozilla/Firebird?
Next Topic: My category disappear
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 08:47:43 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02263 seconds