FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Forum Styles » Template & Themes
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Template & Themes [message #1018] Wed, 20 March 2002 00:31 Go to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Does it make sense to allow only a single template to be used on the forum and allow multiple color schemes on that layout?

The color themes would be control via a CSS file and admin can have multiple active schemes from which the users may choose the one they like the best inside their profile control panel.

It makes little sense to me to allow multiple templates, which would mean that there would be different designs (formatting) of the forum people can choose from. I see this as a problem if a person wants to maintain any sort of consistency with the rest of the site's layout.

What do you think?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Template & Themes [message #1042 is a reply to message #1018] Wed, 20 March 2002 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thedryad is currently offline  thedryad   Canada
One of the comments I received about the forum was there was too much "stuff" cluttering the screen. (ie post icons, smiley shortcuts ...) I would offer a barebones version and a full feature version and maybe a no-image version. And maybe a cellphone friendly version.

Just stuff I thought of off the top of my head

Susan Douglas<br>Programmer, Crescent Studio<br><br>"That's the trouble with computers. No IMAGINATION!!!" <br>-- Dr. Who
icon14.gif  Re: Template & Themes [message #1488 is a reply to message #1018] Wed, 17 April 2002 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
freephile is currently offline  freephile   United States
prottoss wrote on Tue, 19 March 2002 7:31 PM

Does it make sense to allow only a single template to be used on the forum and allow multiple color schemes on that layout?

I like the idea. I've done a very similar thing with my homepage at http://www.freephile.com Just click the colored sqares across the top of the page.

The color themes would be control via a CSS file and admin can have multiple active schemes from which the users may choose the one they like the best inside their profile control panel.

I set mine up with php variables, and a form changes those variables. I could make the selection 'stick' by using a cookie

It makes little sense to me to allow multiple templates, which would mean that there would be different designs (formatting) of the forum people can choose from. I see this as a problem if a person wants to maintain any sort of consistency with the rest of the site's layout.

I agree

Now what I'd love to know is: is it easy to change the look/layout of FUDforums as currently built? What if I want to match my existing site design? What if I want to wrap fud forums into my site layout, as if it were "content"? One thing I'd like to do is change the 'home' link so that it goes to the document root, but i'm not sure yet whether changing WWW_ROOT in GLOBALS.php will mess everything else up.

Re: Template & Themes [message #1489 is a reply to message #1488] Wed, 17 April 2002 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum 2 is completly template based so it is 100% customizeable, so you should be able to make it match your site's layout pefectly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Template & Themes [message #1490 is a reply to message #1489] Wed, 17 April 2002 02:32 Go to previous message
freephile is currently offline  freephile   United States
Excellent, i'll give it a whirl on my development server, and can't wait to check it out. Grin
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: My understanding
Next Topic: Hard to understand
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Jul 26 23:53:40 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02511 seconds