FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Suggestions for fud2
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Suggestions for fud2 [message #1497] Wed, 17 April 2002 20:03 Go to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
Hi everyone!

I have at last taken the time to review the alpha version of fud2. As the man behind the Swedish translation I will focus on that, but other things will also be discussed.

• Date formats
    We should really add support for different date formats. In my opinion the i18n isn't for real before it acknowledges that different countries have different ways of writing dates. For instance: in Finland, which is my home country, we write "April 20, 1989" as "20.04.1989". But at the moment fud2 does not seem to know this... Of course this applies also to the user control panel where the birth date setting has the fields in the wrong order.
  • User profile
    The header defaults to a genitive with "'". This does not work in Swedish, where such a construction simply does not exist. A slight fault in the i18n.
    There is a second problem in the user profile as well. The gender seems to be hardcoded in English, as the setting was in Swedish during the registration but suddenly appears in English in the profile view.

Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1499 is a reply to message #1497] Wed, 17 April 2002 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

Date formats have already been fixe, by usage of appropriate locale. That has been fixed since 1.9.8 RC-1.
No as for actual date display format, that can be specified/changed in the templates.

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1530 is a reply to message #1499] Thu, 18 April 2002 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie wrote on Wed, 17 April 2002 11:29 PM

Date formats have already been fixed, by usage of appropriate locale. That has been fixed since 1.9.8 RC-1.

So, in order to have the dates displayed as I want them to, I should specify the proper locale? Should that be systemwide or can it be done elsewhere?
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1537 is a reply to message #1497] Thu, 18 April 2002 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found another hardcoded string. The "Goto Forum" (as shown on the front page of the forum) string is nowhere to be found in the msg file.
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1540 is a reply to message #1537] Thu, 18 April 2002 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Gotcha...

The swedish msg file also contains a number of english strings that were not translated since they were added quite recently. So, if you come across english text, please verify it is because it has been hardcoded.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1544 is a reply to message #1537] Thu, 18 April 2002 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob wrote on Thu, 18 April 2002 8:33 AM

I found another hardcoded string. The "Goto Forum" (as shown on the front page of the forum) string is nowhere to be found in the msg file.

Fixed in latest CVS.

If you want to upgrade grab forumsel.tmpl from the CVS and
english/msg, swedish/msg, german/msg

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1545 is a reply to message #1497] Thu, 18 April 2002 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob wrote on Wed, 17 April 2002 4:03 PM

The gender seems to be hardcoded in English, as the setting was in Swedish during the registration but suddenly appears in English in the profile view.

I've changed the language to swedish on our test forum and gender appears properly translated both during registration & profile editing.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1549 is a reply to message #1545] Thu, 18 April 2002 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Thu, 18 April 2002 6:31 PM

I've changed the language to swedish on our test forum and gender appears properly translated both during registration & profile editing.

Yes, but try to view another users profile. There the text appears in plain english. Male, Female och Unspecified, depending on what the user has selected during registration.
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1551 is a reply to message #1540] Thu, 18 April 2002 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Thu, 18 April 2002 5:51 PM

Gotcha...

The swedish msg file also contains a number of english strings that were not translated since they were added quite recently. So, if you come across english text, please verify it is because it has been hardcoded.

I'm working on those strings right now. I'm also checking out the rest of my translation to see if there are things that could be refined a bit. I'll upload a new version of the msg file soon.
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1552 is a reply to message #1549] Thu, 18 April 2002 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I see... okie will fix...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1572 is a reply to message #1549] Fri, 19 April 2002 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob wrote on Thu, 18 April 2002 2:45 PM

Yes, but try to view another users profile. There the text appears in plain english. Male, Female och Unspecified, depending on what the user has selected during registration.

Fixed in CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1575 is a reply to message #1572] Fri, 19 April 2002 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Fri, 19 April 2002 7:46 AM

djupsjob wrote on Thu, 18 April 2002 2:45 PM

Fixed in CVS.

A small glitch in the fix: it now defaults to female, not unspecified. So if a user does not enter his/her gender, it shows up as female.
Bug in users control panel [message #1577 is a reply to message #1497] Fri, 19 April 2002 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is no default setting for "Show avatars".

Update: OK, it works now. Move on folks, nothing to see here... Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 19 April 2002 19:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1589 is a reply to message #1577] Fri, 19 April 2002 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That is because you're missing the MySQL entry needed for this option.

Since RC-1 there were a number of MySQL changes (a few additions), without those MySQL changes certain parts of the code may not work properly.

If you want you can run those queries yourself, they are listed below:

ALTER TABLE fud2_users ADD show_avatars ENUM('Y', 'N') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'Y';
ALTER TABLE fud_users CHANGE show_sigs show_sigs ENUM('Y', 'N') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'Y';
ALTER TABLE fud_users DROP show_tool_tips;
ALTER TABLE fud_users ADD u_last_post_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
ALTER TABLE fud_forum ADD index(last_post_id);
UPDATE fud_thread SET locked='Y' WHERE replyallowed='N';
ALTER TABLE fud_thread DROP fud_replyallowed;
ALTER TABLE fud_forum ADD message_threshold INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
ALTER TABLE fud_msg ADD offset_preview INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
ALTER TABLE fud_msg ADD length_preview INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
ALTER TABLE fud_msg ADD file_id_preview INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;

*note* if your mysql table prefix is NOT fud2_ change the prefix in the sql queries above.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1590 is a reply to message #1589] Fri, 19 April 2002 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see. Let's see if I got it right: when I install a newer version from CVS I should remove the old one first, including the database.
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1593 is a reply to message #1590] Fri, 19 April 2002 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can install over an old version, that will cause the loss of ALL data you've previously had.
The installation script will replace all the files & re-create the SQL tables from scratch.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1594 is a reply to message #1593] Fri, 19 April 2002 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strange. I have done this once already, but still got the problem with "Show Avatars".

[Updated on: Fri, 19 April 2002 15:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1601 is a reply to message #1594] Fri, 19 April 2002 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Okie, let me look into the situation, it worked fine on my test machine here...

Can you do the following 2 tests:

SELECT show_avatars FROM fud2_users;

see if the field is set.

Also, check that you have a $show_avatar_radio inside register.php file.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1602 is a reply to message #1497] Fri, 19 April 2002 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SunLord is currently offline  SunLord   United States
Here this might work better or least look right then the cheap clones version Razz

ALTER TABLE fud2_users ADD show_avatars ENUM('Y', 'N') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'Y';
ALTER TABLE fud2_users CHANGE show_sigs show_sigs ENUM('Y', 'N') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'Y';
ALTER TABLE fud2_users DROP show_tool_tips;
ALTER TABLE fud2_users ADD u_last_post_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
ALTER TABLE fud2_forum ADD index(last_post_id);
UPDATE fud2_thread SET locked='Y' WHERE replyallowed='N';
ALTER TABLE fud2_thread DROP replyallowed;
ALTER TABLE fud2_forum ADD message_threshold INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
ALTER TABLE fud2_msg ADD offset_preview INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
ALTER TABLE fud2_msg ADD length_preview INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
ALTER TABLE fud2_msg ADD file_id_preview INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
Turning off smilies [message #1648 is a reply to message #1497] Sat, 20 April 2002 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, don't get me wrong. I know how to turn off the smilies completely, forum-wide. This isn't about that.

What I want is to be able to turn them off just for single sentence. Some kind of fudcode equivalent to html's <pre>-tag. Try writing Razz (colon followed by p) and you'll see what I mean.Smile And check out the CVS thread in this forum for a real-life example...
Re: Suggestions for fud2 [message #1649 is a reply to message #1648] Sat, 20 April 2002 19:05 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
The best thing you can currently do, is turn of smilies for an entire message. As you probably know at the bottom of each message there is a "Disable Smilies" checkbox.

When we rewrite (planning to do so before 2.0 release) our FUDcode parser we will see about make sure smilies don't get triggered for certain tags.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: RC-2
Next Topic: Bugs
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 07:33:33 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02545 seconds