FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » 1st step of Installation: Access Rights Settings
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  1st step of Installation: Access Rights Settings [message #15063] Mon, 01 December 2003 09:44 Go to next message
mexxx is currently offline  mexxx   Slovakia
I've tried to install FUDforum on my webserver hosted by my ISP.
But I'm stucked between the 1st and 2nd step of installation.

I've uploaded the install files through ftp to my webserver and ran installation script through my browser.

The installation script told my that the PHP Safemode is on, so I can't install the forum into the folder where the installation files are.

so I set the folders like this:

/home/users/webs/www.mywebsite.com/forum/myforum/
/home/users/webs/www.mywebsite.com/forum/data/
http://www.mywebsite.com/forum/myforum/

I've pressed Next, but the script told me to create those folders manually and chmod them to 777 or change owner to http.

So I created the folders manualy and did chmod to 777 (unfortunately I don't know how to change owner through ftp, because chowner command doesn't work and I don't have shell access).

And then I got this error

Notice: Undefined variable: WINDOWS in /home/users/webs/www.mywebsite.com/forum/install/install.php on line 552

Notice: Undefined variable: WINDOWS in /home/users/webs/www.mywebsite.com/forum/install/install.php on line 552
Couldn't open /home/users/webs/www.mywebsite.com/forum/data/cache/.htaccess for write

I've tried to access the forum/data/cache folder but I've noticed that it's set to 700 and the owner is http.

What else should I do to successfully install this forum? would changing the owner of myforum and data folder to http solve all my problems? if yes does anyone know how to do it?

thnx
Re: 1st step of Installation: Access Rights Settings [message #15064 is a reply to message #15063] Mon, 01 December 2003 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
additional information:
I didn't use zlib compression
and the CRC check of the uploaded files was successful.
Re: 1st step of Installation: Access Rights Settings [message #15065 is a reply to message #15064] Mon, 01 December 2003 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
which version of the forum did you try to install? Try installing the lastest 2.6.0RC.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 1st step of Installation: Access Rights Settings [message #15067 is a reply to message #15065] Mon, 01 December 2003 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used last stable version 2.5.2.
Is in 2.6.0 RC different installing script which will solve this problem?

Anyway, I'll try it.
thnx
Re: 1st step of Installation: Access Rights Settings [message #15068 is a reply to message #15065] Mon, 01 December 2003 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've tried the FUDforum 2.6.0RC7 with zlib compresion.
Everything is the same except for the error message:
Couldn't open /home/users/webs/www.mywebsite.com/forum/data/cache/.htaccess for write

and folder's forum/data/cache chmod is set to 711, user is http

any ideas?

[Updated on: Mon, 01 December 2003 11:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 1st step of Installation: Access Rights Settings [message #15071 is a reply to message #15068] Mon, 01 December 2003 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's doing the same with the 2.6.0 RC8 no compression

[Updated on: Mon, 01 December 2003 13:20]

Re: 1st step of Installation: Access Rights Settings [message #15073 is a reply to message #15071] Mon, 01 December 2003 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Would it be possible to see phpinfo() output from your server?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 1st step of Installation: Access Rights Settings [message #15101 is a reply to message #15073] Tue, 02 December 2003 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got the phpinfo() output for you, my ISP asked my not to publish it on the web, so I used PM for that.

Are you sure that I'm not doing something wrong?
I've copied the installation files on the ftp server (without changing any file permissions, so that folders are set to 705 and files are set to 604). and I ran the install.php script.

and then all those errors, I described in the forum, occured.

I've tried one thing: everytime I got the error that the .htaccess file can't be created I deleted the folder (because I can't gain the ownership as well as change permissions unless I own the file) and created a folder with the same name then clicked <back> in my browser and clicked <next> in the 1st step of the installation. I kept on doing this for a while, but when I got to the folder i18n and I've realized that there is a lot more folder to do this way I stoped. May creating the directory structure on the FTP server help?

and three last questions:
do you know about some way how to change owner through ftp? (despite the fact that the <SITE CHMOD xxx filename> command workds with my ftp a command like <site chowner ..> doesn't)

whould asking my ISP to change the ownership of the Server root and Forum Data root folders to http solve all of this problems?

If I installed the fudforum on my local webserver (which I did with no problem) and then moved the installed files to my webserver provided by ISP, would the forum work the sane as if it was installed on the ISP's server?

thnx a lot
Re: 1st step of Installation: Access Rights Settings [message #15105 is a reply to message #15101] Tue, 02 December 2003 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You cannot change ownership of the files via FTP or even shell unless you have root access.

You can install a forum on a different server move, modify GLOBALS.php change file paths and then login as the admin and rebuild theme. That would work.

I am not sure why are you getting the error you are getting, the only explanation I can see is that somethings chowns (changes user) the files away from the webserver.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 1st step of Installation: Access Rights Settings [message #16433 is a reply to message #15105] Fri, 30 January 2004 09:21 Go to previous message
I'd like to leave a message for EVERYONE running FUDforum with PHP in SAFE MODE.

Don't waste time with chmod-ing file / directories, and doing other workarounds!! Just ask your ISP to chown and chgroup the installation folders and installation script to http.

THAT'S GONNA SOLVE EVERYTHING!!

mexxx

[Updated on: Fri, 30 January 2004 09:22]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Fatal Error at beginning of install
Next Topic: Administrator does not have permission?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 06 06:29:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03203 seconds