FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » install.php causes no action.
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
install.php causes no action. [message #17085] Tue, 16 March 2004 00:44 Go to next message
WilliamBurns is currently offline  WilliamBurns   United States
I have a windows machine on my desk, connected to my IP (Verio), where my site is hosted on linux/apache.

First, I tried to download the ZIP version of the install script, but that does not unpack properly under my windows at least, it gives some messages about being unable to create a folder.

So, I downloaded the tar version, and used WinRAR to open and extract the files.

I created the folders as instructed, and I tested for php and mysql as directed. Neither worked smoothly, but after some discussion with support people, both are up and running.

Then, I read further down on this forum that the install.php script needed to be uploaded in binary mode, so I did that.

In addition to the install.php there was an uninstall.php file in the tar, and there were files named CREDITS, COPYING, and README and README.TXT.

I see all kinds of references in this forum to something called an archive file, which does not seem to be in my download.

Bottom line, I uploaded the install.php to the browsable directory on my site, and it greeted me with a pure white screen, apparently no reaction at all. Can you help me get past this?
Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17095 is a reply to message #17085] Tue, 16 March 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Sounds like there is a problem with the PHP or perhaps your ISP has a memory limit set soo low it cannot load install.php (pretty big file).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17099 is a reply to message #17095] Tue, 16 March 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, the plain white screen is not what happens.
On Netscape 7, I get no action. That is, the cursor changes to an hourglass for a few seconds, and then the existing page (the one that was there before I attempted to browse to install.php) continues to display.

On MSIE when I try it, I get a lengthy delay, followed by a diagnostic screen which says "The page could not be displayed." This messages encourages the browsing person to try again later. I have tried it several times, and it has always given me this diagnostic under MSIE.

I did download again in the Zip format and used PKZip to unpack it, which seems to have worked. So I uploaded the install.php in binary mode from that download, but the performance is exactly the same.

What memory limit should I request (if that is the problem)? Simply enough to hold a 3.8 meg file in user memory?
Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17106 is a reply to message #17099] Wed, 17 March 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The installer is a rather special case so it needs a minimum of 8megs of memory.
Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17128 is a reply to message #17106] Wed, 17 March 2004 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My IP wants me to upgrade service in order to get more memory, but that costs MORE than triple my current monthly fee. Is there a way to install this thing that does not require more than 8 megs of memory?
Can the install.php possibly be broken up into a couple of slightly smaller pieces? Thanks for considering it.
Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17130 is a reply to message #17128] Wed, 17 March 2004 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What is your current memory limit?
Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17135 is a reply to message #17130] Wed, 17 March 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe the memory limit for my server is 8megs for a single script. The tech support guy tried it and reported the following diagnostic message to me:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 6 bytes) in /usr/home/ ... /htdocs/wforum/install.php on line 906
Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17146 is a reply to message #17135] Thu, 18 March 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I see..

Are you using the zlib compression version of the installer or the normal one?
Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17208 is a reply to message #17146] Fri, 19 March 2004 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since I have no clue as to what zlib compression means, nor how to deal with it, I was using the "normal" install.php script. Are you suggesting that the zlib compression will make the install.php script smaller? Do I need to do anything other than unpack (unzip) and upload? In other words, is it handled exactly the same way as the "normal" files? If so, why do you offer two? If not, how can I find out more about zlib compression as you use it?
Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17209 is a reply to message #17208] Fri, 19 March 2004 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If your PHP has zlib compiled try using the zlib compressed archive, it probably will use less memory.
Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17228 is a reply to message #17209] Fri, 19 March 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you. The install.php file appears to want to run with zlib compression. However, upon receiving an initial diagnostic that said I had accidentally uploaded the install.php in ascii mode, and that therefore the archive file was corrupt, I went ahead and removed both the archive file and the install file from the install folder. I uploaded the install.php file again, this time in binary mode, and when I run it I get the following string of messages:

Warning: filesize(): Stat failed for ./fudforum_archive (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/wforum/install.php on line 445

Warning: fopen(./fudforum_archive): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/wforum/install.php on line 446

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/wforum/install.php on line 447

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/wforum/install.php on line 448

Warning: ftell(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/wforum/install.php on line 449

Warning: fseek(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/wforum/install.php on line 449

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/wforum/install.php on line 470

Warning: fread(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/wforum/install.php on line 473
Failed getting archive size from
Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17232 is a reply to message #17228] Sat, 20 March 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wait a minute. I tried restarting the browser, and all of a sudden I can get to the first page or two of install stuff. YES!
However, the questions and information requested are not written in my English!
Do I separately have to use MySQL, before installing, to create a database in the folder I have created? Without creating a file in advance I try giving the install script a made up username, password, and database name, and I get diagnostics saying it can't access or open a database with the name I entered.
Your documentation recommends something about a UNIX socket, and it shows an IP of 27.0.0.1. Is that the IP we are supposed to use in the install script step 2? I have no idea what a UNIX socket is nor how to make one.
Thank you for your relatively prompt and very helpful responses to what must seem like the dumbest string of questions you have ever seen.
Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17249 is a reply to message #17232] Sun, 21 March 2004 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
if you do not know what a UNIX domain socket is, just specify the IP of the server.
icon10.gif  Re: install.php causes no action. [message #17277 is a reply to message #17249] Mon, 22 March 2004 17:12 Go to previous message
Thank you.
I would never have been able to do so without your help, but
I have been able to complete the install.
Now for another wave of questions about configuring!
I will start another thread for that stuff.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: no login after reenabling the forum
Next Topic: upgrade problem
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 06:40:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02646 seconds