FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Getting a list of unread subscribed postings
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Getting a list of unread subscribed postings [message #17778] Sun, 18 April 2004 17:28 Go to next message
wfjmueller is currently offline  wfjmueller   Germany
I wonder what the most efficient way in FUD is to get a list of subscribed but unread topics and postings. In some sense I'd like a list quite similar to the "Subscriptions" list in my profile, but limited to the unread ones and of course without the "unsubscribe" link. It be very handy if such a list would be offered in the "home" view whenever there is at least one unread subscribed topic or posting, similar to the link appearing when there are unread PM's.

Even though this seems a quite obvious issue, I have not yet found how to obtain such a list in FUD. But maybe I have overlooked something trivial.
Re: Getting a list of unread subscribed postings [message #17781 is a reply to message #17778] Sun, 18 April 2004 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
If you click on the "unread messages" link it'll display all the messages you have not yet read. You can then click on one or both of the "subscribed" links at the top, which will then only show the unread messages inside the topics/forums you are subscribed to.
icon5.gif  Re: Getting a list of unread subscribed postings [message #17796 is a reply to message #17781] Mon, 19 April 2004 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Sun, 18 April 2004 19:53

If you click on the "unread messages" link it'll display all the messages you have not yet read. You can then click on one or both of the "subscribed" links at the top, which will then only show the unread messages inside the topics/forums you are subscribed to.

I have seen and tried this, but the complete semantics of this dialog is not really clear to me. I observed, that after clicking on "unread messages" and than twice on "Subscribed Forums" all the topics/messages were marked as 'read'.

So it seems, that looking at "unread messages" has, at least under certain circumstances, the side effect that all is marked 'read'. Clearly, this way it is very easy to overlook something.

I'd prefer a logic which clearly separates two things:
  1. showing the list of unread topics/messages
  2. reading the content

and having a topic/message only marked read if step 2 is explicitely taken. In some sense step 1 gives just a list of tasks and doesn't change the state of the system.

In this spirit I wrote the initial proposal, to have a dialog similar to the 'subscription list' in the profile, combined with a colored indicatior similar to the 'unread PM' one.
Re: Getting a list of unread subscribed postings [message #17804 is a reply to message #17796] Mon, 19 April 2004 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Clicking on unread messages link at the bottom of the page will mark all messages on the page as read.
Re: Getting a list of unread subscribed postings [message #17807 is a reply to message #17804] Mon, 19 April 2004 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Mon, 19 April 2004 20:02

Clicking on unread messages link at the bottom of the page will mark all messages on the page as read.

Sorry, I must have been very imprecise in my posting. I'm not looking for a way to mark everything as 'read'.

I'm looking for a reliable way to work through postings in forum and/or topics I have subscribed. The "Unread Messages" functions seems to have the side effect, that all messages are marked 'read' when this page is opened, at least, when the "Subscribed Forums" option is toggled. This forces me to handle all the stuff in one go, which often not possible.

So I'd love to have a dialog which shows a list of unread subscribed messages, just the titles, not the content, and which doesn't have any side effects like marking them read. This would allow me to read the most pressing things, handle them one by one, without loosing the information of what is still not read.
Re: Getting a list of unread subscribed postings [message #17834 is a reply to message #17807] Tue, 20 April 2004 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Something to this affect was added in the form of a user control panel.
Re: Getting a list of unread subscribed postings [message #17946 is a reply to message #17834] Tue, 27 April 2004 12:50 Go to previous message
Great. Just had a look at it in this 2.6.3RC2 installation, and it is exactly the sort of 'to-answer' task list I was thinking about.

Thanks a lot for this great dialog.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: How to Change User Profiles Globally
Next Topic: News readers and FudForum
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 04:43:07 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02645 seconds