FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » After moving forum, Private Messages don't work
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
After moving forum, Private Messages don't work [message #20113] Mon, 27 September 2004 02:42 Go to next message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
I did a mysqldump, moved all data/html files and sql dump to new box, setup dir structure/permissions, created db/user/pass, imported sql dump into db, no errors listed.

Rebuilt themes, everything seemed to work fine on new box.

Users are now reporting that Private Messages are not working. 'No Message Body' is displayed in all PM's set since forum was moved.

Looking in _pmsg table, id 11927 was last id before move, next row is id 11999.

id 11927 foff=2705237,length=1463
next row in table is
id 11999 foff=2722385,length=0
and ALL the rest of the rows have length=0, but ffof seems to be fine for each row.

I checked the _msg table, and its foff and length fields do not have the same problem.

Ran consistancy checker, no change.

Main difference between old and new server is that old has php as apache module, while new has php as cgi module and all cgi/php/pl are run as suexec, which means that all php files have to have o+rx on them in order to run. (tried default file permissions, the php scripts wouldn't run due to suexec errors) I've also set all dirs to o+rx

So, I don't know what caused the id to jump from 11927 to 11999, or where the rows went that refer to the 15685 bytes between the end of the one PM and the start of the next row's foff.

Also, I don't know why all the length fields in all rows since the forum move are zero or what I can do about it.

I probably can calculate the length fields based on the foff fields, but problem will probably continue until root cause is found.

FYI: FUDforum version 2.3.5.
I know its WAY old, but I've made many changes to support my rank -points system and don't have the time to recode it into the latest version plus redo all my look/feel changes (colors etc).

Edit: old box was PHP 4.3.1, new server is PHP 4.3.4
I'm seeing URLs that talk about PHP's ftell command giving undefined results for append-only streams. Looks like I need to modify the write_pmsg_body function in private.inc.t to make ftell compatible with PHP 4.3.4

Edit:
added
fseek($fp, 0, SEEK_END);
to the write_pmsg_body function right before the first line that uses ftell. That fixed the problem, private messages now work.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2004 04:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: After moving forum, Private Messages don't work [message #20121 is a reply to message #20113] Mon, 27 September 2004 12:46 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I sounds like an old bug in the forum, looking @ the new message writing code is much better & safer. If you are still having the problem you can just grab the message writing function from current release and replace yours with it. Those functions are still compatible, iirc.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: can't get into groupmanager
Next Topic: Can't find file: 'fud1_fc_view.MYD'
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 23:20:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02283 seconds