FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26353] Sat, 16 July 2005 20:18 Go to next message
lepus is currently offline  lepus   United States
I have a user who recently switched from IE to Firefox. Now she can't log in to my site. I've searched the forums but can't find anyone else reporting this problem. Any ideas on what could be going wrong? My Fud Forum build is 2.6.8RC1.

Here is what she has done using a computer running Win XP:

Deleted cookies, cleared cache ..both on IE & FF

added DA site to "always allow cookies" in options of FF

Cleared stored passwords, in both IE & FF

Tried logging in with the cookies box checked & unchecked.

Tried logging in without storing password

Rebooted.

turned off all the Mcafee stuff
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26357 is a reply to message #26353] Sun, 17 July 2005 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you try upgrading, you are using a fairly old version. I am using Firefox 1.0.5 myself and see no login problems.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26370 is a reply to message #26353] Mon, 18 July 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, I upgraded. I will see if it is her and not the forums now.

Thanks.
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26371 is a reply to message #26353] Tue, 19 July 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The upgrade did not fix the issue with Firefox. The user cannot log in.

Also, people are still experiencing problems with AOL. They can log in and view one topic but when they try to go to another page they are asked to login again.

I thought the AOL problem was fixed?
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26372 is a reply to message #26371] Tue, 19 July 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It was addressed a while back, I have had no complains on some of our other test boards.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26373 is a reply to message #26353] Tue, 19 July 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is something wrong with this person's computer. I just have no idea what.

No one else is having issues with FF, myself included.

I have to check to see if anyone is still having problems with AOL, but I tend to doubt it.

Thanks for your help though.
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26374 is a reply to message #26353] Tue, 19 July 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are the forum settings supposed to be in terms of cookies and session settings in order for AOL to work?

I am having a problem with AOL still. I downloaded the AOL v9.0 Security Edition SE to test the problem out. I am getting logged out on this site as well as my own.

I logged onto my site, looked at a couple of topics and then after I clicked about 3 or 4 topics I was logged out. The same thing happened at fudforum.org. On both sites I have periodically been prevented from logging in entirely.

Are there certain settings that the AOL browser should have in order to work correctly? If so, could you please tell me what they are? I've been messing with the settings and I am still encountering problems.

Thank you.
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26378 is a reply to message #26374] Tue, 19 July 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well the AOL fix that was applied involved a check for "AOL" inside the the user-agent header and if it was present ignoring the IP information for the purpose of cookie/session validation.

When the problem occured for you, were you using the AOL browser, or a genuine browser like Firefox,IE,Opera installed on your system?

Do you have a tool such as ethereal that could be used to record the TCP/IP communication between your machine and the server, which can be used to create the transaction record?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26380 is a reply to message #26378] Tue, 19 July 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Also check your settings to make sure that the following are not enabled:
Session Referrer Check & Session IP Validation.

You may also want to try enabling Use Session Cookies and disabling URL sessions.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26385 is a reply to message #26378] Tue, 19 July 2005 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Tue, 19 July 2005 09:09

When the problem occured for you, were you using the AOL browser, or a genuine browser like Firefox,IE,Opera installed on your system?

I was using the AOL browser. Isn't the AOL browser built on IE to some extent though? Yes, I know AOL sucks. I do not use it. But for some reason a few people think it is a good browser and are refusing to use anything else.

Quote:

Do you have a tool such as ethereal that could be used to record the TCP/IP communication between your machine and the server, which can be used to create the transaction record?

No, I don't even know what that is. If it would help you to solve the problem in upcoming releases I will be glad to look into how to install and use it.
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26386 is a reply to message #26380] Tue, 19 July 2005 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Tue, 19 July 2005 09:23

Also check your settings to make sure that the following are not enabled:
Session Referrer Check & Session IP Validation.

You may also want to try enabling Use Session Cookies and disabling URL sessions.

When I did that people using IE and Firefox kept getting logged out.

I'll mess with more again tonight and see if I find anything new to report.

Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26387 is a reply to message #26386] Tue, 19 July 2005 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
AOL browser is a modified IE yes, however AOL browser unlike the stock browser you'll find on your system goes through AOL proxies. This process is what is causing endless problems.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26401 is a reply to message #26353] Wed, 20 July 2005 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ok, had to install AOL 9 to test the problem out, I must say that AOL browser is the worst POS I have ever has the misfortune of dealing with.

Anyhow, after a bunch of tinkering I was able to come up with a patch that seems to make things "work" for it. You can try it out for yourself
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=7128

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26404 is a reply to message #26353] Wed, 20 July 2005 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenjb is currently offline  kenjb   United States
Ilia,

I suggest immediate action. Please move quickly to the decontamination station to your left. Wink

I voluntarily worked with AOL for a few years. I’m contaminated for life!

Although I have no constructive input for this thread. Firefox 1.6 has been relased now.

kenjb
Re: Firefox 1.0.5 - user unable to log in [message #26405 is a reply to message #26404] Wed, 20 July 2005 15:54 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
kenjb wrote on Wed, 20 July 2005 11:29

Ilia,

I suggest immediate action. Please move quickly to the decontamination station to your left. Wink

I voluntarily worked with AOL for a few years. I’m contaminated for life!

Although I have no constructive input for this thread. Firefox 1.6 has been relased now.

I think I need a stiff drink or better yet several of those after dealing with AOL Browser...

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: fudapi.inc.php
Next Topic: No Avatar upload
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 03:50:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03308 seconds