FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Two minor issues
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Two minor issues [message #3114] Wed, 12 June 2002 10:47 Go to next message
Olliver   Germany
Hi,
the first problem is the following. Embedding a smiley into a sentence may not always work. for instance if u have to use special characters to separate parts of it: Example:
Smile . Works, because there's a space in between
:). doesn't. Same is with any other character. Default behavior in the old 1.x series was that the smiley would be triggered even if there was an question/exclamation mark, colon, comma or full stop.

2nd Problem:
if u want to dedicate an answer especially to a member u will start with something like "@member: " and then go ahead. However if u set this at the very beginning of ur post, @member will be transferred to a mailto link. This strongly looks like a unintentional behavior in my eyes Wink
bye Ken
Re: Two minor issues [message #3115 is a reply to message #3114] Wed, 12 June 2002 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
There's another one:
no matter how high I set the number of moderators to be shown on the frontpage, it'll be always two of them. Admin controlpanel shows the correct number.
bye Ken

[Updated on: Wed, 12 June 2002 11:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Two minor issues [message #3125 is a reply to message #3115] Wed, 12 June 2002 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Both are intentional, allow me to explain why.

The smilies, are no longer done by regex, and require a valid separator character before & after it for the smiley to trigger. The reason this is done is so that smilies do not trigger in wrong place such as :pserver:anonymous etc...
Although, it probably would make sence to allow ',' and '.' to be valid separators, since smilies can occur right before those characters in normal sentences.

The email link behavior is identical to the one in most mail clients, if you try any mail client that tries to automatically pickup on emails within a message you will see the same kind of behaviour. The reason behind this, is so that non-internet email address' are supported, such as me@myhome.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Two minor issues [message #3130 is a reply to message #3125] Wed, 12 June 2002 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
hm, but look: the email link is only generated when @anyone stands at the beginning. it does not occur if it appears somewhere else, so I would consider it as a bug, or at least irritating because if I type an email address I will use a user@company format. Concerning the smileys I'd say far the most of them I use to place either right before the end of a sentence or a part of it (seperated by comma, colon whatever). So this will occur quite often. Though it's still ur choice which I will respect I think allowing to place smileys before these characters would be far more useful to me.
Just my humble opinion Wink
bye Ken

[Updated on: Wed, 12 June 2002 17:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Two minor issues [message #3136 is a reply to message #3130] Wed, 12 June 2002 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The smiley issue has been resolved in CVS.

Now, ',', '.', '?', '!' are valid smiley separators, so it will triger on smilies followed and/or preceded by those characters.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Two minor issues [message #3137 is a reply to message #3130] Wed, 12 June 2002 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ken, I do not believe I understand the issue completely.

user@company works and works correctly

@company does not work, as it shouldn't since @company is not a valid address.

Where is the problem?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Two minor issues [message #3155 is a reply to message #3137] Wed, 12 June 2002 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
@prottoss

Do u see that? as u said, it's not a valid address, however it will be generated as such. This is what I meant.
bye Ken
Re: Two minor issues [message #3156 is a reply to message #3155] Wed, 12 June 2002 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ah... I see...

The bug only occures if the @blah is the 1st thing in the message.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Two minor issues [message #3157 is a reply to message #3156] Wed, 12 June 2002 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Olliver   Germany
exactly and this had been the reason I wrote
Quote:

However if u set this at the very beginning of ur post, @member will be transferred to a mailto link
Smile
Sometimes live demonstrations are more convincing, aren't they? Wink
bye Ken
Re: Two minor issues [message #3158 is a reply to message #3157] Wed, 12 June 2002 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

Ken Kizaki wrote on Wed, 12 June 2002 13:16

exactly and this had been the reason I wrote
Quote:

However if u set this at the very beginning of ur post, @member will be transferred to a mailto link
Smile
Sometimes live demonstrations are more convincing, aren't they? Wink
bye Ken

Sometimes? always....

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Two minor issues [message #3159 is a reply to message #3115] Wed, 12 June 2002 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hackie is currently offline  hackie   Canada
Core Developer

Ken Kizaki wrote on Wed, 12 June 2002 07:58

There's another one:
no matter how high I set the number of moderators to be shown on the frontpage, it'll be always two of them. Admin controlpanel shows the correct number.
bye Ken

Ok the prob here is that they are "cached", so we don't trash mysql pointlessly upon index page requests (and there is no convent way to make it fast with mysql with some sort of neat join hack), however when you change the moderation stuff with the user manager it cache gets rebuilt, so the problem was that no one checked whether this setting was changed in the globals control panel and bothered to rebuild the cache, should be fixed now.

3 Files
admmodfrm.php
admglobals.php
adm.inc

cc intelligence.c -o intelligence
$ ./intelligence
Segmentation fault
Re: Two minor issues [message #3163 is a reply to message #3114] Wed, 12 June 2002 18:30 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
The incorrect pickup on invalid email address' has been fixed in CVS.

Thanks for the report.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: No messages
Next Topic: 1.2.8 -> 2.0.1 woes
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:29:00 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02960 seconds