FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » SEO Friendly Mod + Speed issues
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
SEO Friendly Mod + Speed issues [message #28739] Tue, 08 November 2005 13:29 Go to next message
hossam is currently offline  hossam   Egypt
Good day,

I have found this great forum yesterday and have been impressed of the quality features it provides.

I have installed FUDforum into apache 2.0.50 + php 4.4 server with success. However there is two critical issues I would need help in..

1- I am planning to import around 100.000 articles from usenet and mailing lists. What would be an estimated time to do that? I have imported a 100 test articles in around 10 minutes, does that mean I would need 10.000 minutes to do so or is there any restrictions?

2- I would need the forums to appear like this: forumname.com/thread/xxx/yyy and forumname.com/post/xxx/article_title.html. I understand that this is beyond the path_info feature which unfortunately works with apache 1 only versions, while I have apache 2. But then again I am sure this is possible using mod_rewrite and some php scripting.

Can anyone help me with these two issues?

Cheers,
Hossam
Re: SEO Friendly Mod + Speed issues [message #28781 is a reply to message #28739] Fri, 11 November 2005 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I think you'll find that most of the delay is actually in the message retrieval, you may want to explore downloading all messages to local disk or getting an archive and then importing things from there.

The PATH_INFO feature works fine in Apache 2, you may need to tweak your web server config if it does not. If you want .html urls however, I'm afraid mod_rewrite is the only way to go.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: SEO Friendly Mod + Speed issues [message #28798 is a reply to message #28781] Fri, 11 November 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concerning Apache 2 and Path_Info, I found out that you can enable this feature by configuring /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf or generally your apache configuration file by setting the following value..

AcceptPathInfo On

However, it seems that i would need some tweaks using mod_rewrite and modifying the template files in such a way that /forum/index.php/ would be read as /forum/anythingelse/

As for the speed issue, I will try exploring what you recommended.
Re: SEO Friendly Mod + Speed issues [message #28817 is a reply to message #28798] Fri, 11 November 2005 18:19 Go to previous message
You were correct in your assumbtion.
It appears that the newsserver I was using, which is free BTW, was slow. When trying another one I was able to collect 10.000 articles in 15 minutes.

Appearenly FUDforum is the forum that I need really and worth the time investment to make something out of it. Once I find, or someone finds me the correct mod_rewrite rules and respective template modification, I would be able to go online.

BTW, I suggest having the information about "AcceptPathInfo On" in my last post in the documentation in the next version for a convenience for this great forum users.

Keep it up!

Cheers,
Hossam
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Avatar galleries
Next Topic: Pruning Large Membership Rolls
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 05 23:08:13 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02821 seconds