FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Auto-refresh
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon12.gif  Auto-refresh [message #3639] Tue, 02 July 2002 20:59 Go to next message
Hkkathome is currently offline  Hkkathome   Sweden
Wouldn't it be great with an autorefresh function for the forum.

I mean, ones you load a page a timer starts. After, for example, 1 minute the page auto-refreshs and the user sees all the new post which arrived that minute!

I would like that function...please!

Hkkathome(TM) as always...
Re: Auto-refresh [message #3641 is a reply to message #3639] Tue, 02 July 2002 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
It would be rather annoying if you are reading a large post and suddendly the page refreshes and you loose your position. I personally would get quite upset if that were to happen to me.
Autorefreshes would also put an unnecessary load on the server since the forum's pages will constantly be reloaded even when there is no need to.

Bad feature IMHO.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Auto-refresh [message #3642 is a reply to message #3641] Tue, 02 July 2002 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I'll see but it doesn't have to be 1 minute. It could be 10 minutes or whatever.

Then the auto-refresh should only work on the frontpages (not the message-tree). Still not good idea?

Re: Auto-refresh [message #3648 is a reply to message #3642] Tue, 02 July 2002 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I still thinking that forcing a refresh on a user is a bad idea. In general people do not stay more then few seconds on the front page anyway but rather move into the forums of their interest.
Also, s'pose a person leaves a browser open on the front page even with a 10 minute refresh, now lets say this user leaves for school/work and comes back 8 hours later. In that time that user's browser has caused just under 500 database queries and has download an arbitrary amount of data, uselessly causing unecessary traffic.

I do not see such a feature becoming a part of the standard distribution. However, it does not mean you cannot you cannot add it yourself, since such a feature would require just a tiny bit of JavaScript code you can easily add it by modifying the index.tmpl template.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Auto-refresh [message #3652 is a reply to message #3648] Tue, 02 July 2002 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I'll see. I'll do it myself instead. One (a simple user) can do it him self as well. Simple make the page a two-frame page (one 100% and one *) then auto-refresh on the 100%-frame.

I'm allready using it! Smile

I like it, but I see you point.

ps. Of course I close my browser when leave home! Very Happy

Re: Auto-refresh [message #3809 is a reply to message #3652] Sat, 06 July 2002 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
morgoth is currently offline  morgoth   Sweden
What about refreshing when you recieve a PM?
is this possible?

i hink it could be feature in next version
Re: Auto-refresh [message #3811 is a reply to message #3809] Sat, 06 July 2002 19:15 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
What for? The next time you access any forum page there would already be an indicator of a new private message.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: A realtime CHAT function
Next Topic: private messages
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 23:31:36 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04844 seconds