|Re: FUDforum Failed decompressing the archive
|Wed, 03 June 2009 19:07
I don't know about bizarre, the computer I am using has just been redone (New bios, hard drive, new OS, video card, new software with the newest upgrades etc across the board) so I am still ironing out the kinks as you might expect.
Had I installed Ver 2.8.1 six weeks ago it would not have been a problem because my FTP client was already set to use Binary the error just brought it to my attention so I could change my setting that, that information was contained in the error message is a real benefit to me.
So am I to assume that "SMARTFTP" uploads in Binary by default?
So far I am really liking 2.8.1's new features particularly the context sensitive help and backup download and upload features; they have really put some work into it and are well on their way towards making it user friendly.
I am still running into some minor issues that I have not resolved yet like being logged off after making or updating posts or profile info, but I think 2.8.1 is a major improvement over previous versions from an amateurs point of view.
In my humble opinion it is the best improvement I have seen since I began using FUDforum in 2006.
| Post by nozafc is ignored
|FUDforum Failed decompressing the archive
|Wed, 03 June 2009 11:44
On my 1st installation using a zip archive with zlib compression, I received this error when going to page 2:
Warning: gzuncompress() [function.gzuncompress]: data error in /home/.server/user/Domain.name/install.php on line 560
Failed decompressing the archive
Rather than piddle around with trying to interpret the error all day I loaded the zip archive without zlib, and on installation I encountered this error when going to page 2:
Archive did not pass checksum test, CORRUPT ARCHIVE!
If you've encountered this error it means that you've:
downloaded a corrupt archive
uploaded the archive in ASCII and not BINARY mode
your FTP Server/Decompression software/Operating System added un-needed cartrige return (' ') characters to the archive, resulting in archive corruption.
Obviously I did not use a corrupt archive since both were new downloads, so I moved to the next error uploading as (ASCII/BINARY).
Since I use FileZilla as an FTP client, I changed the "transfer type" by clicking transfer> transfer type> and selecting Binary as opposed to Auto (which appears to be the default mode for FileZilla).
And program uploaded and installed without error!
Conclusion: use Binary to upload and transfer installation and critical files (slower but better) and I like it when the Developers incorporate trouble shooting information into the error codes...... I like it a lot!