FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Imported messages » comp.lang.php » php includes and ajax
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
php includes and ajax [message #173087] Sun, 20 March 2011 22:16 Go to previous message
Lwangaman is currently offline  Lwangaman
I've been experimenting with ajax functionality in the past few months, but I'm having different results on different web hosts...

My biggest difficulty has to do with the path for php file includes. Here's my situation:

My CMS defines some functions for checking user permissions in a file called "functions.php" in this path: "/include".

Before enabling certain functionalities on the javascript side (such as administrative buttons in a jquery-ui dialog) I want to check if the user has administrative privileges. So I create a php file for this check, for example I want to check if the user is a news administrator so I name the file "newsadmin.php" and put it in the "/themes/glorioso/ajax" folder.
"/themes/glorioso/ajax/newsadmin.php" does an include of "/include/functions.php", then calls the function that checks whether the current user has news administration privileges; if this returns true I echo out "isnewsadmin", otherwise "isnotnewsadmin".

From my javascript I make an ajax call to "newsadmin.php", if the returned value is "isnewsadmin" I add administrative buttons, otherwise I don't.

My javascript file is in "/themes/glorioso/javascripts/glorioso.js".
When I'm working on a website on the aruba shared hosting (http://www.aruba..it/) I can only get my include to work like this:
<?php
require_once($_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]."/include/functions.php");
if (is_news_admin()) { echo "isnewsadmin"; }
else { echo "isnotnewsadmin"; }
?>

This doesn't work on an altervista shared hosting (http://it.altervista.org/). The only way I can get it to work an altervista shared hosting is by changing directories:

<?php
chdir("..");
chdir("..");
chdir("..");
require_once("include/flatnux.php");
if (is_news_admin()) { echo "isnewsadmin"; }
else { echo "isnotnewsadmin"; }
?>

Since I'm trying to write a theme for the Flatnux CMS that anyone else can use, I'd like a "universal solution" that can work for anyone on any webserver.
I suppose I could do a check for file existence before the include:
<?php
if(file_exists($_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]."/include/functions.php")){
require_once($_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]."/include/flatnux.php");
}
else {
chdir("..");
chdir("..");
chdir("..");
require_once("include/functions.php");
}
if(is_news_admin()){
echo "isnewsadmin";
}
else{
echo "isnotnewsadmin";
}
?>

I'd like to understand better the principles behind this stuff though, if there is a standard way of doing the file includes that'll work on every server in ajax calls...
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message