FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Imported messages » comp.lang.php » Why PHP?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Why PHP? [message #180660] Fri, 08 March 2013 07:14 Go to previous message
clayjar is currently offline  clayjar
I'm a developer at a small but fast growing team at a university medical group. We've had a separate team working on an EMR system for many years on a Windows platform (using C# language), and it's still a big mess mostly due to early but poor architectural decisions. I've been working on a (non-patient data) administrative data system for over 3 years on a LAMP platform. The system I've developed, including the framework designed around the needs of our team, is very stable, easily extensible, user-friendly, and multisite capable.

We're at a point where the EMR system has to be refactored completely inside out for it to be sustainable and viable for mobile access and for other needs. We need to get buy-ins from the .NET/C#/Visual Studio/Windows team as well as from our boss. A particular individual on the C# team likes the word "enterprise" a lot and still believes PHP to be a mere toy that kids play around with to build Personal Home Pages. Apparently, he hasn't been keeping himself up-to-date on web development scene.

I need to present a strong case for choosing the LAMP platform, and PHP in particular. I have a very strong, intuitive notion about why LAMP is more suited for web applications than Windows-based alternatives, and experience to back it up, however, I lack professional knowledge about the difference between the two. What page or what information would you recommend to convince somewhat that LAMP platform is better suited for web apps? (Or PHP vs. C#). I have searched enough and pursued this information online, however, it is difficult to ascertain the objectivity due to salient biases and other factors.

I've been using PHP to build many websites for over a decade, and I try to avoid any type of argument for or against a language, because it really depends on how one uses the tools to get something done, although the quality of tool being used does matter to certain degree. The point of this exercise really comes down to trying to convince others to use the framework I've built over the years which is now capable enough to accommodate for more complex systems. The language I happened to use is PHP and the platform is LAMP. If I had started on JSP using Java I wouldn't be doing this, as my friend in our Windows-platform team believes Java to be "enterprise-ready" but not PHP. I'm sincerely asking the PHP community here to point me to some objective materials to help convince my (very pro-Microsoft) coworker and our boss that LAMP stack is a VERY viable alternative to other proprietary platforms.

Thank you for your help.
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Re: Cloud Computing with PHP
Next Topic: Stats comp.lang.php (last 7 days)
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 19:01:12 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04135 seconds