FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Very long buttons URLs create large thread pages
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Very long buttons URLs create large thread pages [message #8379] Sat, 25 January 2003 03:16 Go to previous message
tecmes is currently offline  tecmes   Canada
This is not a bug but is a bit of an issue, eventhough I thing nothing can be made about this I wanted to point this out :

Comparing my slimmed-down FUDforum with other phpBB based forums, I noticed that eventhough FUDforum may be faster "behind the scenes", the pages it produces are actually quite big. By looking at the generated source, I noticed that a major part of the thread pages "weight" comes from the buttons which link to coded URL like this one for example :
Quote:

http://www.forum.org/fudforum/index.php?t=ppost&msg_to_list=amridus& ;amp ;amp ;returnto=%2Ffudforum%2Findex.php%3Ft%3Dmsg%26th%3D19%26rid%3E1%26S%3D55fb1 8cee6ae3109efd2e648e51e39db%26pl_view%3D%16start%3D0%23msg_899%23msg_872&am p;am p;am p;rid=1&S=15fb18cee6da3109efd2e648f51e39db

Multiply this long string by the numbers of action-buttons per post times number of posts per page and you get a lot more bytes used for these links that for actual text. The result are 50-150kb pages which take quite a long time to load on RTC connections.

I wouldn't point this out if I didn't noticed that phpBB does NOT use this kind of lengthy coding for links. Surely there is a deep-going technical reason for this difference, but couldn't something be done in a future FUDforum iteration ?

[Updated on: Sat, 25 January 2003 03:19]

Report message to a moderator

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: blank post title
Next Topic: Help! Bug in mail list sincronization...
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 17:24:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04278 seconds