FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » User/Group Management
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
User/Group Management [message #1889] Wed, 24 April 2002 13:38 Go to previous message
Olliver   Germany
Hi,
I played a bit around with that feature and I really like it a lot. However there are some things which I think that could be improved. When setting up the rights there are the pre-defined masks called "anonymous" and "all registerred users" which is quite practical. But once I want to setup a rule for moderators or administrators I need to type in each name manually, set the rights manually and assign them to a forum or category. This is quite unpractical once u have a lot of forums and u want to set the rights more explicitely.
So my proposal would be that u first create a new mask like for instance "phreaks" or "trolls" and define for the rights for it. Then u just add the people who are supposed to have the same rights granted. In the group editor u could easily assign those masks to the forums/categories just like with "anonymous" or "all registerred users" I think this would be more convenient, since u can speed up the process of assigning rights to people. Another advantage would be that configuring the rights would be self explanatory since u derive it by the name of the mask u chose.
There's anopther thing I'd like to mention. If a forum/category is set to be inaccessible for anonymous and ordinary registerred users they still will be able to see the headings of topics created both in the "spylog" and the "last topic" feature on the frontpage together with a direct link to the post (to which access will be denied though). By the time there are discussions about sensitive issues the public shouldn't know about it could be pretty disturbing I think (imagine mods and admins would discuss about some members behaviour and how to react on it, and the affected ppl know by the heading that they re subject of a discussion). My proposal would be only to make things visible that are granted by the viewer's rights. For instance u could show in the example given a plain "not for ur eyes" to indicate that access is restricted. Ok, would be another phrase to be translated but it would improve privacy Smile
bye
Ken
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message