FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » any good way to hide individual topics (trying to kill SPAM in nntp linked forum!)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
any good way to hide individual topics [message #36068] Fri, 02 March 2007 05:45 Go to previous message
rdthoms is currently offline  rdthoms   United States
I have a FUDforum linked to a few nntp newsgroups. These are high quality newsgroups but still the occasional SPAM message comes through. I'm trying to moderate my forum by hiding the SPAM so the forum readers don't have to see it.

The problem is that I can delete the original SPAM message but then when others respond to the newsgroup with messages like "don't spam here" or worse flame wars erupt, then all of those responses come in as new topics and also have to be deleted.

I searched around and it seems that you cannot hide individual posts but you can move posts to a hidden board. So that is what I'm doing. I was hoping that I could move the offending topic to a hidden "Trash" board and then future nntp syncs would automatically put any responses to the SPAM topic also into the trash board but it seems that the nntp sync does not do that.

Am I missing something or do I need to go in and start hacking? If hacking is required - any suggestions?

I'm thinking I'd never have to "lock" a topic on a nntp forum so I could just "lock" the SPAM and then put in a hack to hide "locked" topics.

Thanks,
Richard
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message